Cost of gear back in the day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For $466, was the mk10/D350 the top of the line regulator offered by scubapro, or was their something even more expensive offered?

For $466, was the mk10/D350 the top of the line regulator offered by scubapro, or was their something even more expensive offered?
It was their top model.

That’s about the time the MK15 and D400 came out, or just before.

What does "Personal Check" mean? At least they were invited to the dive club meetings. Margins have gone down a little since the internet.
I think it means the shop personnel checked the gear before selling it. That invoice probably was created before spell/grammar check was easy to do.

@lexvil, were the MK15/D400 any better than the MK10/D350? Seems like the MK10 is the most popular regulator ever made.
More of a progression, the 10 is a great reg the 15 seems to have been a bit of a flop (lots of them out there, not a fan personally) but a step toward the MK25. The D400 had a few changes over the 350, mostly to ease service if memory serves.

Today we complain bitterly about items made in China and other parts of Asia, but honestly, many things were so more expensive in the past, not just Scuba equipment. I look at old receipts and I can't believe it.

50 years ago people was complaining about the supposedly low quality of electronic or mechanical products arriving from Japan, which was less expensive than similar tools manufactured in Europe or USA. Now everyone recognises Japanese products for their very high quality and reliability, well in excess of products made in western countries.
20 years ago the same happened with products coming from South Korea. And, again, now no one doubts of the excellent quality of their home appliances, TV sets, computers, smartphones, cars, motorbikes, etc.
Now it is happening with products coming from China, but I am quite sure that, in 20 years, the bad ones will be gone, and the remaining Chinese manufacturers will be regarded as top-notch quality. It is already so in some hi-tech markets, such as drones. DJI rules...
For us customers I see as a good thing that now we can choose among products made here in Europe, in the US, in Mexico, in Vietnam, in India, in S.Korea, in Japan, in China, in Brasil, etc. They all compete in unique global market, with increasing quality and performances and diminishing prices.

50 years ago people was complaining about the supposedly low quality of electronic or mechanical products arriving from Japan, which was less expensive than similar tools manufactured in Europe or USA. Now everyone recognises Japanese products for their very high quality and reliability, well in excess of products made in western countries.
20 years ago the same happened with products coming from South Korea. And, again, now no one doubts of the excellent quality of their home appliances, TV sets, computers, smartphones, cars, motorbikes, etc.
Now it is happening with products coming from China, but I am quite sure that, in 20 years, the bad ones will be gone, and the remaining Chinese manufacturers will be regarded as top-notch quality. It is already so in some hi-tech markets, such as drones. DJI rules...
For us customers I see as a good thing that now we can choose among products made here in Europe, in the US, in Mexico, in Vietnam, in India, in S.Korea, in Japan, in China, in Brasil, etc. They all compete in unique global market, with increasing quality and performances and diminishing prices.

True enough. I am old enough to recall when Made in Japan was synonymous with cheap quality trinkets. There was actually a lot of truth to this perception. But, yes, things have changed, and the perceptions have changed with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom