Couple 'o SoCal's invade MoCal for Weekend Fun!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Claudette will roll in with a report. She has much better words than I do.

I'll just say this: Excellent diving, connected with some old friends, met some new ones, great hang, steller grub, beautiful area. You people rolled it out for 'dette and I, and we will never forget this trip. Kind, giving, sweet, funny, genuine... the Monterey crew are all of these.

After about 15,000 images with my Nikon D70 rig, these were the first dives with my new Nikon D200 rig. The shutter release was out of alignment, and Nikon / Ike moved the focus button I've been using. When I got home, I took some bolt cutters, a file, a pair of huge wire cutters and some other heavy machinery to the housing to make the mods I needed - its working great now (can I come back in the fall, please, to shoot some more??!!)

Combine the combative, unfamiliar rig with the poor viz and the photo opportunities were very few. I will say that scootering with a big cam rig was quite a bit different than expected. Tougher than expected as my rig is configured for kick diving, so I usually hold it. So trying to hold steady the huge rig with my light in my left hand while water is blasting past me made for some interesting light signals (sorry Kev and JD... :11doh: ) I need to build a way to sling it back when I'm motoring to streamline things and free up my left hand. Easier than expected as the X is very well behaved when you're not diving it - so clipping off the scoot and kicking around the sites and shooting is a breeze. This feature makes this scooter very attractive to me.

Anyway - Here are some shots and descriptions. All taken on my third trip to the barge that weekend (Sunday AM) with Kev, Jonathan and HBLeftHerHeartInMontereyGurl. Probably the worst viz of the trip, but surely one of the most fun dives. Great nav, gents!

Enjoy.

---
Ken

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GeekSpeak

All shots taken with Nikon D200, Ikelite D200 housing with Nikon 60mm lens and two Ikelite DS-125 strobes. Settings to full Manual, range from 1/80th to 1/40th of a second, f18 to f22. These Nudis were so huge that they essentially filled the frame of a 60mm lens. Something no SoCal Nudi can do!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A GIANT Sea Lemon on the far East corner of the barge. These are very common in SoCal, and are usually the largest Nudis we see. This one was enormous – probably 6” or 7” long end to end.
78517328.QCCrl8fJ.jpg

Dendrodoris Fulva (I think...) – Shot on the barge. Another big Nudi in the 5”range. These look just like the little 1” Doriopsilla Albonpunctata’s (`tata’s) we have all over down here. :)
78517319.oPZL5tA3.jpg

Doriana Albolineata (White-lined Doria) – Kevin found this from his speeding scooter as we were navigating the deep Metridium Fields. He stopped the parade and I was able to snap a few shots.
78517324.NrGLxev0.jpg

Post-coital Trophia Catalinea (Clown Nudi.) These two were have Nudi Nookie on the platform. I took 4 shots of these guys in various stages of the deed. In this shot, Nudi number two is rolling over and looking for his lighter and cigarettes. Shot on the North side of the Barge. There were actually about 5 or 6 of these giant Clown Nudis on the Barge each time 'chica and I went out there. These two were about 5 inches long. In SoCal, a large one is maybe an inch long. You guys grow 'em big up here.
78517315.q40ZPkaQ.jpg

Blue-Ring Top Snail – we see these very rarely in SoCal, and surely not this big. The Barge was covered with them! We saw a ton of these, but this was the only one I found fully out of his shell. I composed this with a Bat Star behind it to offer a brighter background than the brown, rotting wood of the Barge. A nice full size image can be found here
78517331.fso1GjPN.jpg

If you get the Red X Of Death instead of the image, simply right click and select "Show Picture." If that doesn't work, hit F5 to reload the page, and try again. PBase and SB don't always play nice nice together...

Wow! Nice picture. :wink: I love the blue snail especially its the red X when the word says blue. :D

We need to plan a fall SoCal/MoCal/Seattle dive-o-rama . . . I want to get back down there with the blue rockfish and those enormous, bizarre crabs.

But maybe we can't all be there at once. I'm not sure they have enough spare scooters :)

LOL!! The scooter virus has found a foothold after all.

Not in me, but I think Peter's got a case of it. Although thinking about being able to get further out into the structure by the Three Sisters IS tempting . . .

TSandM:
We need to plan a fall SoCal/MoCal/Seattle dive-o-rama . . . I want to get back down there with the blue rockfish and those enormous, bizarre crabs.

But maybe we can't all be there at once. I'm not sure they have enough spare scooters :)

When I return in Fall there will be no need to avail myself of the Loan-a-Scoot program. I'm confident of that.... :no

---
Ken

OK, Ken... you got me stumped. MoCal... is that Mo2vation's California? Just teasing ya!

By the way, I'm only seeing the first picture.

drbill:
OK, Ken... you got me stumped. MoCal... is that Mo2vation's California? Just teasing ya!

By the way, I'm only seeing the first picture.

Pbase works on every other place I use it without flaw. Only SB do I have issues.

Here's the address of the Monterey Gallery: http://www.pbase.com/firelogg/monterey_5_2007

Geography Lession lite:

SoCal = God's country. Runs from the 605 on the south through Santa Barbara on the North. See also Paradise. Hub of culture, cool and In-n-out (if you needed another reason...)

OCal
= Limp bankrupt county that unfortunately borders SoCal on the South. Home of very overrated shore diving, and all things 714. OCal's northern border is the 605 and the south kinda slimes into Dana Pointish / Oceanside.

LowCal = San Diego area. My second fav place on the planet. When they build a huge St Louis arch to catapult my princess feet over OCal directly to LowCal from LA I'll die happy. Oceanside-ish on the north to the Mexican Border on the south.

NoCal = formerly all places north of Santa Barbara. Home of our water, the loser Giants, limp A's and the surprising Warriors. In SoCal, at birth, its our sworn duty to hate all thing NoCal. Its in our blood.

MoCal = Monterey. Quickly becoming an oasis in the vast NoCal desert. Dived there 5 trips now, and loving everything about the place.

SLOCal = Currently petitioning for "Cal-hood." San Loser Abysmal is coming hard. If it wasn't for my wine pals in Paso, and Hoppes in Cayucos (the finest dining between LA and SF) and Dorn's in Morro Bay (breakfasts that rule) I wouldn't even put SLOCal on the map.

There is it. The updated grography lesson. Here's the original, if you're interested.

Ken

Mo2vation:
OCal [/B]= Limp bankrupt county that unfortunately borders SoCal on the South. Home of very overrated shore diving, and all things 714. OCal's northern border is the 605 and the south kinda slimes into Dana Pointish / Oceanside.

Hey Mr. Photoshop Boy!

OCal will be north of the 605 tonight, invading Vets park, why don't you show up and give us a geography lesson?

Chris

FishTaco:
Hey Mr. Photoshop Boy!

OCal will be north of the 605 tonight, invading Vets park, why don't you show up and give us a geography lesson?

Chris

Wish I could. I was there last night. Some of the worst viz ever, 50 degrees at 108 FSW. So much to see - the place is crazy with Nudis, right now. Including one I've never seen or shot before!

You guys will have a great time.

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom