Cost for servicing gear each year??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marty Bess

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Sorry newbie with two questions.

(First) - Does anyone know a typical price for getting my new gear serviced next year when I get ready to take my vacation? (Regulator, first & second stage plus octo).

(Second) - Do the gauges need serviced each year, if so how much is that?

Thanks,
Marty

1. There is NO typical price for servicing. Some brands are more expensive than others. Some dive shops will try to make more money and charge you accordingly. Some manufacturers offer life time guarantee but require you to have the reg serviced at its own distributors every yr.
2. If you call changing the o-rings and the spool as service. DIY.

For your reg set, a 1st and two 2nd stages, probably between $150 to $200. The gauge doesn’t really need to be serviced but your dive shop might change out the O-rings in the spool if you ask them.
Your BCD doesn’t really need anything done if you’ve rinsed it well after diving. They can go years with no problems.
If you have a tank(s) those will need to be visually inspected every year for about $15-$20 (should include a fill). Tanks also need a hydro every five years, $25-? Depending on if you take them in or if the dive shop takes them in. Be careful, dive shops can really rip you off just being the middle man.

For the reg's about $10 for the first couple years.
Compact IP Gauge (PSI and BAR)
Check your 1st stage IP, unless it begins to creep or you have put a couple (2-4) hundred dives on it servicing it is unnecessary, usually it just increases the chance of inducing a failure. On the 2nd's rinse them and monitor how they breath. Unless you notice an issue again leave them alone. They are really pretty basic devices that are very well engineered for at least several years between services.
When I do see regulators have problems invariably the first thing I hear is 'I just had it serviced'

Last edited:
Go to the regulator forum, Regulators, the first post is a simple DIY regulator check so you can decide whether the reg needs service. No sense paying someone to tell you your reg needs service, or having it serviced, when it doesn't need it.

You should check all your gear on an ongoing basis. If you don't know how to check, ask other divers, over time you will learn more than enough to avoid gear related issues.

Bob

Most shops charge $30 per regulator labor (1st, 2nd, octo) or $90. Parts kits $15-40 each reg depending upon model. HP gauge spool service $6-15.
So as has already been said, $150-$200.
Quality of work varies hugely!
Caveat emptor. It's your air supply.

Your BCD doesn’t really need anything done if you’ve rinsed it well after diving. They can go years with no problems.

Just to clarify for any new divers, rinsing it well doesn't mean just the outside. After diving in the ocean, there will be a lot of salt water in the bladder and valves. You need to fill the bladder with a good bit of fresh water (hold a hose against the mouthpiece and push the dump button), then drain that out, and then do it again. Some of that fresh water should go out through the inflator (turn the BC upside down with the mouthpiece hanging down and push the inflator button for a while.

I also used to forget about having my wing serviced, but something happened last week in Bonaire that made me rethink that. I had loaned my singles wing to a friend. It's good quality (Halcyon), I had bought it new and I had always rinsed it after use. The inflator immediately started sticking open - we had the shop there service it and the valve really looked cruddy. So maybe occasionally servicing your BC isn't a bad idea. A stuck open inflator is a minor annoyance if you catch it early and can easily disconnect the hose. On the other hand, it can be really dangerous in some cases...

Just to clarify for any new divers, rinsing it well doesn't mean just the outside. After diving in the ocean, there will be a lot of salt water in the bladder and valves. You need to fill the bladder with a good bit of fresh water (hold a hose against the mouthpiece and push the dump button), then drain that out, and then do it again. Some of that fresh water should go out through the inflator (turn the BC upside down with the mouthpiece hanging down and push the inflator button for a while.

I also used to forget about having my wing serviced, but something happened last week in Bonaire that made me rethink that. I had loaned my singles wing to a friend. It's good quality (Halcyon), I had bought it new and I had always rinsed it after use. The inflator immediately started sticking open - we had the shop there service it and the valve really looked cruddy. So maybe occasionally servicing your BC isn't a bad idea. A stuck open inflator is a minor annoyance if you catch it early and can easily disconnect the hose. On the other hand, it can be really dangerous in some cases...

There have actually been issues with the Halcyon inflators. Mine had to be replaced last year. Good thing I was pool diving when I encountered the problem. It was very new and had only been in fresh water.

Agree on the inflator issue... I also bought my DiveRite travel BC new and had meticulously rinsed it after each use.
One day the inflator was very sticky and rough feeling... luckily it didn't cause a problem but when I pulled out the inflator button assembly I was shocked to see the level of corrosion inside, it was only 3 years old!
I have since bought a power rinse attachment, which forces water right through these critical parts of the BC.

Regarding regs, I was quoted $300 for a service on an Atomic Aquatics B2 enviro sealed first and second stage with Z2 octo...!!!
While they are indeed great breathing regs this was a major instigator in learning how to service my own gear... my family has three sets of Atomic gear!

BC inflator rinse.jpg

Last edited:
I think @Centrals nailed it.

That said, the shops in my area charge $25/stage for labor plus parts for regulator service so a regulator set with one first and two seconds is $75+parts. Parts costs vary greatly but I think I usually get out the door for around $150 total. Used to be $75 before scubapro abandoned their free parts for life program.

re: power inflators. I've had two get stuck. both were in the pool. Neither was halycon. Once during a pre-trip equipment check and another time I was showing a lady friend my scuba gear. The first was whatever came with my diverite wing, the second was a "generic" replacement. Since power inflators are super cheap (they should cost $20-$25 for a regular one) I started replacing mine regularly. Last year (or maybe the year before) I switched to an Air2, which costs more but gets serviced annually like a standard second stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom