• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Cozumel Diver Dies After 450 Foot Dive (confused initial reporting)

Discussion in 'Accidents & Incidents' started by DandyDon, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Truthfinder

Truthfinder Registered

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    I get it I totally do and Everything you said is believable hopefully they will address it publicly as I know as a business owner that deals with the general public when an issue arises that concerns our potential customers or current we address it and release a public statement immediately to ensure facts are presented in order to clear up anything that’s not true

BlueTrin likes this.
  2. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    EDIT: AFTER THE THREAD MERGE: I heard from a local that one lost diver was found alive while another did not survive, but news sources are not very reliable, so I asked for additional information here. That thread got renamed and moved to the Cozumel forum, but the information was supplied. Quoting from the other thread Drowned Cozumel tourist recovered by passing dive boat...

So it seems that two accidents with two deaths were confused, and the news article only discussed the swimmer who died.

3. soldsoul4foos

soldsoul4foos ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Do you not need additional support for 450' on a rebreather? Out of curiosity, what would a profile look like?

4. grantctobin

grantctobin ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Anything deeper than 300 or even shallower for extended duration begs for in water support.

5. JoeFriday

JoeFriday Photographer

The other thread indicated current issues. I know nothing about this type of diving and am interested in what special stuff (equipment, procedures, etc) are required to plan for and handle "current issues": up, down, side currents?

Knockneed Man likes this.
  6. Superlyte27

Superlyte27 Cave Instructor

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    That’s not true

Chris12day and wedivebc like this.
  7. wedivebc

wedivebc CCR Instructor Trainer ScubaBoard Supporter

Speaking as one who has done 425ft (450 is a little too deep for me :wink: ) in Cozumel off Deep Exposure's boat I can say safety divers or top side support can be a real challenge. I have never had a safety diver in Cozumel there is just too much current and the intensity and even direction of the current can vary with depth. We can't even employ team bailout strategies because you can not alway be sure your team will be close enough to matter. When the water turns into a washing machine, and it can especially at depth it is truly every man for himself.

8. wedivebc

wedivebc CCR Instructor Trainer ScubaBoard Supporter

I concur

9. flyboy08

flyboy08 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    If your not going to penetrate, why would one dive so deep? Bragging rights?

10. CuzzA

CuzzA Percoidea Wetwork for Hire ScubaBoard Supporter

Do you think all the cool stuff is just in the shallows?

I have not dove this deep, but I've heard the stories. A whole different world of cool stuff deep that doesn’t exist in skinny water.

shoredivr likes this.