Couple of questions for those familiar with AKR.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

salth2owannabe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
We are headed to AKR in December and I'm thinking about renting a scooter or motorcycle for a few days while at the resort. Is there any safe place to park/store a motorcycle at the resort for a few days? It appears West End is within easy walking distance from AKR (Less then 2 miles) is this the case?
Thanks for the help.

Yes you can keep it at AKR, but it is a long walk in the heat, but why walk if you have a ride? Cabs are about two dollars and a lot safer. I have seen some bad things on the road!

There have been several post about driving in Roatan in the last few weeks. You might want to read some of those....'
Be care and it would be quite a walk from what I could tell....

It's more like 2.5 miles (Google Earth...) to the area around Sundowners Bar which is kind of the east end of the West End. The heart of the West End is another 1/2 mi. or so farther west.

The road is twisty with some significant elevation changes and not much shoulder in some areas. Not something I'd want to walk. As posted above, cabs are cheap. One took me to AKR and back for $8 + tip. About a 10min. ride.

Last edited:
As far as parking goes, I'd ask the resort directly. The resort is fenced in with barbed wire at the top of the fence. There is a fairly large lot as you come in. Where you stay is either across the water on the key or on top of the hill either of which is a distance from the parking lot.

Is it safe, yeah probably, certainly during the day. Its is secure? That I'm not sure of.

It would be a hike to the west end. We took a cab when I was staying there and I think it was $5.

Just returned this morning from Roatan (6 August). Stayed with a friend next to AKR. Cabs are a better bet to West end - 25 limps per person each way - about $1.25. Don't pay more. Cabs always available. But a scooter is convenient and gives you felxibility and autonomy. Roads are dangerous however. Drivers can be all over the place. Be very very careful.

I'll second BonairDan. We've been cabbing it from Sandy Bay to West End all week and pay 25 limps/person. The cabbies will quote you more if you ask how much, but 25 limps is the going rate.

Back
Top Bottom