Could you do it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
...What if you are in the water with someone in distress, who has a serious potential for injury or death? What if the action you need to take to help puts you at risk, whether it's a panicked diver dragging you to the surface, or the possibility (not certainty) of running out of air if you go back to rescue someone who is unresponsive or severely impaired at depth?

Could you abandon someone in trouble, and how would you cope with it if that person were permanently injured or killed as a result?
Based on multiple experiences, I know that in shocking emergencies I jump in immediately to rescue.

And then my brain catches up about 30 to 60 seconds later.
One of my first rational thoughts is, "Am I safe?" So far, the answer's been "yes" and I've continued.

I haven't had to make that choice between saving someone else or saving myself.

If I see an underwater calamity, I'm going to leap forward to rescue..... and that moment of self-assessment is going to come.
Then... What if I realize that I am in BIG danger?

Will my self-protective reflex be as strong as my initial reflex to save the victim?

I think so. I think I would ferociously protect myself from certain harm, just as I know I would leap in when someone else is threatened.

If that's the way it played out, I would save myself in a howling agony of frustration and screaming fury.

But I would save myself.

I could not walk into a hopelessly burning building. I could not let myself drown once I became aware it was about to happen. I'd save myself and it would hurt horribly for a long, long time and I would heal.
I would never be the same person again.

If, however, I were not aware of the true risk of continuing the rescue attempt, I wouldn't stop for even a moment and there would be two fatalities.

Accurate situational awareness would make all the difference.

Claudette

If it were my wife or one of my girls, I'd do it or die trying. Anyone else, I'd go to the edge of my comfort zone. If that wasn't far enough, I'd wave goodbye. Like Mo2vation said, I'd send flowers if I knew them, and let the rest of it go.

lamont:
I can't think of any reasonable situation that I'd be in where I wouldn't try to rescue my dive buddy. I also can't think of any reasonable situation where that attempt would likely kill me...

I agree. Over the years I've been involved in a bunch of assists and a couple that would probably qualify as rescues. They ranged from paniced and bolting students where I got my mask and reg punched off my face to having to modify my decompression schedule to stay near divers (not members of our party) who looked like they might be in trouble. Never did I perceive the risk to myself to be all that great.

it depends on the person, i would not leave people that i love, i would go as far as i could and then decide on weather either of us would make it. because im not going to risk my life if they die. thats pointless. but for an instant buddy i would do as much as i could. i would not risk my life though.

Also partly due to my profession, I would put myself at a higher risk than most other people. As an instructor, that also comes with the territory. I have made quick ascents to stop other divers from popping to the surface. I didn't really perceive those experiences as much risk, though.

I'm guessing that the question is asking more about things like bringing unconscious divers to the surface and blowing a stop or ascending too fast. I have to say, it would depend on the situation and the person. I'm around death all the time at work. It doesn't bother me there, but most of the time the people that die are better off anyway. I don't think I would feel the same way in regards to a young, healthy diver. But I also don't see myself giving my life for a situation that I know is futile anyway.

The only situation I would do that is just as in Tom's example:

Tom Smedley:
my favorite buddy - if she were in peril and I could not save her - I would wrap my arms around her and we would journey across to the other side as one.

God what an adventure that must be!!!

I couldn't have said it better.

I think that a big difference for me would be ... is it a loved one? or a person you don't know? ... I think my actions might be different in each case.
The bond you share with a loved one is strong and you do not know to just what extremes you will go to save them beforehand. If it was someone I did not know, fear for my safety might cause me to save myself.

Rescue training says to not make two victims, although it might be hard for me to remember that in the midst of things.
It also says that to help, and then fail, is OK ... It is better than doing nothing at all.

Still, no matter the outcome, loved one, or not, it would leave me second guessing myself for the rest of my life, I'm sure.

Claudette .. thank you for those true and eloquent words, your a good dive buddy

A lot of people are saying it would matter if they loved the person who was in peril, thats to be expected. But what if it was someone you knew and couldn't stand. Someone you just really didn't like, or might even in some small way hate them. Would you try less to save them? Or would you maybe try harder to prove that you are a better person than you consider them to be?

I would say that if I am choosing who to dive with, I feel more OK going with a person who says they will not kill themselves trying to rescue me than a person who says they will do everything and beyond to rescue me even if it puts them in great risk. Then I know I am diving with somewhat realistic person whose reasoning I can generally follow, and not with someone who I might consider being a bit over the top (“might” being an important world too, I am not judging people by one thing of course).

I agree with what seems a to be obvious to many - I don’t exactly know what I would do in an emergency until it happens, but I could go to excessive measures depending what the situation is. And naturally, I would risk death for loved ones – or let’s say, I would expect I’d do – to stay real.

As others have said if it was my wife or a friend I would take any risk. After that experience comes into play. I am comfortable believing that I can look at a situation and judge the risk to myself and the honest potential in saving the person. My first dive instructor (long before octos, and pony tanks) said something that still rings true "one person with poor judgment can dir or two".

If I were to look at the situation and decided that I could perform the rescue within a tolerance of danger then I'm good to go. As has been said it would depend on the situation and the person in danger. Would I try is the bigger question

My dive buddy is a great friend and I would go to great lengths to save him. Someone else I may be a bit more hesitant depending on the situation, what is the problem, how did the problem arise, was I the problem etc

Tough question as there are too many variables

Back
Top Bottom