Cost to service primary and two regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any suggestions on where to learn to service your own regs? Or a reliable source for parts kits? Between the wife and I, we have several brands from Posiedon, Apeks, Scuba Pro, and so on of regs and I have no interest in spending $600 - $1000 in service. The local shops seem to charge $200+ per reg set for service.

All the references others have listed are good. I would add that you can go to EBAY and find an old regulator similar in design to what you have and practice. You can usually find a decent reg cheap enough to play around with and still have a good piece of equipment when you're done. Experience is the best teacher, the rest is just reading manuals.

You-Tube is a good resource for rebuilding your own as is this forum. I would say that offhand, ANY question you may have during a rebuild would be answered here by multiple members. Plus it` fun!

Here it’s $100 per stage so a set (1 first, 2 seconds) is $300. I have about 10 sets of regs.......so I service my own.

Be careful it’s addictive.
upload_2020-6-13_12-59-1.jpeg

View attachment 591739
That's a lot of clutter.... you could solve it by just boxing it all up and sending it this way! lol
Seriously, I'm envious of your test bench/coffee table.
Respectfully,
James

Here in South FL I pay ~$135-155 including labor and parts for one 1st and two 2nd stages for a full rebuild. If you have "free parts for life" it is obviously cheaper. I have my regs serviced every 3 years with 40-45 dives/year. Three sets ... my primary set, a backup set and my pony reg (a bit cheaper since it only has one 2nd stage).

Any suggestions on where to learn to service your own regs? Or a reliable source for parts kits? Between the wife and I, we have several brands from Poseidon, Apeks, Scuba Pro, and so on of regs and I have no interest in spending $600 - $1000 in service. The local shops seem to charge $200+ per reg set for service.

I would also recommend Vance Harlow's Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair, especially for the novice -- well over Regulator Savvy, since the latter doesn't spend any time on making of one's own tools or brand-specific fixes; and doesn't discuss upstream models at all. It's great on theory and the physics of why something is done or functions; but it is also written by one of the owners of Peter Built; and there is plenty of their product-plugging to be had.

I would also recommend Scuba Clinic, for some well-made after-market tools; and the scores of repair manuals to be found online; or through this very thread.

I have found that many scuba shops will allow you to attend manufacturer's seminars, under their name. I would inquire at your local dive center . . .

View attachment 591739

I feel like we need to start a new poll. What is more impressive?
a) The workbench
b) The ability to talk one's SO into letting a person set up that workbench on the living room coffee table.

Talk amongst yourselves.

I feel like we need to start a new poll. What is more impressive?
a) The workbench
b) The ability to talk one's SO into letting a person set up that workbench on the living room coffee table.

It's funny that you should mention that.

When I lived in Pacifica (just South of San Francisco), years ago, the place that I had rented had limited space; so that my kitchen table would often serve as my workbench.

An elderly neighbor came in the place, to borrow some ingredient or another from my kitchen, and began exclaiming in Tagalog, when she saw my test-box, with its sundry valves and gauges; an attached tank; and a partially disassembled regulator, there on the table. She said something in English, to the effect, that "Jesus wouldn't be too happy with me," as she left, with corn starch or whatever it was, at the time.

She later returned with one of her sons, whom she had half-heartedly convinced, that I had been making a bomb.

Eventually, when she realized that I wasn't a terrorist, even though I kept, so she said, "strange hours," she would keep steak bones for my dog, Bella . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom