Coz Tanks & O-Rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speaking of squirming, it helps a lot to get a good seal to turn on the air slowly. Opening fast is more likely to blow an 0-ring.

Turn slowly and partially hold down a purge valve on a reg for half a second.

Turn slowly and partially hold down a purge valve on a reg for half a second.
Ho much do you think it drops pressure between the tank and the valve to hold down your purge valve?

Ho much do you think it drops pressure between the tank and the valve to hold down your purge valve?
Depends on how long. Can you measure a single breath?

edit: Never mind, misread the question.

I agree, the second you crack that valve regardless of how slowly you open it that tiny space gets hit with 3000 PSI instantly. Holding the purge open on your secondary reg or octo attached to the low pressure side of your primary regulator accomplishes nothing in my personal opinion... Kind of like opening a fire hydrant with a garden hose attached to it and squeezing the trigger on the hose sprayer at the same time will make any difference in the load that hits that hose when that hydrant is cracked open.

I agree, the second you crack that valve regardless of how slowly you open it that tiny space gets hit with 3000 PSI instantly. Holding the purge open on your secondary reg or octo attached to the low pressure side of your primary regulator accomplishes nothing in my personal opinion... Kind of like opening a fire hydrant with a garden hose attached to it and squeezing the trigger on the hose sprayer at the same time will make any difference in the load that hits that hose when that hydrant is cracked open.

It's more about reducing the hit on the second stage. With just one tank, you need to choose which second stage. With two tanks, a diver can do one then the other. I agree the other o-rings don't benefit so much if at all.

Whatever, do as you wish. I'm not going to try to scientifically prove it, I'm just saying from my experience blasting open the valve is far more likely to result in a hissing leak if not loud pop of a enxtruded o-ring than slowly opening it. Do as you please.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom