Couple of Riffe Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Riffe started as a blue water gun and that is what the standard wood models do best (still). You should accept it for what it is. Trying to make it over into a "free shafter" will not produce the best results. Imagining the Riffe to be a bottom gun is naive. Instead, buy a relatively cheap gun with a muzzle to control the shaft. The big Riffes are for big fish and do it well. Use the little Riffe to free dive on snapper or small jacks.

I tend to differ. ALL of the high quality guns use teak, some with other materials mixed to attain other goals. Metal guns are produced to meet price point. Inferior in many ways.
We (girlfriend & I) dive (scuba) almost daily, freeshafting with (Mid & No Ka Oi)Riffe mid handle guns. They are accurate and manueverable on wrecks & reef. We seldom miss a fish. The usual bad shot is when do not stone them and spoil some meat.
Open muzzle, closed muzzle - subjective. Makers of all your custom guns don't even agree. Some of the best commercial spearfishermen in the US hunt/hunted with open muzzle guns.
The Riffe's are very quiet & reliable.
I will not disagree that there are a few other Very good guns out there. I will say hunting ability, shot selection and patience will make any gun "more accurate".

Any gun shooting a 42" shaft with a threaded on head is not going to freeshaft very well. The Riffe #1 is a bit short, especially for clear water.

Ideal freeshafts are typically 57" to 65" long and use Hawaiian or Tahitian floppers, not screw on heads.

I know many good shooters that use Riffes, # 3 or above for freeshafting.

Other good freeshafting guns would be Biller or SS 48" to 54" freeshaft models, or Daryl Wong Florida Freeshafters 50" to 55".

All of these guns have freeshafts 57" and above.

Chad

Thanks to all who replied.
Well the kid took his first fish with the Riffe Friday (line shaft). He took 2 shots on a couple of grouper.
First shot was from above. Miss.
2nd fish was 8 or 10 feet off the tip in front of him. Got the fish in the head.

Congrats on your first fish Splitlip!

It was wise to keep the line on that gun. Sounds like you did well hitting from that range.

What was your kill? Got a pic?

Chad

Hi Chad.
Actually the fish was taken by my 16 year old neighbor. He is a good friend of the family and is doing his open water with my daughter. He has been hunting with pole spear and he and has dad were shopping for a band gun. When Jupiter Dive Center offered me a good deal on th Riffe I passed it on to the guy. I was happy to hear that his first day out he scored with a 24" Gag. An identified shark (big) encouraged the boys to exit after the shot.
(Sorry, I only saw it plated.)
As for the range, I too was happy that the kid was able to do it. I was not there, but the shot was from "the garage door to the red thing hanging on the opener" as he described it. I sure considerable luck was involved but he is out back at this morning.

Splitlip:
Actually the fish was taken by my 16 year old neighbor.............
........ I was happy to hear that his first day out he scored with a 24" Gag.

Please offer up my congrats to the shooter also! At 16 and being introduced to the sport is fantastic and great. JDC is a very good shop and boat. Tell him to feel free to post up a picture of the gag and I'm pretty sure he'll find some friends and congrats in this section.

Thanks for sharing the story!!

Will do John.
And actually, JDC is now running TWO boats. There is the Republic IV of course which you know and now the Tempation. Jerry updated the site recently. See link below.
http://www.jupiterdivecenter.com/

Hi John,

I know this is a late reply, but RIFFE just recently joined the forum. I would like to address your question to hopefully clear up any questions still out there regarding freeshafting with RIFFE spearguns.

Riffe's Competitor, Standard and Mid Handle Series teak spearguns were not designed for freeshafting, although it definitely can be done by modification. There are a few options. First, there is the Front Hoop Assembly Kit (K-8000) where you connect a coasted piece of cable to the front of the muzzle. See photo at http://www.speargun.com/accessory_04.htm#front%20hoop

Something new for RIFFE and great for Freeshafting is the new MAG-TRACK (patent pending). This feature comes standard on all RIFFE Euro Series spearguns. The MAG-TRACK is a special coated magnet that is inserted into the front of the speargun stock which not only allows you to hunt without line, but it makes loading your shaft much easier. As tested there is no power loss from Riffe's MAG-TRACK.

Important note: If you attempt to install a magnet yourself, keep in mind this will void your warranty. Riffe's MAG-TRACK magnet has been specially coated and tested to prevent damage to the stock (for example, corrosion and delamination).

Cost to have the MAG-TRACK installed in your current RIFFE (only) speargun stock is $30.00 + cost of shipping to and from the RIFFE factory. Please contact RIFFE before shipping your stock at info@speargun.com

Note - Metal Tech Series has an optional Enclosed Track Kit available.

Feel free to reply with any further questions.

Best regards
Jill Riffe

Back
Top Bottom