Covid-19 (coronavirus) Updates - Liveaboard Cancellation Policy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That’s a tough pill to swallow.

As to the 121 day refund - do you think that they would actually refund your money less the cancellation fee - as in actual cash back to you?

If they did not, what avenues would you have to seek enforcement of the contract?

And what would lead you to believe that even the 80% credit could eventually be redeemed for value promised?

“ ... what was possible financially, when it was over.”

It’s over, good luck.

It's in their terms and conditions published on their website so it is difficult to argue, especially if they haven't cancelled your sailing...yet. If you paid by credit card, you could obviously request a chargeback if they refused to give you money back. We haven't decided what we are going to do yet but the best action is to reschedule right away and get a confirmed booking. The next worry is if they cancel that as well and then you also get 80% of THAT...It can be a never ending cycle. I'm ready to be done with this company, honestly. I cannot with good conscience recommend that anyone do business with them. They are requesting concessions from customers and are not offering any from their end. It's completely one-sided and selfish.

I’m not sure even I’ll be in the mood to be in that boat later. There are plenty of choices out there.

I know exactly what you mean. It has already ruined the trip before we've even been on it. Honestly, I felt that way even before they made any offer. The fact that they dragged their feet for so long and said the things that they did has done a lot of damage already. Offering only 80% just made it that much more worse and is the nail in their own proverbial coffin. It seems they are only driven by the financial bottom line. It is incredibly disappointing because I have only heard great things about their boats from many people here.

That's bad. Sorry to hear that.

I was on Spoilsport once. Pretty good liveaboard. So, who owns Mike Ball Dive Expeditions now?

Dan, it is run by a man names Craig Stephen.

Never met the man and certainly haven't heard from him since this whole fiasco happened - other than a generic email !

No we have not received a credit note or a refund and now we are not able to contact them.

You're right, it's truly poor.

Another three divers here extremely disappointed by Wallacea Dive Cruises' policy. As part of a group of eight on a half-charter, we were scheduled to be on the MV Ambai on a 100% paid-for trip from 1-12 April.

Wallacea Dive Cruises cancelled it as the MV Ambai did not sail due to Raja Ampat marine park closing before our trip was due to start.

Wallacea Dive Cruises effectively adviced that it is not financially feasible for them to offer their customers "free-of-charge" reschedules. Instead, here ie what Wallacea Dive Cruises expects ut to put up with:

- no refund,
even though they cancelled

- a 20% cancellation penalty

- an 80% voucher for a trip next year that is one day shorter

- voucher cannot be transferred to other parties/ guests, so if for unforeseen reasons you cannot even pass on your spot but will lose all your money

- trip cannot be rescheduled unless they cancel (not specifying what penalty they may choose to apply then)

- voucher not valid if the company is no loner financially able to honor it

Our group paid them a 100% of the price, and is now supposed to pay hundreds of dollars per recon on top of that; for a shorter trip; and only if we manage to coordinate eight people again to go as a group next year (otherwise we will lose even more money, and those who cannot go will lose all of it).

Given all the above, needless to say that our dealings with Wallacea Dive Cruises so far have severely affected our faith in this company. Under the current circumstances, we cannot recommend Wallacea Dive Cruises to anyone, and would not book with them again.

Some of us had bookings with another operator (Aggressor) who was proactive and offered a 100% reschedule for similar trip next year (at the same price paid for the cancelled trip even though this was on a 25% discount).

Has anyone had cancelation/rescheduling dealings with the Odyssey Iive-a-board in Truk since the FMS shut down incoming travel? I did hear of one group from Ohio that couldn't get past Hawaii, but I don't know what the Odyssey offered.
Thanks.
Rob

Another three divers here extremely disappointed by Wallacea Dive Cruises' policy. As part of a group of eight on a half-charter, we were scheduled to be on the MV Ambai on a 100% paid-for trip from 1-12 April.

Wallacea Dive Cruises cancelled it as the MV Ambai did not sail due to Raja Ampat marine park closing before our trip was due to start.

Wallacea Dive Cruises effectively adviced that it is not financially feasible for them to offer their customers "free-of-charge" reschedules. Instead, here ie what Wallacea Dive Cruises expects ut to put up with:

- no refund, even though they cancelled
- a 20% cancellation penalty
- an 80% voucher for a trip next year that is one day shorter
- voucher cannot be transferred to other parties/ guests, so if for unforeseen reasons you cannot even pass on your spot but will lose all your money
- trip cannot be rescheduled unless they cancel (not specifying what penalty they may choose to apply then)
- voucher not valid if the company is no loner financially able to honor it

Our group paid them a 100% of the price, and is now supposed to pay hundreds of dollars per recon on top of that; for a shorter trip; and only if we manage to coordinate eight people again to go as a group next year (otherwise we will lose even more money, and those who cannot go will lose all of it).
Given all the above, needless to say that our dealings with Wallacea Dive Cruises so far have severely affected our faith in this company. Under the current circumstances, we cannot recommend Wallacea Dive Cruises to anyone, and would not book with them again.
Some of us had bookings with another operator (Aggressor) who was proactive and offered a 100% reschedule for similar trip next year (at the same price paid for the cancelled trip even though this was on a 25% discount).

I'd reach out to Jerome and Yani - owners - and see what they have to say. Perhaps they have a compelling story to tell?

Maybe give them a call and get the person-to-person connection?

Interesting that Mile is both an admiralty lawyer and president found of Jangkar, represented as Indonesia's liveaboard association.

Jangkar seems to have both a www and facebook presence. They have an impressive list of members - both high-end and below boats.

Komodo & Raja Ampat Liveaboard | MSY Seahorse & MV Ambai Official

Meet the team : experts passionate in diving liveaboards

Wallacea Dive Cruise is an Indonesian liveaboard operator. The company - PT Wallacea Jalesveva Lestari - was founded in 2002 by a French-Indonesian couple, Suryani Mile and Jérôme Doucet.

Our main focus is to provide the best service to ensure the luxury of a comfortable, safe and convenient Indonesian dive liveaboard experience. Our friendly crew will be there 24/7 to assist you. Starting from planning your trip to the moment you are on board when you are out exploring Indonesia’s underwater marvels with our experienced dive guides, or even when you are fueling up for your next dives with our delectable cuisine selection. We are there for you.

Mile (Director)

In charge of all administrative aspects of the company.
Admiralty lawyer from the little town of Luwuk, Sulawesi.President and founder of “Jangkar”, Indonesia’s live-aboard association.
Jérôme Doucet (CEO)

In charge of cruise operations and technical maintenance.
French-born marine biologist, and Indonesian national for 13 years. Sea & sailing enthusiast, and proud "father/creator” of the MV Ambai. Frequent cruise director. Refined multilingual - fluent in English, Spanish, French and Indonesian.

Slick video

THE WALLACEA TEAM.png

I'd reach out to Jerome and Yani - owners - and see what they have to say. Perhaps they have a compelling story to tell?

Maybe give them a call and get the person-to-person connection?

Interesting that Mile is both an admiralty lawyer and president found of Jangkar, represented as Indonesia's liveaboard association.

Jangkar seems to have both a www and facebook presence. They have an impressive list of members - both high-end and below boats.

Komodo & Raja Ampat Liveaboard | MSY Seahorse & MV Ambai Official

Meet the team : experts passionate in diving liveaboards

Wallacea Dive Cruise is an Indonesian liveaboard operator. The company - PT Wallacea Jalesveva Lestari - was founded in 2002 by a French-Indonesian couple, Suryani Mile and Jérôme Doucet.

Our main focus is to provide the best service to ensure the luxury of a comfortable, safe and convenient Indonesian dive liveaboard experience. Our friendly crew will be there 24/7 to assist you. Starting from planning your trip to the moment you are on board when you are out exploring Indonesia’s underwater marvels with our experienced dive guides, or even when you are fueling up for your next dives with our delectable cuisine selection. We are there for you.

Mile (Director)

In charge of all administrative aspects of the company.
Admiralty lawyer from the little town of Luwuk, Sulawesi.President and founder of “Jangkar”, Indonesia’s live-aboard association.
Jérôme Doucet (CEO)

In charge of cruise operations and technical maintenance.
French-born marine biologist, and Indonesian national for 13 years. Sea & sailing enthusiast, and proud "father/creator” of the MV Ambai. Frequent cruise director. Refined multilingual - fluent in English, Spanish, French and Indonesian.

Slick video

View attachment 579185

Hi, @Cert1967 - Thanks for doing all the detective work and including all the information in your post. Our agent has actually been in direct contact with the owner, Jerome Doucet, who is also referred to as CEO (as you have shown) and Managing Director, as he has signed in the below e-mail. Jangkar/Indonesian Liveaboard Association has actually put together a letter dated April 6 which I have seen that is addressed to "Partners" (my guess are those are agencies/agents) with a list of liveaboard members who have stated they will reschedule customers but for a fee. I'd even be fine paying a sailing rate difference if there was one but this is ridiculous.

The letter cites the same reasons that Jerome's e-mail mentioned which I have provided a rebuttal of here but they are standing firm on their outrageous policy. It is at best a cut and paste that is half baked in thoughts. I strongly urge that you read the rebuttal. However, I know for a fact that some of those liveaboards listed have actually rescheduled customers (Scubaboard members!) at no additional cost or have issued 100% value or equivalent sailing vouchers. (Damai, Carpe Diem, Calico Jack to name a few.)

We made this decision after a long and careful consideration over the past few weeks for the following reason:

As recalled here above free of charge reschedules for all the cancellations is not financially feasible for our company. How could we possibly ignore the huge cost for us to reschedule about 1/4 of our yearly customers? Not only we expect to have our boats empty for a period of at least months but we’ll have ¼ of our trips filled with non-paying customers in 2021. Given the fact that we still need to go through all our fixed costs as salaries, marketing, boat maintenance, yearly mandatory dry docking, fuel, just waiting that the situation ends , we will certainly suffer huge losses and eventually have to shut down our business. if the bookings do not resume in the incoming months. I’d like to emphasize especially about our crew: we have to keep paying their salary since unemployment benefits do not exist in Indonesia. They would be left with zero financial support if we don’t do so. Also, establishing an effective crew on liveaboard take years and they are, after all, the heart of our service. We are sorry to have to involve our customers in this financial difficulty, however, we won't be able to maintain the standards of safety and service aboard our boats in any other way. I hope I have clearly explained why we are not able to give any refund or free reschedule and I hope that the guests will find our proposition fair and acceptable.
Many thanks in advance for your understanding.

Best reagrds,.
Jérôme Doucet
Managing Director

err. cross posting, sorry for confusion. From aggressor home page:

If your adventure is delayed by the travel restrictions or consider yourself elderly or have health issues and are scheduled to travel from March 16th through April 11th, we are offering a travel voucher to return back to that destination, no questions asked, for up to one year. Just get with your travel agent, dive shop or our Adventure Planner to request your voucher. We will update this timeline if the restrictions are not lifted by then.

https://www.aggressor.com/pages/special-message

Help please! I clicked through your link to aggressors special messages and don't see where they made the covid19 statement about vouchers if you're elderly or at risk. I do see where they are issuing vouchers for everyone booked up until may 9th. I'm concerned for at risk travel starting the 16th.

Help please! I clicked through your link to aggressors special messages and don't see where they made the covid19 statement about vouchers if you're elderly or at risk. I do see where they are issuing vouchers for everyone booked up until may 9th. I'm concerned for at risk travel starting the 16th.

They seem to have changed that language when updating their page. I don't know what to tell you other than I really did copy that part (but unfortunately not the whole page) on the date specified.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom