Covid-19 Travel Restrictions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After you've washed your arse how do you dry it? Asking for a friend :)
Fire up the compressor. I prefer modified grade E air on my backside.

I have heard that in some parts of the US not only food is being a problem, but also TOILET PAPER...
I really wonder how this can be possible? Is this really a problem in US?

It is a self created problem because there really are a lot of idiots out there.

In Japan, the toilets wash and dries your arse. Get a massage while you're at it.

After you've washed your arse how do you dry it? Asking for a friend :)
With a small towel.
Of course these towels need to be washed quite frequently, and in an home usually these towels are personalized (by colour, etc.)...
Sorry for steering the conversion significantly OT...

In Japan, the toilets wash and dries your arse. Get a massage while you're at it.

Well, not in Japan only, in South Korea they also have these advanced electronic WC systems including heating of the seat, washing, drying and spray deodorizer...
In Arab countries, on the other side, often you find a water hose beside the WC, with a nozzle creating a quite powerful jet.
Again sorry for bring all this OT...

Re Italian data: this is from Coronavirus Update (Live): 182,442 Cases and 7,158 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

tn_it-flag.gif
ITALY: Italian media are reporting the change in active cases (a lower number) rather than the change in total cases (a higher number), representing it as "newly infected" when, in fact, it represents the "change in active cases." ("nuovi_attualmente_positivi").

Newly infected, meaning the number of people who have tested positive to the virus in the last day, is the number shown on the table above, which corresponds to the change in total cases in accordance with the international standards set by the WHO and followed by all countries.

The change in active cases (what Italian media label as "newly infected") is the result of the following formula: (newly infected) - (new deaths) - (new recoveries). All data, including total cases ("totale_casi") is available on Italy's Dipartimento della Protezione Civile official repository

It is like being in those catastrophic films showing the world after a nuclear war.
I am in Parma, a city in the North-west, very close to the epicentre of the infection. We are entirely shot down since two weeks now, and the number of infected and deaths is boosting.
Our university hospital, despite being among the best of Italy, and probably of the world, is on the edge of collapse.
Here we see the effect of political decisions which favoured "excellence" and "quality" against "average" and "quantity".
It is now clear that it had been better to have more beds in intensive care units, equipped just with basic equipment, instead of having only a few, equipped with best-in-world technologies.
Same for personnel, of course. It highly qualified and skilled, but numerically insufficient for dealing with the present crisis.
Our university has "closed number" at admission at medical professions (both medical doctors and nursery), and trains them incredibly well. The closed number is due to the fact that our health system only hires a small number of people. To the point that some of our doctors emigrate to other countries (where they are usually highly praised and requested). Now we suddenly understand that this pursue of "excellence" made while cutting funds for the health system was wrong.
Here a photo of the situation in our hospitals (from the local newspaper "La Gazzetta di Parma"):
View attachment 574107
As you see, personnel has to wear high protection suits all the day, which makes even breathing difficult.
The city is deserted. Today is a warm, sunny day, in a normal period the city would be fully of people gathering around (typically using bicycles, as Parma, together with Ferrara, is known as a "bicycle town").
Here a photo of our main square, Piazza Garibaldi:
View attachment 574108
The only vehicles around are police and ambulances. It is scaring.
People can exit from house only for purchasing food or medicines. They must keep distance and the entrance in food shops is regulated, so there are widely-spaced queues in front of them:
View attachment 574109
The good thing is that there is no food shortage (also because Parma is called "the food valley"). Here inside one of our best food shops, La Beccheria:
View attachment 574110
Personnel is wearing masks and gloves, customers not always.
Staying weeks in home and having purchased a lot of food "for safety" is causing a lot of people eating and drinking too much. This will possibly cause a wave of secondary health problems in the next weeks.
TV and Internet are bombarding us with just one message: STAY HOME!
Most people organised for working from home: this required to convert suddenly a lot of procedures to their electronics equivalent. Italy was quite slow adopting IT technologies, in comparison with other countries of similar size and wealth such as Japan or South Korea.
This emergency is forcing our companies and public administration to switch immediately to modern computer-based procedures, and this will be probably the only good thing resulting from the epidemic.
My son just graduated in IT engineering, and now he is receiving a large number of proposals of hiring, suddenly this is a highly required qualification.
Schools and university will probably stay closed for at least another month. This required to switch all the course to E-learning methods, and most teachers were not ready for this. I was lucky, as in past years i had already created video recordings of the lessons of all my courses at the university, so in half a day I managed to make all this material available to my students.
But E-learning is never the same as real lessons in classrooms or experiments done together with the students in the lab.
I fear that this forced interruption of normal activities will leave "holes" in their preparation.
So in the end here population is following strictly the government's recommendation, and we have good hopes to pass through this bad period without suffering large permanent damages, and minimizing the number of lives lost (in Parma till now we had approximately 80 deceased).
Don't know if I should "like" this but I do appreciate a "feet on the ground" report. Thank you

It is hard to balance hospitals between "normal" and "pandemic". Not sure any system could support a hospital system that was setup and stocked with rooms, beds, nurses, doctors and supplies to handle every pandemic that COULD happen.

I have heard that in some parts of the US not only food is being a problem, but also TOILET PAPER...
I really wonder how this can be possible? Is this really a problem in US?
Only because people are silly and started buying all they could find and hoarding it. Friday I ordered a case, 80 rolls, for my shop because we were low and it came today. I could have ordered more but don't want it taking up space. Any supply problems in the US up to now are from people buying more than they can use because they think it may be hard to get.

In my opinion, the easiest way to handle this is for the suppliers to raise prices when they see increased demand. This would stop the problem.

Well, not in Japan only, in South Korea they also have these advanced electronic WC systems including heating of the seat, washing, drying and spray deodorizer...
In Arab countries, on the other side, often you find a water hose beside the WC, with a nozzle creating a quite powerful jet.
Again sorry for bring all this OT...
No! I've wondered how that all worked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom