Could you do it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I added more after you may have been posting to my first response.

Diver Dennis:
So you are saying that it will kill them if the reg is pulled out of their mouth?
You may have created a potential more dangerous situation by doing so.

It nice that people are giving the stock "rescue class" response, but if my buddy is in deep do do...I'm going to follow him to make sure he is ok.

Dennis, there is a reason you are a solo diver and I'm not. :wink:

On more extreme dives, my team mates are my friends and I would be willing to take hit to save them and in a standard rec dive, the chances of getting hurt are pretty small. So I would not abandon them to their fate.

Diver Dennis:
It depends where they are in the water column when you do it.
What...pull the reg out?

Why do it in the first place? The chances of getting hurt are slim.

Am I prepared to do it? Yes. I am also prepared to shoot to defend my life or my family. Will I be able to do it when I have to do it? I won't know until I am faced with that very difficult decision.

I have to be honest. My gut reaction is that I would pull the reg out before we surfaced but I would not leave them. I mean close to the surface. I see your point about the risk being small but the people I dive with if I'm not alone are all insta-buddies and that is the way I feel. I can see feeling different about someone I dove with all the time and although it might make me look like a cold hearted bas***d, that is the truth.

Maybe I should always solo.

EDIT: I should add that I'm not taking 40', I would have no problem doing it from a relatively shallow depth but 100' or more? I don't think I would be at the surface with them, I would bail at 15' or 20'.

Diver Dennis:
It depends where they are in the water column when you do it.

no, it really doesn't. the fatality that we had here earlier in the year started as a LOA at 100 fsw, it progressed to an OOA at 10 fsw -- something went wrong with the OOA and the diver either held her breath while ascending from 10 fsw or inhaled water and laryngospasm'd and from 10 fsw she blew her lungs, embolised and died.

when you snatch the reg from a diver who is otherwise OOA and is rapidly ascending, anywhere in the water column, you are asking for this kind of outcome. as long as you are on a recreational dive, and you can hold your airway open as you ascend you are not putting yourself at significant risk of DCS (recreational diving does not have a significant DCS risk) or of embolism (everyone does a rapid ascent in their OW course practicing CESA and submariners practice it for escaping from subs, as long as your airway is open you are okay).

lamont, i've always believed that the real risk to the OOA victim is to come up holding their breath.

if two divers come up fast breathing, the changes of a DCS are slim to none, and then easily treatable anyway. it's not deco diving.

that is why the only time i've been in this situation, i went up with my buddy. i thought that would be the less risky thing.

I understand your point Lamont and I have done a few fairly deep CESAs but a paniced diver might be holding their breath even with a reg in their mouth. I have been involved in an OOA before with a diver who calmed down as soon as they got air my air. I have not had to deal with a run away. This thread may change my mind about how to handle it.

I'm a little in shock that so many feel they would rip their octo out of a OOA divers mouth if they were being pulled to the surface!

Ask any Cayman DM/Instr who has been on the job for a little while, we all have had divers on our octo dragging us up, we've all slowed them down as much as possible but all ended up on the surface with a scared diver after the elevator ride. I can think of only a couple of times I've heard of this actually ending up in the chamber for the donor and that was when this happened on the forth dive of the day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom