Counter Balance Cylinder?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Howie411

Contributor
Reaction score
Had my AquaLung Legend in for its annual service and I just picked it up and there was a $5 charge listed as "counter balance cylinder". The guy at the shop couldn't tell me what it was for and no one was there to ask.

I've been having my regulator serviced there for 10+ years and never seen that charge, also its under warranty so all parts should be free. (also I literally use my regulator once a year).

Any idea what this charge is?

For that cost, and with that name, I'd guess a new balance chamber for the 2nd stage poppet.
Here's an Apeks one:
Screenshot_20200912-152725_Google.jpg

Not part of a free service kit, so that's why they charged you for it. But I'd argue that they get a replacement from Aqualung if you're parts for life, so you might try for a credit.

Maybe it rolled under the workbench in the dust. :D

For that cost, and with that name, I'd guess a new balance chamber for the 2nd stage poppet. Not part of a free service kit, so that's why they charged you for it. But I'd argue that they get a replacement from Aqualung if you're parts for life, so you might try for a credit.

Maybe it rolled under the workbench in the dust. :D

So its not part of the service kit but Aqualung gives them to them for free? I show 3 Free Kits on the bill. 1st stg service kit, and two 2nd stg service kits

Well, they'd have to argue with AL about it, but it all depends on why it was replaced. If it's a limited lifetime warranty and the part failed, AL should replace it to the shop's stock.

Well, they'd have to argue with AL about it, but it all depends on why it was replaced. If it's a limited lifetime warranty and the part failed, AL should replace it to the shop's stock.

Thanks, I'll give them a call on Monday and try to get more details. Seems odd after 10+ years all the sudden now they would need to replace it. I probably have a good 10 total dives on this regulator......

Thanks, I'll give them a call on Monday and try to get more details. Seems odd after 10+ years all the sudden now they would need to replace it. I probably have a good 10 total dives on this regulator......

In Aqualung's Free Parts for Life Program, free parts consist of the normal replacement items as found in the Regulator 1st & 2nd Stage Service Kits. The counter-balance chamber is not in the 2nd stage service kit.

I am not sure what the specific problem with your part was, but it should smoothly travel up and down the stem of the shuttle valve without sticking and spring back in place. The service kit would replace the o-ring on the shuttle valve stem but fine grit or other material could cause the inside of the chamber to cause less than ideal travel up and down the shuttle valve stem. If after cleaning the travel remained "sticky" or "gritty", I would also replace the balance chamber and see if that resolved the issue.

If there is any leak when when the balance chamber is depressed and the shuttle valve is sealed at the end, that would also require a part replacement. Sometimes the plastic part ages and cracks. After 10+ years that would be considered normal wear and tear.

This is not a common replacement part, but if the technician felt it ensured the 2nd stage would continue to operate within specifications, I think it was $5 well spent. A call to the shop and asking why the part was replaced is very appropriate. If I could not speak to the technician, I would expect there to be a note or something explaining to me why the part was replaced.

Ask for the carcass! It should be returned to the rightful owner together with the bill.

So the response I got back was -

The counter balance chamber is a part in the 2nd stage which although it’s a durable plastic composite, does wear out over time and use. It looks like it had several age cracks in it and broke during cleaning. Only the annual service kits are covered by the AquaLung parts program. As it was age/wear related and not a defect in workmanship, it was also not covered under their limited lifetime warranty, thus the charge on your bill.

I mean guess for $5 that is fine, but I'm just surprised its not something covered under warranty or or it broke. I literally have under 20 dives in 10 years on this regulator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom