Cozumel airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

michshlomo

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm arriving at Cozumel airport tomorrow,
Can someone direct me to the post that explained about the taxis and the rip offs?
The one I see was updated in 2016, I can't find anything recent.

Thanks!

I don’t think there’s a taxi rip-off at the airport. You can only use the van service. The rip-off is if you get hooked by the time share people. When you exit the door after customs make a right and walk past them to the last booth on your left. Ask there for the bus ticket and tell them where you want to go. Prices are preset.

if you insist on a taxi, leave the airport and walk a few hundred yards to the roundabout. You can probably get one there, if not, head to the right and one will show up.

Hi,

I'm arriving at Cozumel airport tomorrow,
Can someone direct me to the post that explained about the taxis and the rip offs?
The one I see was updated in 2016, I can't find anything recent.

Thanks!
A couple of things...

Curious George is correct; there are no taxis at the airport, and just walk past anyone with a clipboard asking you where you are staying. Do not step up to any free standing tables. For airport shuttle tix bear to your right out of Customs and go to the booth inset into the wall with a glass front.

As far as taxi ripoffs are concerned, yes, some taxistas will try to wheedle you out of a little more cash than you owe, and if you pay in dollars you will pay more, but it's all small stuff. Taxis are very cheap compared to any you will encounter in US cities.

Thanks guys, I most def do not insist on a taxi. I'm heading to Blue Angel.

I understood George's directions.
@ggunn - You wrote -

For airport shuttle tix bear to your right out of Customs and go to the booth inset into the wall with a glass front.

Did you mean the same thing as George? My English seem to not be good enough to understand whether you are both referring to the same bus, sorry about that!

walk past them to the last booth on your left
Turn right after customs, and then it's actually the last booth on your right. The door to the outside is directly opposite to the left. Just avoid anyone standing in the hallway and you'll be fine. The shuttle person is seated behind a glass screen.

Did you mean the same thing as George? My English seem to not be good enough to understand whether you are both referring to the same bus, sorry about that!
I think they were agreeing, as do I: Do not stop for people in the building offering to help as they are lying scammers. Go to the window off to the right and buy a shared van ticket to your hotel. They will accept Pesos or USDollars altho the exchange rate is questionable. Then exit the building and look for someone who will be organizing vans by destinations. The driver will load your bags, but I pay close attention at each stop to ensure my bag does not get off early.

Some will hike out to the front gate at the airport to hail a private taxi, but I always have too much luggage to consider that. For other taxi rides around town, ask for a price before getting in the cab, and be ready to walk away if it sounds too high. Paying in Pesos is always cheapest. I get mine at a BANK OWNED ATM.

Turn right after customs, and then it's actually the last booth on your right.

When I was there in October, I think there were two van services (different than my earlier trips). They were on opposite sides of the hallway at the end just before exiting to the outside. We went to the one on the left/outside wall of the airport.

Either way, they were the only people in the entire hallway that weren’t doing the "hard sell".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom