Covid-19 Travel Restrictions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CWK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am putting up this thread purely for updates on travel restrictions imposed by various countries due to Covid-19. Countries may be scuba diving destination countries or countries that divers may transit en route to their destinations. Divers seeking information on travel restrictions for their destination and transit countries may seek information on restrictions here.

To start things off:

Malaysia - Travel restrictions on visitors (irrespective of nationality) who have visited South Korea (Daegu City and Chengdo country) and China (Hubei, Zhejiang and Jiangsu provinces) within 14 days prior to entry into Malaysia. In addition, all Chinese nationals from Hubei and Wuhan are temporarily banned.

Not able to enter a country is a lot easier to deal with.
Not able to leave is another matter.
When Philippines issued the ban abruptly to certain nationals. Those poor souls have to go home via a third country!!!

I took a glance at the IATA link provided by CWK. I am aware of one situation where the IATA information may be incomplete or misleading.

For people traveling to French Polynesia, I would refer you to a link in the Air Tahiti Nui website to see what applies to you, depending on your country of departure and where your recent travels have taken you.

Flights, Airfare to Tahiti & Bora Bora | Air Tahiti Nui

The IATA website says for French Polynesia, for example: "All passengers are recommended to present a medical certificate....". In my opinion, the wording in the Air Tahiti Nui website is much stronger than that. I don't read it as a mere "recommendation".

Be advised that the situation - and therefore the Air Tahiti Nui requirements - are still very fluid: I have seen the Air Tahiti Nui requirements change at least twice already in the past two weeks.

I am no expert but common sense says to me that divers with upcoming trips - especially liveaboard trips - should contact the liveaboard operator to see if there are any added requirements for their trip dates. Liveaboards, like cruise ships, can sometimes be viewed as living Petri dishes, so it would not surprise me if some have or will be instituting similar requirements for proof of good health before being allowed to board. My guess being that the last thing they need is to become another Princess cruise liner.

Denmark and Poland close borders to foreigners

Yesterday (Friday 13 March), the Government of Canada issued a Travel Warning advising against "all non-essential travel outside of Canada until further notice".
Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 11.06.03 AM.png

The GoC had also previously issued a warning to avoid all cruise ship travel.
Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 11.07.29 AM.png

I aimply suggest this to everyone: PLEASE, DO NOT TRAVEL !
It is the only way to slow down the spreading of the virus. Do not place your money or your enjoyment before health and life of people.
STAY HOME!

I aimply suggest this to everyone: PLEASE, DO NOT TRAVEL !
It is the only way to slow down the spreading of the virus. Do not place your money or your enjoyment before health and life of people.
STAY HOME!
I think most understand that.
The question is, for how long? April, sure. May, maybe. June, unclear. July? What about a trip in, say, August, September, or October, or November?

I think most understand that.
The question is, for how long? April, sure. May, maybe. June, unclear. July? What about a trip in, say, August, September, or October, or November?
No one can answer with some degree of certainty. I would recommend not to make any program in the next months, until we know better.

Back
Top Bottom