Couple of questions regarding the CAYMAN V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you google fosters iga cayman you will find a product list. Also Progressive supplies grocers and many restaurants and hotels (places like RC fly in specialty products). You can make purchases at great prices and huge variety. Just curious— when we did a liveaboard in The Galapagos far away from everything, all our needs were met. Don’t they supply everything for you since everything you mention is readily available right here? We get many more choices here than I did in the States even at markets like Fairway. The European dairy products here are fair superior to what is available in the States. Same for sugars, flours, honeys, spices and on and on. This is not a destination I would bring any foodstuffs to. For me prices are actually cheaper than what I would pay in NY for on par products. If you need Pringle’s prepare to pay up!

Awesome thanks! I was hoping someone from cayman would chime in.. the boat supplies basic stuff, some of them will go above and beyond for luxuries ( Chris on the Belize aggressor sent a dude out to trawl the streets to pick up 9 litres of fresh coconut water for a lady last year), but we prefer not to put the crew out if we can just bring it ourselves. They are busy enough without having to cater to our ‘1000 Red only m&ms’ silly list.

Aggressor liveaboards in the Carib usually have Seagrams sodas. They are ok, but not great. I find the tonic tastes synthetic. Want to know if the CV has Seagrams.

Just so I’m sure, are you 100% confirming that you have seen whipping (heavy cream) in the supermarket? That’s the only ‘foodstuff’ we bring along with the very specific coffee we drink...fosters IGA doesn’t show any whipping cream on the site, hence the original post.

I’ve never seen limes on a liveaboard to the volume we get through them..and we don’t want to be the ‘oh, that group used all the limes we had by the 2nd day, so sorry, you don’t get any’

Always want to know what beer the boat has. Lots of local beers are great, lots are utter swampwater...

Where is the best place to pick up good gin on the island? Is there a specific liquor store you would suggest? I’ve been told that good gin is more expensive than the US, glad to hear It’s not.

I’m not sure if the cayman aggressor supplies what we usually bring, hence the question. I didn’t go to Galapagos on an aggressor and on our boat everything was ‘fine’ , as it usually always is, but we have some preferences. I.e. don’t like sodas in bigplastic bottles that go flat 5 mins after someone opens them, don’t like weak filter coffee where you need 3x cups to wake up, don’t like flammable powder coffee mate or having to put weak milk in your coffee making the coffee even weaker and giving you stomach ache. Don’t like ‘off brand tonic water’

Like I said... ‘princesses’

Hold on, I have Cathyv saying alcohol and food Is expensive and caydiver saying prices are cheaper...

Just as a note..we aren't Planning on taking a 10 kilo bag of jasmine rice, a box of poptarts and a selection of scented candles on the boat, so I’m not really fussed about the price comparison either way on anything other than booze...

.....and to add...I don’t care if ‘vodka is 10% cheaper’ and then it turns out to be some ‘Blobidoff’ brand that regularly sends Indian villagers blind..

Suffice it to say, the original post wasn’t about price, just specifics around what is usually on the boat and the addition question surrounding the availability of heavy cream/whipping cream on the island..so if anyone can help with that i’ll be very thankful :)

You might check out Cost U Less if you have time. Personally I am not a fan of Priced Right near the airport so can’t tell you what they have on offer. Both Kirks and Fosters (Hurley’s is further away) have a huge variety. More European products especially dairy at Fosters at The Strand Very near Cost u Less. They also have more high end mixers like Feverfew if you are interested. The cream variety includes everything from heavy, whipping, double, Devon, clotted, etc. We are spoiled :). I no longer buy American dairy. If you are a cheese or yogurt fan you are in for a life changing experience...did I mention the chocolate? Just editing about pricing. When I lived in NY I bought European butter etc so I paid up for imported products. Here everything is imported so no doubt American products cost more. But being used to buying imported products in the US I don’t find those products costing an appreciable difference here. But we don’t shop for bargains on food we are more than willing to pay up for better quality. American foodstuffs will Cost more here than they do in the States.

Super, thanks ref the cream. That saves a big headache.

Ref the chocolate. Good to know. I’m a tubby.

And yes to fevertree. That’s top drawer for G&T

I’ll make a beeline for fosters..

You will eat any color Smartie over a red M&Ms. Lots and lots of rice choices. There are so many different nationalities here and it is a first world country that caters to all of them. I just stocked up on Meyer lemons one of which is like a bag of others when it comes to intensity. Why pay for six when one is superior? It makes price per unit unimportant. Sometimes something so perfect just makes everything else pale.

More of a lion bar or double decker guy myself..the kids like buttons though.

( edited for shock content)

Back
Top Bottom