Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a situation where I booked a trip and realized that my passport only had 3 months left on it. I checked the website for the Mexican consulate in Canada and it specifically stated that the 6 month rule did not apply, just that the passport had to be valid for the time you are in the country. I printed that out and took it with me on case an over-zealous airline employee decided I wasn't allowed to fly, but it wasn't an issue at all. This night have changed but I would make the relevant MX government website my first stop.

If it were me, I'd drop everything else and get going on the passport renewal, today, before you do anything else.
The regulator question poster wasn’t the person with less than 180 days on their passport. Inconsequential, but @Sallygirl should feel okay about prioritizing their regulator purchase if they wish

I had a situation where I booked a trip and realized that my passport only had 3 months left on it. I checked the website for the Mexican consulate in Canada and it specifically stated that the 6 month rule did not apply, just that the passport had to be valid for the time you are in the country. I printed that out and took it with me on case an over-zealous airline employee decided I wasn't allowed to fly, but it wasn't an issue at all. This night have changed but I would make the relevant MX government website my first stop.

Do you have a link for this document?

Nope. Should not be hard to find though, I know it took me about 5 minutes at the time.

Interesting that I can find it for the Mexican consulate in Canada, but a similar statement is not made for the consulate in the US.

Interesting that I can find it for the Mexican consulate in Canada, but a similar statement is not made for the consulate in the US.
The Canadian consulate was the one I used. My primary concern was the airline folks not allowing you to check in. I had heard a story from a friend who wasn't allowed to board, then found out later it wasn't even a MX requirement.

Opinions, please, on diving equipment and covid. I am a vacation diver who does most of my diving in Cozumel. I have always rented equipment due to convenience. Without carrying dive equipment (except mask, fins and wetsuit) I need not check a bag. I am now considering purchasing dive equipment to avoid using a rental equipment, especially a regulator and mouthpiece that is used by many. Thoughts?
I have all my gear except for a BCD & reg. I've been renting these two items for many years for a couple of reasons: (1) the extra weight in luggage, and (2) I don't want the hassle and expense with servicing a regulator. It didn't take me long after first getting certified to realize that I didn't like the rental mouthpiece, both for fit and cleanliness, so I bought a custom fitting mouthpiece. Even though it's my own mouthpiece, it still touches various places on a boat when not in use, so the last thing I do before it goes in my mouth is wipe it down with a bleach wipe. I've done most of my diving in the Caribbean and rental BCDs & regs are pretty reasonable, but I'm venturing to Florida in a couple of months and the rental BCD & reg prices are pretty high,up to $30 to $40 per day. Now I'm looking at purchasing at BCD and renting my regulator locally for $38 per week and taking it with me to Florida. IMO, I think for the foreseeable future, U.S.-based diving will be the best option for dive travel until the pandemic settles down and Florida prices are too high to rent on a consistent basis.

I'm still hanging back on going to Mexico just yet, so I'm living vicariously through the posts here on the boards.

Such a wide open discussion thread.

So what is the Covid situation on the island? Since the U.S.State Department has a travel ban on travel to Mexico, I read in another thread that some travel insurance is not available. I use Travel Safe and it covers Covid ok.

Thank you Don.

Hmmm. It wouldn't let me complete the immigration form because passport expires within 180 days. Oh well.
Mexico is part of the "6 month club". It's a US program but it's reciprocal. Basically as long as you're passport is valid upon entry, it's automatically extended 6 months. You obviously cannot stay past the 6 months. The issue may be getting the airlines to board you as they don't always know these things.

From the Mexican Consult site:
It is recommendable that the passports should have at least 6 months validity before expiration.

https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/detroit/index.php/servicios-para-extranjeros/visas-en-ingles

Six-Month Club Update | U.S. Customs and Border Protection

Mexico International Travel Information

Basically as long as you're passport is valid upon entry, it's automatically extended 6 months.
I find that very difficult to believe.

But what is the Covid-19 situation on the island? The official counts? The talked about but unrecorded cases and deaths?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom