Covid test to get home?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What that means to me, those overseas resorts would start adding another checking out step where the guests have to get PCR swab test within 3 days of their guests before going back home, as mentioned in this thread, Covid testing at AM Resorts

I’ll be in Ramon Village resort, Belize next month. I’ll check it out how would the resort be handling this new restriction and post what I learn here later.

For some of us on liveaboard, we would need to stay a night or two in the hotel near the disembarking port to get the PCR swab test, which I plan to do in March, when I’ll be on Emperor liveaboard in Maldives.

Update:
For returning home US residents, we would only need antigen test and allowing 2 hours extra time to get the result, not 2-3 days as for PCR test. Nautilus Liveaboard would provide it to their guests for free, before disembarking their boats. COVID-19 Testing Now Available Onboard Nautilus - Nautilus Liveaboards

Another update for guest coming to Cabo to go to Socorro, the negative PCR test, which had costed me $130 each prior to going to Socorro, is no longer needed. Nautilus would conduct a pre-boarding antigen test to all their guests.

As for Belize, I heard that antigen test, 48 hours before the outbound flight, is acceptable, which would save me a bundle. Another option is to take the antigen test there at their airport for $50 / swab.

Before flying home from Belize, Ramon Village resort, where I'll be staying two weeks from now, is willing to split the antigen test cost, not free as some resorts in Cozumel are offering.

Roatan, the island is mostly boat diving but Coco View Resort has shore diving as well as their boats. They have arrangements in place for testing of departing guests.
thanks, I could not book flights to Roatan, Canadian airlines are dropping flights left and right
I instead booked Bayahibe, on the Caribbean side of DR, but am having trouble finding a dive outfit that will let me take solo dives

Update:
For returning home US residents, we would only need antigen test and allowing 2 hours extra time to get the result, not 2-3 days as for PCR test. Nautilus Liveaboard would provide it to their guests for free, before disembarking their boats. COVID-19 Testing Now Available Onboard Nautilus - Nautilus Liveaboards

Another update for guest coming to Cabo to go to Socorro, the negative PCR test, which had costed me $130 each prior to going to Socorro, is no longer needed. Nautilus would conduct a pre-boarding antigen test to all their guests.

As for Belize, I heard that antigen test, 48 hours before the outbound flight, is acceptable, which would save me a bundle. Another option is to take the antigen test there at their airport for $50 / swab.

Before flying home from Belize, Ramon Village resort, where I'll be staying two weeks from now, is willing to split the antigen test cost, not free as some resorts in Cozumel are offering.

Which resorts in Cozumel are offering it for free? That would go a long way to keeping my partner from canceling our trip.

He's more concerned we'll have to quarantine when we get back to the USA.

Canada just announced that in addition to a negative PCR test 72 hours prior to arrival, incoming travelers will also require another PCR test at the airport upon arrival. They will then be required to stay in a quarantine hotel facility for up to three days to await the results before being allowed to continue home to complete their 14 day self isolation requirement.
All this at the traveler's expense, which could reach $2000 according to the press release.

Edit: I have no idea how they are estimating $2K for a test and three days in a hotel. That amount seems absurd unless it is if you test positive and have to spend the full 14 days in the hotel.

Airlines suspending certain flights, Ottawa introducing quarantine hotel stays to discourage travel | CBC News

That amount seems absurd unless it is if you test positive and have to spend the full 14 days in the hotel.

The answer is in the wording of the link you've posted - "discourage travel"

The answer is in the wording of the link you've posted - "discourage travel"

The government travel advisory went live last March. Almost a year later and folks were still booking non-essential travel. While this new measure is going to be very unpopular, we need to get the numbers under control. Most folks will be scared off by the $2K price tag.

Would DiveAssure travel insurance take care of that hotel quarantine expenses, if the PCR result shows positive?

Would DiveAssure travel insurance take care of that hotel quarantine expenses, if the PCR result shows positive?

Good question. You might get coverage if there was a COVID rider that specified testing for departure/return. But given the $$$ cost for a family, I would not be surprised if travelers are on the hook for the full amount.

Has anyone considered the problems of getting a positive test before you return home? I believe that you may be quarantined in a less than luxurious premises - and have to pay for the privilege while waiting and if even one of your boatload of passengers from a liveaboard get a positive, you may get quarantined along with them. So you've got to make the contingency plan. Undercurrent has the details of a group who spent an extra 17 days in the Maldives, after a 10-day safari. Got an understanding boss?

Has anyone considered the problems of getting a positive test before you return home? I believe that you may be quarantined in a less than luxurious premises - and have to pay for the privilege while waiting and if even one of your boatload of passengers from a liveaboard get a positive, you may get quarantined along with them. So you've got to make the contingency plan. Undercurrent has the details of a group who spent an extra 17 days in the Maldives, after a 10-day safari. Got an understanding boss?

More detail than the ones posted here?
Covid-19 infection on a liveaboard at the Maldives

I do. That’s why I got DiveAssure with COVID-19 rider.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom