Cost differences Mexico v Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't let overconfidence be your weakness.
That's not an issue. I have a healthy respect for the dangers of the cave and believe heavily in progressive penetration and knowing the cave well before pushing further. I see how some of these "issues" people have with how lines are set up in MX could be a problem. My instructors focused on cave and line awareness just as much as they did the standard physical skills of cave diving. I think appropriate awareness can be a deterrent to alot of the problems these line differences can cause.

Doesn't mean I'm perfect. I had an incident in France where a poor understanding of the jacked up lines led to me taking a slightly different route out than planned. That incident reinforced the signifcance of cave awareness to me. I'm probably more cautious than most.

You might be referring to a different case than the one rjack321 referenced. The one I am referring to was only a couple years ago. In this case, it appears the diver was at fault for not marking his own jump properly. Confused by contradictory arrows leading to different places, he apparently tried to exit in the wrong direction after pulling his jump, realized his mistake, and did not have enough gas to get back. He was diving solo, so that is all an inference from his computer, etc.

Same cave system different fatality

It has been years but is the jump to the Lockwood Tunnel in EN still 2' or so?
I think it's a bit farther. But the abyss room is like 8 inches. A certain someone nearly had an anyurism when I wrote that I make it a T.

The only issue I have had with lines in the Mexican caves is the disintegration of the lines in 4 or 5 years in the saltwater caves. Not really an issue on the mainland but on Cozumel you have to be careful. I have had them break and leave me without a continous guideline to the surface. As far as navigation I haven't seen anything worse than what is in some of the river caves in Florida. There are some caves in Florida with 4 or 5 lines running in the same direction due to the damage done during floods.

you'd probably be able to almost instantly sort out your position.
Been there and done precisely that.

A certain someone nearly had an anyurism when I wrote that I make it a T.

Who would that be?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom