Cozumel Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah... You made a good call with 3P's. I've been diving Coz for almost 20 years and we found 3P's 5 years ago when our last dive op changed management and went downhill. 3P's resides among the best of the best not only in Coz but everywhere we have been diving.

As you don't have many dives logged and drift diving is going to be new to you (which is highly enjoyable as ya don't have to fin much and let the current carry you) it can be spooky for some who are new to drift diving. Hiring a private DM for your first day is worth every penny (or $55 or so). That first day when you are there and everyone splashes you're gonna be in unknown waters and that makes anyone spooked a bit. I have 500+ dives logged but whenever I splash in a new place I'm a bit anxious. So, eliminate all that anxiety and hire a private DM for the 1st day. After that day you'll both be totally comfortable. I CAN NOT RECOMMEND THIS HIGHLY ENOUGH FOR NEWER DIVERS WHO ARE DRIFT DIVING FOR THE 1st TIME. Hiring a private DM isn't like paying for training wheels, it's hiring a personal guide that can show you the best of the best while watching out for you and making sure you are totally comfortable. No need to concern yourself with the rest of the group as you are your own group. If you traveled to a new foreign city would you want to rent a car right away and go on your own or would you prefer a chauffeur to show you the town and take you about until you knew your way around and what to expect? Well, Chauffeurs are expensive in most cities but private DM's in Coz are CHEAP and worth every penny for a new diver new to Coz. If I won the lottery I'd dive the world and hire personal DM's everywhere for every dive the rest of my life. Jeannie can hook you up with a great private DM for your first day if you chose to take my advise. Not saying you wouldn't be fine without, just saying it may be far more enjoyable with.

Palancars are my favorite, caves, bricks ,columbia, horseshoe lovem all. Although one of my favorite rides was a swift current starting mid yucab through tormentos, and chakanab surfaced at paradise. Hell of a ride for 65 min or so, with eagle Ray's, reef sharks, nurse sharks, 2 types of turtles and a massive pair of parrot fish chomping coral. Enjoy

Each trip I have a list of favorites and each trip that list changes!

Each trip I have a list of favorites and each trip that list changes!
When I am diving Cozumel what's my favorite dive site is a tossup between the one we just left and the one we are on our way to. It's all good!

Yeah... You made a good call with 3P's. I've been diving Coz for almost 20 years and we found 3P's 5 years ago when our last dive op changed management and went downhill. 3P's resides among the best of the best not only in Coz but everywhere we have been diving.

As you don't have many dives logged and drift diving is going to be new to you (which is highly enjoyable as ya don't have to fin much and let the current carry you) it can be spooky for some who are new to drift diving. Hiring a private DM for your first day is worth every penny (or $55 or so). That first day when you are there and everyone splashes you're gonna be in unknown waters and that makes anyone spooked a bit. I have 500+ dives logged but whenever I splash in a new place I'm a bit anxious. So, eliminate all that anxiety and hire a private DM for the 1st day. After that day you'll both be totally comfortable. I CAN NOT RECOMMEND THIS HIGHLY ENOUGH FOR NEWER DIVERS WHO ARE DRIFT DIVING FOR THE 1st TIME. Hiring a private DM isn't like paying for training wheels, it's hiring a personal guide that can show you the best of the best while watching out for you and making sure you are totally comfortable. No need to concern yourself with the rest of the group as you are your own group. If you traveled to a new foreign city would you want to rent a car right away and go on your own or would you prefer a chauffeur to show you the town and take you about until you knew your way around and what to expect? Well, Chauffeurs are expensive in most cities but private DM's in Coz are CHEAP and worth every penny for a new diver new to Coz. If I won the lottery I'd dive the world and hire personal DM's everywhere for every dive the rest of my life. Jeannie can hook you up with a great private DM for your first day if you chose to take my advise. Not saying you wouldn't be fine without, just saying it may be far more enjoyable with.

That’s a good call. I know it’d put my girlfriend more at ease for the first day at least. I’ll ask Jeanie about that! How’s the rental gear at 3P? I’ll be bringing all of my own equipment but gf will be renting.

Like others have said, first your DM will not take you to advanced sites as long as he knows you are new divers. Your first day of diving with any op will the the DM's chance to evaluate your skills, air consumption, and buoyancy control. The remainder of your days diving will be based on that.

A private divemaster is always an option if you want an extra safety margin.

As far as divesites... especially as a new diver to Cozumel...it doesn't matter. They are all incredible. I could dive Cedral every day and not see the same things twice. Rather than ask for a specific site, tell your DM what you're in the mood for. Deep beautiful swimthroughs, shallow and lots of life, a little more drift, pillars, turtles, etc. Colors will be prettier(and dives longer) above 40 feet.

We make it to Coz 2-3 times a year. Some reefs I can recognize, but I never get bored and I could dive the same reef every day for a week and not have the same dive twice. A slow drift across Cedral with lots of green morays, a nurse shark or two, tons of of cowfish and trunk fish of all sizes, and squeeze over an hour out of your tank (preferably 90 minutes) is about as good of a dive as I can think of. A ripping dive across Barracuda is something to look forwards to once you get some more dives under your belt.

Finally, keep in mind that the entire boat will have the input on where the boat goes. There will be 6-8 divers on the boat and the DM will make the choice based on everyone's thoughts. We sort of have a rule that whoever is diving on their last day gets to pick the reef, but the DM has the ultimate say. For the record, I have never dove with 3P's but have seen their boats on the surface interval at Palancar Beach Club. Every dive op we have ever dove with operates pretty much as described though.

You're going to have a great trip.

Safe travels,
Jay

That’s a good call. I know it’d put my girlfriend more at ease for the first day at least. I’ll ask Jeanie about that! How’s the rental gear at 3P? I’ll be bringing all of my own equipment but gf will be renting.

Both my husband and I have used their rental gear (a few years ago). It was good quality, in good repair. I had one reg that breathed harder than I liked at the end of the dive, but a few other divers tried it, and they all agreed I was crazy...

@sam.gillin there is some really good advise by @deepsea21 listen to it as he is not just a regular in coz but also 3P. Every time we go to coz we hire a private DM for the whole trip even as we near our 100 dives and don't necessarily need 1. If you are lucky (or if you request Jeanie) you might even get Edgar. Don't get me wrong 3P has all A players. But Edgar is just another level. My advise Just hire the private DM for the whole trip and practice your skills with DM's help. It is not that big a cost but you will be a much better diver by the end of it. Please remember while diving with 3P not everyone surfaces together so if you are diving with a private DM whole week you will just be comfortable all week long and will have support throughout. Not to mention you will get spoiled a lot. Talk about being spoiled with VALET diving at its finest. Prepare to be disappointed everywhere else you go from here. Very difficult to match the level of service you will get here at 3P.

P.S don't worry about rental stuff you will be fine. Just make sure to list everything you need before you get there.

Also @deepsea21 didn't tell you yet (probably because he does not like you as much as me yet :):)). But if you are nice to Pony while at 3P and request him you might be treated to a wonderful Tres Leches cake made by his wife for your surface interval on your boat. Deepsea21 was kind enough to share this with us a while back, and now no trip is complete without awesome Tres Leches.

Dang.... I need to go back soon myself

How’s the rental gear at 3P? I’ll be bringing all of my own equipment but gf will be renting.

All of their gear is Scubapro and is in good condition - Shop Manager Pony is a certified Scubapro Tech so it is no surprise.

Time for your GF to get her own gear yet?

Buy scuba gear, scuba diving and snorkeling equipment, and everything underwater from LeisurePro.com

Also, you'd be surprised how much great gear is floating around on Ebay... Some people just have to have the newest (which doesn't make it necessarily the best). Like people who trade in their car every 2 years for a new one after putting only 15-20K miles on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom