Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello everyone.
So I'm currently sick with Covid (On my way out fingers crossed), and the only thing that's keeping me going is the thought of the dive trip I have planned with the husband in Cozumel in December. We haven't booked anything yet, since we already had our flights canceled in April. I plan on staying and diving with Blue Angel, assuming they will have vacancy.
I am a bit concerned about the situation in Mexico. Lets say we need the hospital for some reason - I am worried that the system is overwhelmed.
Just wanted to hear your point of view,
Cheers.

Hello everyone.
So I'm currently sick with Covid (On my way out fingers crossed), and the only thing that's keeping me going is the thought of the dive trip I have planned with the husband in Cozumel in December. We haven't booked anything yet, since we already had our flights canceled in April. I plan on staying and diving with Blue Angel, assuming they will have vacancy.
I am a bit concerned about the situation in Mexico. Lets say we need the hospital for some reason - I am worried that the system is overwhelmed.
Cheers.
Speaking strictly for myself I wouldn't be that worried about being on Cozumel, but the getting there and back gives me pause. I'm not that worried about being on a plane but airports concern me.

Right now is really not that bad in Cozumel. Covid hospitalizations only around 1/3rd the peak for both Cozumel and Q Roo. I fear Cozumel might get worse following the pattern we have seen in US where as weather gets colder Covid gets worse (temperature maps of the US and Covid maps look pretty similar ). Obviously neither I nor anyone else knows for sure. For Cozumel December would probably be OK (more worried about Jan/Feb). Given most things are refundable or at least changeable, I am certainly not suggesting anyone cancel a trip based on what might or might not happen.

All of that said , if you are showing any signs of post Covid health problems , would recommend you stay wherever you are. Mexican hospitals aren’t bad, but US hospitals are better. Overloaded US hospitals versus less crowded Mexican hospitals is less clear , but still would lean US. Also I would certainly want to have my lungs and heart checked before diving if I had Covid.

upload_2020-11-24_10-2-26.jpeg

Hello everyone.
Cheers.

Buy the Guardian plan from DAN. It will cover non-diving incidents up to $20,000. I spent a three hours in a hospital emergency room on my last visit. They covered the $635 cost in full. Hospitals are excellent. I praised DAN for the recommendation.

Thanks guys, fair points. I'll definitely have my lungs checked if I decided to go.

Where are you flying from?

Buy the Guardian plan from DAN. It will cover non-diving incidents up to $20,000. I spent a three hours in a hospital emergency room on my last visit. They covered the $635 cost in full. Hospitals are excellent. I praised DAN for the recommendation.
Thanks, DAN is a user here?

DAN is the Diver Alert Network, it's a great diving insurance: DAN | Insurance it's comparatively cheap, and they are a great cause.

Interesting... I just compared DAN's plans between NY and GA. GA gets much more preferential treatment than NYC. I wonder why it matters which state you live in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom