Couch to 5K

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tanked

Extreme Non-poster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I just started this program designed for people who have no running experence, to beinag able to run a 5K in 9 weeks.
Anyone else ever do this?

Several years ago I decided to try running....I think it was a panic reaction to turning 40. lol. I went on a 10k plan in three months program and it worked really well. The first week was run 0:30/walk 4:30 intervals for 7 intervals, 3X/week. Over time I gradually increased running and decreased walking until I was at a 10minute run/1 minute walk. It was slow but it worked at increasing my mental and physical stamina. I was a couch potato before and I did the 10k in 75 minutes. I cried as I cross the finish line....it was quite an achievement. I've been running off and on since and go back to the same concept if I've been off for a while. Good luck....hang in there...it's so worth it!
Kerry

I went from couch to a half marathon in just over three months. I could barely run a mile when I started. A steady diet of consistent running 3-4/wk was the key. I slowly increased mileage. Usual runs were 3-5 miles, long run was increased about 10%/wk, up to ~11-12 miles. I managed to finish the HM without walking which was my goal.

I've done a few since then, not having gotten much faster, but they do seem a lot more fun now (which isn't saying much; they're still a lot of hard work!). :)

Just keep putting those miles in and you'll see results.

My one piece of advice is do most of your runs at a very easy pace. You aren't helping yourself if you try and go out and sprint everything. Slow and steady to build basic aerobic fitness.

It took me about 3 months to get up to 5K from nothing. I didn't follow a specific schedule, just started by jogging as long as I could, then taking a few minutes to walk before jogging again. Eventually just pushing longer with shorter intervals. The hardest part was pushing from running 15 mintues no stop to getting up to 20 no stop. Just remember to take your time, it is a lot of hard work. And don't be surprised when your cardio fitness improves faster then your muscles, it is normal to feel like your lungs/heart can take it but your legs just don't want to go anymore.

Today i start week 2. I do a 90 second run, and 2 minute walk for 20 minutes.
I'm still waiting for this "runners high" my wife talks about.

Most ruining injuries are a result of too much, too soon, too fast. Run consistently (3 or 4 times a week - rest days are important) cross train (swim, bike, strength) and increase your volume slowly (not more than 10% per week).

I was a die hard couch potato for most of my adult life. In 2009 my 5K goal was 40 minutes which I barely made, a year later I ran a 26:46. Last year I joined a triathlon club, ran my first duathlon, my first 10K and my first half-marathon (I'm entered in the Hypothermic Half in 2 weeks). If I can do it pretty much anyone who doesn't have any underlying medical problems can!

I got my wife to do this last year, and it works well enough. She has never been a runner and we were doing 5k within a few weeks. The thing with the C25k thing is knowing yourself and what your body can handle. If the intervals are too short, move to the next category.
It is a good guide for interval type training. One of the most important things it teaches is keeping track of your workouts and showing progress.

Remember when running, not every day is a good day.

I've run several 10k's and longer trail runs, but I know that some days there's no way I'm even running a mile.

There is a lot of good advice here. I run a lot because it is part of my job (military), and I see a lot of people try to do too much, too quickly. That has already been addressed. The one thing I would like to add is the importance of good running shoes. I use minimalist running shoes, but these are not for beginners! Even experienced runners should transition to minimalist shoes. Regardless, look for a store that sells shoes based on your feet and gait. If the store isn't giving you a foot mold and video analysis of your running style, go somewhere else. You will pay more for the shoes, but for your first pair it is invaluable. More injuries are sustained from poor footwear and form than anything else. Just my 2cents.

Just realized how old this thread was. Can't delete my post, so just edited it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom