Coveralls for warm water diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaMarc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone use non-scuba coveralls for diving? The stuff a mechanic would wear. I am going on a trip were the water is in the low 80's, Last time I dove in the low 80's, the water was too warm. I once saw the captain of a dive boar in NC dive with coveralls and it look more comfortable than a wet suit.

Does anyone have any pros/con's?
Any coveralls they would be recommend?
How is diving with coveralls?

I've seen sump divers wear them. For general diving, it's a lot of fabric to drag around. Added resistance. Not much else wrong with it. I've dove jeans and a button up shirt quite a bit.

Cameron

Does anyone use non-scuba coveralls for diving?

I have a friend who is an excellent diver and he dives in coveralls on visits to West Palm when a tad chilly. It used to be a type of flight line suit with pockets "everywhere". The guy is a very good diver and says they work for him with his type of diving (spearing & hunting)

Robert Shaw rocked the business casual look in The Deep.

vnNwBqR.jpg

I'd go with a .5 or a 1mm wetsuit for protection and decreased drag.

Routinely worn here in Dubai by some when they just want abrasion resistance and no exposure protection

I'm also led to believe that using them as an additional layer over a wetsuit in colder times can give some protection from wind chill. obv I wouldn't' know because I don't do cold water. Ever.

I dive in a swimsuit and t-shirt. Works for me. Just practice great buoyancy control and be aware of your surroundings.

-snip-
And be aware of your surroundings.

Yes, particularly water temperature. ; )

Thinking more about wearing a full body suit of cotton. Cotton isn't the ideal material underwater, it causes enormous drag. A full body suit made of other materials works well.

Cotton, I've experienced it in diving areas where local culture and modesty standards dictate full body covering that isn't shape revealing. Can be done. We generally are very slow moving underwater anyway.

Which purposes would coveralls serve for you? Sunblock on the boat?

Cameron

Back
Top Bottom