Couple of Riffe Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Splitlip

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just picked up a Riffe 39" for a friend.

How well do they work free shaft. I know there is that after market cable that substitutes for a muzzle. Is it just intended to keep you from loosing the shaft?

I was also told by a hunter who uses a Hornet that Riffes shoot high. I don't know if that actually mean Hornets shoot low..

I have no experience with either gun. Anything special I need to know?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Riffe makes some excellent guns, as proved by the big fish spear by them.

Post a picture of the gun that you are talking about so others can help you with it.

Hello.
I have a buddy who shoots with a reef gun and he clam's the same thing. It shoots high. Im not sure what size it is. Im going out with another friend of mine this weekend who shoots a reef. Ill ask him his exp, and take note of his gun. I don't shoot reef guns, I have jbl and abiller and sporosub as well as a sea hornet. the original hornet. I don't care for the sporasub. I have lost fish with the stock barb. reefs are nice guns and a shooter can easley adapt to the guns trajectory. thats my 2 cents for a newbe to scubaboard.

Thanks.
I'll post a Pic from home.

Splitlip:
I just picked up a Riffe 39" for a friend.
How well do they work free shaft. I know there is that after market cable that substitutes for a muzzle. Is it just intended to keep you from loosing the shaft?
I was also told by a hunter who uses a Hornet that Riffes shoot high. I don't know if that actually mean Hornets shoot low..
I have no experience with either gun. Anything special I need to know?
Thanks in advance for your help.

If you are free shafting call and ask Julie Riffe, there is a "track" that can be added to the top of the gun to control the spearshaft.

Experience with the gun is the only way to shoot accurately. If you own any two brands of guns, one will shoot high, or low. . . the hand grip of one brand will not feel the same as another brand. Shoot often and if in your hands the gun is shooting high, correct your mental point of aim. What I mean is if you look at a fish and shooting high. . . mentally "look" at the bottom of the fish when you are ready to shoot. Your mind will correct your aim. Practice, practice, practice. when your hand eye connect with your target, any other grip will feel strange to you, and shoot high or low. With Riffe's power, don't try to look down the shaft to aim. . . The Riffe kicks. :11:

I freeshaft with a Riffe Mid Hawaiian. Been shooting it for 2 years now.
Gun is accurate - not high, not low
I use the "loop". It is a safety feature. Has no bearing on accuracy. All it does is prevent the possibility of the shaft coming back at you while loading if shaft were not to be engaged in trigger mech.

The kid ha never used anything but a pole spear, so correct he won't have high or low as a reference.

I will give a call to Julie R. Gun is in the link below.
Thanks all.

Compeitor #1 Part #RC0005
http://www.speargun.com/comp.htm

Splitlip:
I will give a call to Julie R. Gun is in the link below.
Thanks all.

Compeitor #1 Part #RC0005
http://www.speargun.com/comp.htm

That model Riffe gun is going to be tough to freeshaft from. Especially around Jupiter if he is also bug hunting and laying his gun down to grab a bug. The small string on the muzzle is designed to hold the shaft in place and is incorporated into the line system. With that smaller size gun it will be easy for him to swing it quickly and track a grouper or jack and the shaft could come loose if it's not properly secured at the muzzle.

I'm going to meet with Jay Riffe in 2 weeks and I'll get you a status update on his magnet solution. When I talked to him a couple of months ago, he was designing a magnet to be imbedded near the tip to hold the shaft for free shafting purposes. He thought that he might be able to do retrofits but was not sure at the time.

As to the comment of shooting high, it's not true. The shooter's technique is wrong and he needs to use 2 hands on the gun and his trigger hand needs to be straight and not bent at the elbow. It is one of the top 5 mistakes that new shooters make.

The tabs on the Riffe shaft may cause the arrow to hit an inch higher than the Biller. The tabs create a raised nocking point and a slight hydrofoil effect. Shooter error has little to do with the reports of high shooting. That is Riffe propaganda. A Biller may hit an inch or so low depending on the setup. The Biller stock muzzle is not quite wide enough to allow the shaft stop to pass through cleanly. If the stop impacts the muzzle edge, the arrow will buck a little causing a wobble to the arrow as it leaves the gun.

Johnoly:
That model Riffe gun is going to be tough to freeshaft from. Especially around Jupiter if he is also bug hunting and laying his gun down to grab a bug. The small string on the muzzle is designed to hold the shaft in place and is incorporated into the line system. With that smaller size gun it will be easy for him to swing it quickly and track a grouper or jack and the shaft could come loose if it's not properly secured at the muzzle.

I'm going to meet with Jay Riffe in 2 weeks and I'll get you a status update on his magnet solution. When I talked to him a couple of months ago, he was designing a magnet to be imbedded near the tip to hold the shaft for free shafting purposes. He thought that he might be able to do retrofits but was not sure at the time.

As to the comment of shooting high, it's not true. The shooter's technique is wrong and he needs to use 2 hands on the gun and his trigger hand needs to be straight and not bent at the elbow. It is one of the top 5 mistakes that new shooters make.

Thanks John:
The "hoop" was what I was considering as opposed to the enclosed track. The magnet solution sounds interesting.
http://www.speargun.com/accessory_04.htm#kits

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom