Cozumel diving today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fifth day of diving
Rain and dark skies mostly all day
First dive was Villa Blanca wall. Decent visibility. Water was a bit chillier but maybe due to rain and we were already soaked. Calm seas and overall mild current although in places a bit fast at times. Lot's of large green and brown spotted eels and pufferfish. A few lionfish and one very large female lionfish (eggs). Lot's of sponges as usual (Villa Blanca is not one of my favorites).

SI back at the marina. Mosquitoes were thick.

Second dive on the C53 wreck. No current at this site. Visibility not great. Halocline near the surface. There was as large green moray in the sand next to the ship and a large porcupinefish at the stern. We did not penerate much as we went north into the sand flats afterwards to look for batfish, seahorses etc but mostly we saw eels, scorpionfish and garden eels. Submarine came by.
Just as I got on the boat and was gearing down, my inflator hose flange on the bladder broke loose and came out. Flange ring in many pieces. Overall not repairable. So now I have to sort out a new bladder or new gear.

We were swarmed by mosqitoes as we left the marina on the way to the car. We spent several minutes killing as many of them in the car that we could.
The large parking area is fenced off and by report there is a disagreement between the private and public areas/marinas there. Parking spaces are at a premium and I would hope it gets sorted out.

Scorpionfish
Coz Jun 2020 Scorpionfish 001.jpg

Brown spotted eel and friends
Coz Jun 2020 Brown Spotted Eel 004.jpg

Queen Triggerfish
Coz Jun 2020 Queen Triggerfish 001.jpg

Garden eels and this is as close as they would let me get before disappearing. I did not have the time to linger too long.
Coz Jun 2020 Garden Eels 001.jpg

Submarine passing by the C53 wreck
Coz Jun 2020 Submarine 001.jpg

Arrow Crab
Coz Jun 2020 Arrow Crab 001.jpg

Great Barracuda
Coz Jun 2020 Great Barracudat 001.jpg

Greater Soapfish on the C53
Coz Jun 2020 Greater Soapfish 001.jpg

Green Moray Eel
Coz Jun 2020 Green Moray Eel 004.jpg

C53 Wreck

Coz Jun 2020 C53 wreck 001.jpg

Impressive..!

Thnx for sharing

Fifth day of diving
Rain and dark skies mostly all day
First dive was Villa Blanca wall. Decent visibility. Water was a bit chillier but maybe due to rain and we were already soaked. Calm seas and overall mild current although in places a bit fast at times. Lot's of large green and brown spotted eels and pufferfish. A few lionfish and one very large female lionfish (eggs). Lot's of sponges as usual (Villa Blanca is not one of my favorites).

SI back at the marina. Mosquitoes were thick.

Second dive on the C53 wreck. No current at this site. Visibility not great. Halocline near the surface. There was as large green moray in the sand next to the ship and a large porcupinefish at the stern. We did not penerate much as we went north into the sand flats afterwards to look for batfish, seahorses etc but mostly we saw eels, scorpionfish and garden eels. Submarine came by.
Just as I got on the boat and was gearing down, my inflator hose flange on the bladder broke loose and came out. Flange ring in many pieces. Overall not repairable. So now I have to sort out a new bladder or new gear.

We were swarmed by mosqitoes as we left the marina on the way to the car. We spent several minutes killing as many of them in the car that we could.
The large parking area is fenced off and by report there is a disagreement between the private and public areas/marinas there. Parking spaces are at a premium and I would hope it gets sorted out.

Scorpionfish
View attachment 592778

Brown spotted eel and friends
View attachment 592779

Queen Triggerfish
View attachment 592780

Garden eels and this is as close as they would let me get before disappearing. I did not have the time to linger too long.
View attachment 592781

Submarine passing by the C53 wreck
View attachment 592783

Arrow Crab
View attachment 592784

Great Barracuda
View attachment 592785

Greater Soapfish on the C53
View attachment 592786

Green Moray Eel
View attachment 592787

C53 Wreck

View attachment 592788

Very nice and good timing on breaking your gear as it is always better to do it after the dive. You managed to get a lot closer to the garden eel than I usually do! Thanks again for posting.

Beautiful morning this morning. I’m going to do morning shore diving as I have been to Columbia and Santa Rosa 3x this week, so I’m going to do some shallow macro and then sit in the sun in the pool and get drunk listening to country music.

So, tell me more about these mosquitos. Are they mainly concentrated around the water? All the beaches? Everywhere in town? Just trying to prepare myself. I have reef safe sunblock, but is mosquito spray reef safe?

I'm also reading posts on Facebook about people putting a 50/50 mix of water and apple cider vinegar into a spray bottle, then either spraying themselves down with it, or spraying down their patio and screen door with it. Apparently it works pretty well.

So, tell me more about these mosquitos. Are they mainly concentrated around the water? All the beaches? Everywhere in town? Just trying to prepare myself. I have reef safe sunblock, but is mosquito spray reef safe?

I'm also reading posts on Facebook about people putting a 50/50 mix of water and apple cider vinegar into a spray bottle, then either spraying themselves down with it, or spraying down their patio and screen door with it. Apparently it works pretty well.
You want Deep Woods Off. I brought 4 big cans from Sams Club and we are almost out.

You want Deep Woods Off. I brought 4 big cans from Sams Club and we are almost out.

Thanks. I've got some Deep Woods Off, but I just bought this 100% Deet stuff to bring along as well since someone was saying that only high % deet products seem to help.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TV2J5IG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can't stand mosquitos, especially when I'm trying to relax or sleep. I would suck on Naked and Afraid...lol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom