Could The World's Worst Airport Be In Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the other hand the sandwichs in the departure longe are phenominal!!! The chipotle club is one of the bst sandwishs i have ever had! The bakery is in the corner of the departures lounge. You wont be disappointed.
order early...the line slowly got longer and some woman had to go pull her husband out of line to get on their outbound flight. my impression was the order had been placed (and paid for?) but not yet delivered.

Hevent had that problem myself. But have waited around 10 minutes from ordering to getting the sandwich. So a good observation, DONT ORDER AT THE LAST MINUTE! Then again, given the lack of announcements, you are unlikely to know when the last minute is!

I went through Roatan about a week ago. I didn't think it was that bad. Having the pre-check paperwork did get several of us moved into a separate line. That saved at least half an hour of standing in line. Those on the flights that arrived shortly after would've saved a lot more time. There are spots with AC and it definitely wasn't unbearable. But I supposed going there at a time of year when you're not used to summer temps would make it uncomfortable.

Anything in your bag that may be questionable (or desirable) but passed through the first check, put it in your pockets.

I just got back. We landed while there were two other large charters that also just came in. The line up for customs was HUGE. Thankfully we are traveling with a toddler so we got pulled to the front of the line. I am not looking forward to the day when she is too big to be treated special and I have to wait in the line with everyone else.

I think the airlines need to help here too. I'm holding out hope that the airport and airlines would consider working together so that 3-4 big charters don't all come in at once.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but this website says that Port Harcourt wins:

10 of the Worst Airports in the World

Of that list, only #5 is really an almost common SCUBA transit gateway.

Caracas Venezuala.

You fly in, but to get anywhere internally, you have to pay to be transported 1/2 mile to the West to the domestic terminalish kinda' building.

Ok, so now it's off to Los Roques, because you were smart enough to not be lured to Margaritte Island to drink and "dive".

After your time on Los Roques, be at the airport at least 3 hours before your flight. The schedules are flown by the most Senior military pilot who shows up and they're kind of anxious to finish their daily route and park in Margaritte.... Where I don't think they went for the diving.

I once was dumped off the boat on the beach sand at the edge of the Los Roques airport and had to run to the plane. There are no good international connex so in Caracas they do recommend a hotel about 20 miles East that is behind two fences.

Lovely diving, kind if a mainland rathole.

Really, St Kitts' airport is worse... at least as I remember it. Also, the private airport on Staniel Key is frightening. Too many planes in the soup at the end of the runway.

If you're flying from US via Canada, you may well land in a domestic terminal -- you may not have to pay to get to the international one, but then again you may not be allowed to step off the plane in the first place. At least in Caracas you're going there; with our neighbours to the North you may need a valid Canuckistani visa to get from Chicago USA to Paris France.

Really, St Kitts' airport is worse... at least as I remember it. Also, the private airport on Staniel Key is frightening. Too many planes in the soup at the end of the runway.

Spoken like a man who hasn't walked away from two plane crashes.

You are alarmed by the St Kitts runway? It's 3,000 feet of hot blacktop. Pish posh, that thing's an Interstate Highway compared to Saba.

For fun:

Back to SCUBA diving...

Oooh, I know, let's save airfare and do the connection thru Tegucigalpa to get to Roatan....

You are alarmed by the St Kitts runway?
Alarmed? When I landed there, the 'fire truck' was human powered. I didn't think it was unsafe: just backwards. I was pretty unimpressed with it and was glad I was going home from St Maarten. Saba... now that's a short, short airport, but I don't think there are plane bones in the water there. I never flew in or out of it (I was on Explorer Ventures Liveaboard), so I couldn't really comment on it. FWIW, I believe Saba is my favorite island of all times. Beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom