Cozumel Diver Dies After 450 Foot Dive (confused initial reporting)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doing a wall dive to 450 ft. on open circuit, I'd say the risk/ benefit ratio was tilted sharply toward risk. I've supported scientist divers diving to 600 feet, and I "get" the thrill and challenge appeal, but damn, it leaves a terrible aftermath for everyone else involved when a dive like this goes pear shaped. Condolences to those who knew him. For anyone else considering dives like this with such a poor risk/ benefit ratio, think of those around you.

Doing a wall dive to 450 ft. on open circuit, I'd say the risk/ benefit ratio was tilted sharply toward risk. I've supported scientist divers diving to 600 feet, and I "get" the thrill and challenge appeal, but damn, it leaves a terrible aftermath for everyone else involved when a dive like this goes pear shaped. Condolences to those who knew him. For anyone else considering dives like this with such a poor risk/ benefit ratio, think of those around you.

I did a dive to 500’ last year. I decided I didn’t like those around me :)

A few weeks prior to this dive David and I discussed his upcoming trip and he told me he was going on a deep dive and described the risks involved so I asked him why do it and his response was the adrenaline and excitement of doing something so dangerous that few people accomplish in their lifetime and how cool it is being down there.
First let me express my sincere condolences to you, his family and friends.

However, let me say that I think diving deep for ".........the adrenaline and excitement of doing something so dangerous ............" is the wrong attitude to be doing such things.

Now, no offense meant, but back when I was instructing folks for such types of diving, if someone had come to me with that reasoning for wanting training I would have refused to train them. No ifs or buts, as I did so on occasion. Sure, they just got the training elsewhere, but at least my name wasn't on their C card when they had an accident or ended up dead, which some did.

I did a dive to 500’ last year. I decided I didn’t like those around me :)
Fully agree there. As a matter of fact I 'disliked' company - and the feeling of responsibility towards others at depth that I didn't even really know well at times - so much that I did almost all my deep / deepish dives solo on both OC and then CCR for the best part of 17 years. Had the same ocean buddie at times, but where he was in that same ocean I couldn't say.

Of course I hear some of you say that's just as bad of an attitude as what I point out further above, but I beg to differ and I sit here 25 years on with several dead close friends, and me still alive typing away. A good dose of 'luck' and self sufficiency is the name of the game at depth after all.

First let me express my sincere condolences to you, his family and friends.

However, let me say that I think diving deep for ".........the adrenaline and excitement of doing something so dangerous ............" is the wrong attitude to be doing such things.

Now, no offense meant, but back when I was instructing folks for such types of diving, if someone had come to me with that reasoning for wanting training I would have refused to train them. No ifs or buts, as I did so on occasion. Sure, they just got the training elsewhere, but at least my name wasn't on their C card when they had an accident or ended up dead, which some did.

Fully agree there. As a matter of fact I 'disliked' company - and the feeling of responsibility towards others at depth that I didn't even really know well at times - so much that I did almost all my deep / deepish dives solo on both OC and then CCR for the best part of 17 years. Had the same ocean buddie at times, but where he was in that same ocean I couldn't say.

Of course I hear some of you say that's just as bad of an attitude as what I point out further above, but I beg to differ and I sit here 25 years on with several dead close friends, and me still alive typing away. A good dose of 'luck' and self sufficiency is the name of the game at depth after all.

The reality of the situation for me was a few fold. 1. I had been certified to 500’ since 1998 and hadn’t been there yet. Close but no cigar.

2. Years ago, shortly after the Optima adopted Shearwater electronics, people kept saying that the “Optima wasn’t a great technical rebreather”. It absolutely was then and certainly is now. So after the debut of the CM I started hearing some of those same people say that it wouldn’t work, wouldn’t breathe well, had a narrow mission parameter, I wanted to prove them all wrong. I was one of the first people to get a CM and one of the first instructors on it. So, I took the 17lb package (fully rigged) and flew to Bonaire with it.

And, it breathes just as well at 500’ as it does at 50.

At any rate, back on topic...
I’ve amassed nearly three decades of diving deep. First as a cave diver, then as a commercial diver, then as a CCR diver. I didn’t go into it lightly and I knew my limitations, I knew all the hazards and was comfortable with my ability to mitigate those hazards.

if you can do that, you’ll be fine, probably.

The reality of the situation for me was a few fold. 1. I had been certified to 500’ since 1998 and hadn’t been there yet. Close but no cigar.

2. Years ago, shortly after the Optima adopted Shearwater electronics, people kept saying that the “Optima wasn’t a great technical rebreather”. It absolutely was then and certainly is now. So after the debut of the CM I started hearing some of those same people say that it wouldn’t work, wouldn’t breathe well, had a narrow mission parameter, I wanted to prove them all wrong. I was one of the first people to get a CM and one of the first instructors on it. So, I took the 17lb package (fully rigged) and flew to Bonaire with it.

And, it breathes just as well at 500’ as it does at 50.

At any rate, back on topic...
I’ve amassed nearly three decades of diving deep. First as a cave diver, then as a commercial diver, then as a CCR diver. I didn’t go into it lightly and I knew my limitations, I knew all the hazards and was comfortable with my ability to mitigate those hazards.

if you can do that, you’ll be fine, probably.

Again, I fully agree with your reasoning behind that dive you describe, as your dive had a - how should I put it - 'realistic' purpose / objective. Which after all, IMO, is a very different approach than the other example with regards the deceased diver of diving deep for ".........the adrenaline and excitement of doing something so dangerous ............".

Unfortunately many folks do not approach deep diving with your attitude. That is "knowing your limitations, and the hazards, and being comfortable with your ability to mitigate those hazards and, if I may add, what the outcome may be / in all likelihood will be, if you do not mitigate those hazards".

Sound like he had medical problem? If yes, it doesn’t matter how deep you are in. You could drown in 10’ of water for that matter.

Sound like he had medical problem? If yes, it doesn’t matter how deep you are in. You could drown in 10’ of water for that matter.

Great point. This is the harsh, yet underappreciated reality of our sport. A medical event that would otherwise be recoverable, becomes not so underwater. But the same thing could be said if it happened when you were driving down the interstate when it hits, or standing on a ladder cleaning out your gutters. Sometimes things happen at the absolute worst possible times. Being underwater is a bad time.

To some extent, I see this as a benefit of cardio conditioning at the gym. Push yourself there rather than on a dive. If you have a heart attack on the treadmill at Planet Fitness, your survival chances are much higher than on even the most benign of dives.

On the other hand, there are also medical events that could kill you regardless. Having a heart attack in the hospital, with the best possible care around you, is sometimes still fatal.

Great point. This is the harsh, yet underappreciated reality of our sport. A medical event that would otherwise be recoverable, becomes not so underwater. But the same thing could be said if it happened when you were driving down the interstate when it hits, or standing on a ladder cleaning out your gutters. Sometimes things happen at the absolute worst possible times. Being underwater is a bad time.

To some extent, I see this as a benefit of cardio conditioning at the gym. Push yourself there rather than on a dive. If you have a heart attack on the treadmill at Planet Fitness, your survival chances are much higher than on even the most benign of dives.

On the other hand, there are also medical events that could kill you regardless. Having a heart attack in the hospital, with the best possible care around you, is sometimes still fatal.

Yes exactly. However, there are factors (both known and totally unknown) that increase the probability of medical emergencies underwater compared to cleaning gutters.

I know nothing beyond rec. limits other than, it can become an "extreme" sport either by plan or unforseen conditions.
I don't jump out of aircraft, but many do.
I think the environment is comparable to scuba.
If the plan is "extreme" or everything goes wrong, both sports, you're dead in short order.
Watch "199 Live's of Travis Pastrana." Then ask him about calculated risk vs reward.
Most of us will never don a wing suit or base jump, but lots do.

Yes exactly. However, there are factors (both known and totally unknown) that increase the probability of medical emergencies underwater compared to cleaning gutters.

Yes, of course. And an increase in depth could increase the likelihood as well. I think these facts reinforce the importance of overall physical fitness in diving. Especially doing so at it's extreme limits. While being physically fit can't help overcome gas density issues at depth for instance, it could give you more confidence that an elevated heart rate for an extended amount of time due to physical exertion isn't likely going to lead to an MI, maybe because you have survived elevating your heart rate 3 times a week at PF for the last few months.

Back
Top Bottom