Covid surging in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Better still go to abbot.com and drill down to the horse's mouth explanation:
View attachment 643890
and see that yes: it is the RNA aka "genetic material" aka "molecular" test. This is pretty cool, actually, how quickly they got it from "days" to minutes and a lunchbox-sized gizmo.
Yes, that's good, even though it was not the question....which started as "is it an antigen" test and then moved to "how long is the wait?"
Abbott is also producing an antigen test, but it is not yet something deployed via XpresCheck.

Yes, that's good, even though it was not the question....which started as "is it an antigen" test and then moved to "how long is the wait?"
Abbott is also producing an antigen test, but it is not yet something deployed via XpresCheck.

That is correct. XpressCheck answered back that it is not an antigen test, also confirmed by the technology specific test they use as their rapid test.

Doesn't matter much to me since I'm not flying without the vaccine and I'm in the last group (all others). So my May trip is most likely history.. BUT for others it would be interesting to get a clarification from the Netherlands if they would accept this rapid test. Possibly even involve xprescheck...

Doesn't matter much to me since I'm not flying without the vaccine and I'm in the last group (all others). So my May trip is most likely history.. BUT for others it would be interesting to get a clarification from the Netherlands if they would accept this rapid test. Possibly even involve xprescheck...
Per the Netherlands website they do accept the rapid molecular. My email to them for confirmation was forwarded to Bonaire for an answer specific to Bonaire. But as of this morning no response. So I sent a similar email directly to Bonaire this morning. I also asked if they would clarify the time frame in regards to a flight that originated in one state but with a change of planes in another that could then put the traveler beyond the 4 hour time requirement to “leave the country.”

Reactions: mbs
Per the Netherlands website they do accept the rapid molecular. My email to them for confirmation was forwarded to Bonaire for an answer specific to Bonaire. But as of this morning no response. So I sent a similar email directly to Bonaire this morning. I also asked if they would clarify the time frame in regards to a flight that originated in one state but with a change of planes in another that could then put the traveler beyond the 4 hour time requirement to “leave the country.”

Makes one's head spin :wink:

Per the Netherlands website they do accept the rapid molecular.
I read the Netherlands website as accepting a particular rapid molecular, just not the one that Abbot labs uses.
This all going to change. we just don't know when.
NL can widen their criteria, Bonaire can get a waiver, other on-site antigen tests can show up at airports....
It does make it awfully hard to plan, however.

Meanwhile, the latest surge in Bonaire has appeared to turn around.
upload_2021-2-24_12-4-45.png

upload_2021-2-24_12-5-1.png

I read the Netherlands website as accepting a particular rapid molecular, just not the one that Abbot labs uses.
This all going to change. we just don't know when.
NL can widen their criteria, Bonaire can get a waiver, other on-site antigen tests can show up at airports....
It does make it awfully hard to plan, however.

The change appears to be coming March 3rd...

The mandatory rapid test for travelers to the Netherlands will be replaced on 3 March by a NAAT test - the new name for PCR - which may not be older than twelve hours and with a negative result. The government has announced this.

Looks like just the single test no older than 12 hours... Crazy...

The change appears to be coming March 3rd...

The mandatory rapid test for travelers to the Netherlands will be replaced on 3 March by a NAAT test - the new name for PCR - which may not be older than twelve hours and with a negative result. The government has announced this.

Looks like just the single test no older than 12 hours... Crazy...
Yeah, just saw that.
It looks like the Abbott ID NOW test offered by XpresCheck will suffice, at $200, but....
Options now might be:
Can't get it before one's flight to the gateway cities (ATL, IAH, EWR, MIA) because XpresCheck is not open early enough
Can't get it the day before and meet the 12h requirement.
Could stay overnight in IAH, MIA, ATL, or EWR and get tested in the morning before the flight to BON. Costs more, plus test cost.
Or could travel through Aruba or Curacao, but it is unclear what tests will be needed to fly there...maybe just the 72h PCR.​

Back
Top Bottom