Couple of Issues with 12-50 lens in macro and normal mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Off the topic. Olympus just released the 25mm lens for a very reasonable price. I wonder how this lens would do for underwater?

Hi Ardy and Karl. You should have retired to North Queensland like I did:) I spent about half my life in the Northern Territory where 5 metres viz was a great day, but didn't encourage photography. That's a recent pursuit.

Would love to but there are too many Queenslanders there :wink::wink::wink::D:wink::wink::wink:

I would love to semi retire to Bali - lot cheaper to live - but at the moment I just love diving of any kind and we shore dive every weekend in the great hope that one day the vis will be > 4m which happens at least twice a year :cool2:

One thing though, diving in poor vis teaches you how to get a good image in any condition so when we do travel if the vis drops it isn't an issue with us.

Karl

---------- Post added November 2nd, 2014 at 09:30 AM ----------

Karl - I do have access to the 43mm macro in my Meikon house, as I've hacked the lens, as described in my post about that. I can thus enable macro by placing a magnet at a certain place outside the housing. This makes it a very cheap solution.

Do you have a link to it as I know a few may be interested over here???

Karl

Would love to but there are too many Queenslanders there :wink::wink::wink::D:wink::wink::wink:

I would love to semi retire to Bali - lot cheaper to live - but at the moment I just love diving of any kind and we shore dive every weekend in the great hope that one day the vis will be > 4m which happens at least twice a year :cool2:

One thing though, diving in poor vis teaches you how to get a good image in any condition so when we do travel if the vis drops it isn't an issue with us.

Karl

---------- Post added November 2nd, 2014 at 09:30 AM ----------

Do you have a link to it as I know a few may be interested over here???

Karl

Ha ha , I know whwt you mean about Queenslanders, but they grow on you after a while...like a wart :)

Just lucky - all but one of the kids have left home so I have a few dollars extra each week :D plus I have a secret bank account where I stash a few dollars away that SWMBO doesn't know about :wink::wink:

I am the same with the wide angle - don't do that much here as the shore diving isn't the best for it due to low vis (about 4m on a good day) and I only manage to get to Bali once a year so a dedicated wide angle lens and port isn't on my list of wants and needs. I have a GoPro mount on top of my tray which I can use if anything big swims by when I am shooting macro.

I love the 60mm but I don't always get good opportunities to use it due to the poor vis so I end up with the 12 - 50mm in macro mode most of the time so I can get closer to the subject.

I don't think there will ever be the perfect set up as everything is always going to be a compromise.

These were taken with the 12 - 50mm in macro - View attachment 196545 View attachment 196546

These were taken with the 60mm - View attachment 196547 View attachment 196548 (this is a dwarf cuttlefish about the size of my fist)

In both cases the vis was about 4m and very milky with lots of silt floating around - the cuttlefish was a harder shot because I had to be so much further back just to fit him in the frame even though he is small.

I dream of diving in conditions where the vis is 10m+ :D

Karl

My partner is hopeless with money and she relies on me to be sensible (not too smart an option). Bali in a few weeks early Dec, and then another trip maybe to Philippines in April and that will be it for the next 12 months. I went up to Coffs Harbour for a dive last year. The seas were rough, the diving a bit murky and the water temp 20c, did not make me want to rush back at my time of life.

Great shots considering what you have to deal with.

Ardy

---------- Post added November 1st, 2014 at 10:06 PM ----------

Karl - I do have access to the 43mm macro in my Meikon house, as I've hacked the lens, as described in my post about that. I can thus enable macro by placing a magnet at a certain place outside the housing. This makes it a very cheap solution.

EskilJ: I read your article about hacking the 12-50 and it made me mad! How come you have those skills, whereas I would end up with a pile of wires, glass and rubber, then go looking to buy a new lens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom