Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcm1911a1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I (just over 100 dives each, diving since 2008) are planning a one week trip to COZ in late July or early August. We would like to keep it simple and stay at an all-inclusive (not an absolute must) within walking distance to town to venture off site for dinner most nights. We would prefer to have a dive op on site that we could also utilize for a day trip for snorkling with whale sharks. Any suggestions? Am I seeking the impossible?

We have been to Coz 3 times, staying at Cozumel Palace and Aura Wyndham using Dive with Martin and once at Scuba Club.

I'm a little confused by this apparent contradiction:
"We would like to...stay at an all-inclusive"
and
"within walking distance to town to venture off site for dinner most nights"

Most of us (myself included) avoid all-inclusives because the food scene on Cozumel is so good, and as you suggest, popping into town offers so many great restaurant options. If you want to do the same, you're wasting your money on an all-inclusive, no?

For a mid-range place within easy walking distance of town (but not in the center itself) we like Hotel Cozumel & Resort. It's about a 10 minute walk south of town. Not 4-star luxury but comfy enough for me. Note that they push their all-inclusive option, but they also offer a breakfast-only option which works much better for me.

Any good dive op will pick you up and drop you off at almost any central or south hotel, so I see no reason to choose a place based on their affiliated dive op.

Can't help you with whale shark trip suggestions - wrong island.

We would prefer to have a dive op on site that we could also utilize for a day trip for snorkling with whale sharks. Any suggestions? Am I seeking the impossible?
Yes, pretty much. There aren't any whale sharks within easy boating range of Cozumel. For that you'll have to go north of Cancun to the waters around Isla Mujeres and Holbox. A whale shark trip can be done from Cozumel, but you'll need to take the ferry across to Playa del Carmen, travel overland up to Cancun, and catch a boat out to the sharks. It's an all day trip from Cozumel.

Here's a link:
Holbox Whale Shark Tours. The best whale shark tour in the Yucatan Peninsula. Holbox Whale Shark Tours. The best whale shark tour in the Yucatan Peninsula.

Last edited:
I agree, don't do all inclusive, the food in Cozumel is great! Scuba Club has a breakfast/lunch only option and you can walk to town from there.
Many places offer whale shark tours, but they all involve taking the ferry to Playa del Carmen. I used
Cozumel Scuba and Whale Shark Tour Experts - Blue H2o Cozumel
John, the owner, was great, they guarantee whale sharks and they arrange everything after you get off the ferry. Its an all-day adventure, as tggunn said, you travel way up north past Cancun.
But well worth it!

Reactions: JFS
Add me as another vote against All Inclusive on Cozumel, unless there is a VERY good reason for it (like you're traveling with kids, and you want them to be able to feed themselves without constantly giving them cash). Far too many good restaurants in every price range with a wide variety of cuisines on Cozumel to get locked into an AI. There are a few AIs close to town, but both with downsides. Cozumel Palace is an easy walk to town, and pretty decent food (from what I hear), but very expensive. Cozumel Hotel and Resort is a bit farther away, huge pool, comfy rooms, still not a bad walk to town, but, IMHO, the food is TERRIBLE. The good news is that Cozumel Hotel offers a breakfast only option, and while the breakfast is nothing to write home about, it's certainly edible, pretty good if you stick to the omelet station. The coffee is swill, though. Best downtown option, IMO, is Casa Mexicana, much better breakfast buffet, included in the room, and very convenient to all restaurants and a number of excellent dive ops. But Casa Mexicana has only a very small splash pool, IMO a real downside for a July or August trip when it can get very hot and muggy. For me, a big pool is a must for a July trip to Coz, and I'd probably opt for Hotel Cozumel at that time of year, just for the pool.

The Whale Shark trip is well worth it, but from Cozumel it is an exhausting all day trip, catching a very early Ferry to PDC, a van to a marina up north of Cancun, and a long boat ride out to the Whale Shark area. Plan on getting up very early, being gone all day, and returning to Cozumel about 5:30 or 6:00 completely wiped out. And prepare yourself for a real cardio workput snorkeling with the Whale Sharks - it's NOT like your lazy snorkel over the coral reefs, it's hard work. But amazing being in the water within a few feet of a fish the size of a school bus.

BTW, the house Dive Op at Hotel Cozumel is Dive Paradise, certainly a competent operator, and I won't say anything negative - I've been diving with them before, they were fine and I wouldn't hesitate to go with them again if I were on a group trip and they were the designated Dive Op - but they are not my cup of tea, and wouldn't be my first (or second, or third) choice on Cozumel if the selection was up to me - DSFDF. You are NOT stuck with the house Dive Op at any hotel - check out any of the highly reviewed Dive Ops on this board, Aldora (my preference, HP Steel 120 tanks, long bottom times, long SI at beach club, lots of boats, sorting divers by experience and ability, etc.), Blue XTSea, Liquid Blue, Tres Pelicanos, and others, all with their own rabid supporters and cheerleaders, any of which will almost certainly give you a great dive experience.

Last edited:
Isn't Cozumel Palace an AI near town? Or Scuba Club? If those didn't please you I doubt any others will. If you're going to eat dinners out then no need for AI unless you drink a lot. Many places include breakfast.

Coz dive shops don't operate whale shark snorkel trips although they might help make arrangements for you. You can call up any mainland tour company for the same arrangements. Point is, your shop might be able to help out but you aren't going to be whale shark snorkeling on your usual dive boat with the usual captain and DM.

You do not need to go to Holbox to snorkel with whale sharks. There are plenty of options out of Isla Mujeres near Cancun and maybe some based out of the mainland near Cancun.

Whale Shark Season Starts May 15 - Sept 17. Blue H2O Cozumel guarantees its tours. Plan and book early, its going to be another epic year.

beetleshark1.jpg

BTW... Has anyone gone whale shark snorkeling in early October? That's when I'm going to be there (flying into Cancun) and wondered if it was still an option. I've done it in summer - it's an easy trip to go straight from Cancun airport to IM and stay a couple nights... then back and on to Cozumel. Wonderful experience with the dominos.

BTW... Has anyone gone whale shark snorkeling in early October? That's when I'm going to be there (flying into Cancun) and wondered if it was still an option. I've done it in summer - it's an easy trip to go straight from Cancun airport to IM and stay a couple nights... then back and on to Cozumel. Wonderful experience with the dominos.

The Whale Sharks are migratory, and by October they are well out of the area. June to early September are the months when they congregate off of Isla Mujeres and Isla Holbox. By October, they're gone, moved south, I think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom