Covid surging in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm aware of the change from 4 hours to 24 hours....I'm also aware that the Netherlands made the rule. I didn't mention Bonaire or direct my comments at Bonaire in my post. I was simply commenting on the contradiction clearly in play when the 4 hour requirement was in place.

I'm aware of the change from 4 hours to 24 hours....I'm also aware that the Netherlands made the rule. I didn't mention Bonaire or direct my comments at Bonaire in my post. I was simply commenting on the contradiction clearly in play when the 4 hour requirement was in place.
LOL. The 4h requirement only existed a short time because it was stupid.
Bonaire has to live with NL rules and laws that are really not applicable. That was their Faustian bargain made in 2010.

I read this to mean that while the 72-hour PCR is still required, the 24-hour antigen test is replaced by this on-arrival antigen test:

Antigen test now available on arrival as of June 1
The Bonaire island government foresees positive developments for our economy. This after intensive talks with the Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport, VWS. The result of this is that after 5 months Bonaire has gone to travel advice code yellow.
This is possible because Bonaire currently seems to have the cases of Covid-19 under control. There is also a significant reduction in active infections. Another positive factor is that Bonaire is one of the islands in the region with a high percentage of people vaccinated against the corona virus. 71% of residents aged 18 and older have the first shot and 38% have already received the second corona pepper.
The efforts of the Bonairian island government in recent months, which has always been in talks with the Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport (VWS), have yielded positive results. Previously, airlines from the United States did not want to start flights to Bonaire because the entry policy was too complex according to the ministerial regulation. The US public health system could not guarantee that travelers would have the result of a NAAT / PCR or antigen test before departure. The result of the intensive talks with the Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport (VWS) is that during a debate in the Lower House on April 28, an amendment was submitted to allow the administration of the Antigen test also upon arrival. The amendment was supported by the majority in the House of Representatives and it is expected that it can enter into force by 1 June at the latest.
This decision will bring about extremely positive developments for the tourism sector and therefore for our general economy and employment. From June the American airlines can fly to Bonaire again. Both Delta Air Lines and American Airlines have now announced that they will start flying back to Bonaire from 5 June.
In addition, the Ministers of Health, Welfare and Sport, Justice and Security and the Interior and Kingdom Relations have canceled Bonaire's status as a high-risk area. From 19 May travel advice code yellow will apply to Bonaire. This is expected to increase the number of travelers arriving from Europe with KLM or TUI. During color code orange, which was announced by the Netherlands on December 15, 2020 to discourage travel in general, airlines and tour operators were not able to offer package holidays. In addition, passengers could not purchase travel insurance with Covid coverage. As a result, the number of travelers coming to our island from Europe has dropped drastically. Travelers who are now flying back to the Netherlands no longer need to have a NAAT / PCR test and / or antigen test taken. The quarantine advice also expires for them and this makes it a lot more attractive and cheaper to fly to Bonaire on holiday. Bonaire still requires a negative result of the NAAT / PCR test and / or the antigen test upon arrival of passengers on our island if they come from a high-risk area, such as the Netherlands and USA. Discussions are underway with a view to making exceptions for fully vaccinated people in the near future.
“Tourism Corporation Bonaire (TCB) is very happy with the news of color coded yellow. We can continue with marketing campaigns, not only in the European market but now also in the American market. In the coming months of May and June, several influencers will visit Bonaire, putting our island in the spotlight ”, according to Marjolein Oleana - Business Manager TCB.
The tourism industry, with which the island government maintains close contact throughout the Covid period, is particularly excited about the prospect of welcoming American tourists again after more than 15 months.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBonaireReporter/

Yes, you have read that correctly.
But, if convenient, you can take your antigen test within 24 of departure for Bonaire and NOT have to take it (and pay for it) upon arrival.
Note however, this is a reporter's article, not a government statement. Still waiting for that.

Both Delta Air Lines and American Airlines have now announced that they will start flying back to Bonaire from 5 June.

Do you have a source for this information? I have seen speculation on the internet but no actual statement from the Airlines.

Some of the Airlines, AA for example, have been selling tickets for the last couple of months only to cancel prior to departure.

Do you have a source for this information? I have seen speculation on the internet but no actual statement from the Airlines.
You can check the airline schedules, for example.
You can check some of the sites that use the GDS (Global Distribution System; used by most airlines to make the schedules available to travel agents), for example Google Travel and Matrix - ITA Software by Google.
Be advised if you don't see a flight, it might mean there are no seats available. The link above allows you to search either for flights or seats. Use flights, unless you are really looking for a seat.
For example, the link above shows all the one-way flights MIA-BON in June; those crossed out are not American. this is for flights.
upload_2021-5-24_16-11-57.png

The same thing for flights WITH seats; some flights are not missing, i.e. no seats available.
upload_2021-5-24_16-14-19.png

Cpace, the quote in my post was from the Bonaire newspaper. However, in addition to Matrix per Tursiops, I have June 5 Delta tickets which are holding so far.

Cpace, the quote in my post was from the Bonaire newspaper. However, in addition to Matrix per Tursiops, I have June 5 Delta tickets which are holding so far.
The last few months AA has cancelled the following month of flights MIA-BON on the last Sunday before the next Saturday's supposed flight. If they continue to follow that pattern, we should know on Sunday May 30 what their plans are for June 5.

My recollection is that Delta cancelled a month or more at a time—I’m pretty sure it cancelled April and May in February. But past does not predict future these days.

Back
Top Bottom