Cozumel Favorites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In no particular order:
Tacos or gringas at El Pique (across from Super Aki on 30th, near the corner of Juarez) I like their pastor better than Otates. Much better.
Huaraches at Chilangos on 30th. Best limonada on the island in my opinion.
Pizza at Los Seras on 30th (corner of 3 or Morelos, can't remember which). Love their pastor pizza and it's even better as lunch the next day. They also have great tacos and tortas. Usually full of locals.
Empanadas at a little place (Juanitas) on calle 5 between 10 and 15. Only open in the mornings, 8-12:30
Burritos Gorditos or King Burrito (on Melgar past Blue Angel)
La Choza for always good food, and their cheese dip. I could eat that with a spoon!
Kondesa for salads. Seriously, their salads are awesome. And their chicken tortilla soup.
Taco Landia, just barely south of Puerta Maya, on the other side of the road. An amazing variety of taco choices, about $1 each taco.

I've been coming to Cozumel since 1990, at least once a year, often 2-3 times a year (during those pre 9/11 days when Charter operators flew from DFW into Coz, and I could often catch a RT flight for $199 or less for a long weekend), and I also consider myself a bit of a foodie. Here are my favorites -

Dinners - High-end places: La Cocay, Kinta, Kondesa
Tourist places: Casa Mission (I love the Gardens and the ambiance); Guido's, Pancho's
Backyard, Rolandi's, Del Sur
Local places: El Moro

Lunches - Loncherias: Used to be Sabores; since Sabores closed, I go to Casa Cuzamil to relive (sort of, and without the back yard vibe); also really like Cha Cha's Kitchen.
Local places: La Perlita on Thursdays for Lionfish; Pescaderia San Carlos on Saturday so I can get the Sopa Mariscos, also the grouper in garlic sauce; Sunday afternoon, El Moro to stuff myself with Cochinita Pibil.
Sentimental favorite: Ernesto's - my Cozumel vacations always start with a lunch of Fajitas and a bucket of beers at Ernestos.

Breakfast - Most days in Coz I will be diving, so breakfast is whatever is available where I am staying. But on the rare non-diving days, I indulge in a large breakfast. While I love the breakfast at the Museo, I admit a guilty pleasure of breakfast at Palmeras, right across from the Ferry Pier. It serves fresh squeezed OJ, good fresh fruit, and a very decent Chilaquiles with Salsa Verde and a fried egg on top. Also love Jeannies Waffle House, and Rock 'N Java.

Ooh, I forgot about Rock N Java. We did not like their sushi, but the noodle/rice bowls were wonderful. And the small one was huge.

We only did breakfast at Casa Mexicana since it was included with our hotel. It was fabulous.

I do like La Candela as well, but I have seen instances where the wait staff tried to stiff a tourist with the wrong bill. I'll eat there, but I'm always careful to note the menu prices, note what I ordered, and CHECK THE BILL.

Last there in 2012, but two favorites are the Tiki Tok for the atmosphere - 2nd floor sandy beach area looking out at ocean; good Mexican food at a reasonable price. It isn't far from the ferry pier.

Ernesto's Fajitas gets a lot of good reviews for fajitas, but my group went in and had breakfast. Good omelets, eggs, and pancakes. It isn't far from the cruise ship piers. Small facility with inside and outside ocean-view (limited by buildings next door) seating

+1 for Cha Cha's. I recommend it to everyone who asks for a good lunch place. And they are perfectly happy if you BYOB. Which my girlfriends and I often do...

And you MUST save room for desert - the cakes at Cha Cha's Kitchen are amazing!

I consider myself relatively familiar with Cozumel and have my own "Favorites" list of places we will go on a regular basis. Id like to hear some others. Not interested in your favorite dive operator (we have a few) in this thread and don't want to start that war. I'm kind of a foodie, and my wife would call me cheap too, but if you have a favorite place to go, id love to know.

Dinner- The Scallops at Guidos. We will hit this twice in a week.
Drinks- The Thirsty Cougar- Carlos makes the best mojito I have ever had. The house band..I think they are called Deja Vu is awesome... and Bohemia Obscura is the best beer ever.
Cheap Lunch- Burrito Gordito
Cheap breakfast- We usually stay at Casa Mexicana so the buffet is included, but there is a bakery next to Burrito Gordito that has great pastries and cookies. I think it is called Zermatt. Both BG and the bakery are super convenient when you dive with Blue MAgic.

Shrimp Tacos- Restaurant around the corner from Casa Mexicana..cant find the name anywhere.

Hotel- We usually stay at Casa Mexicana for around $70 a night, including breakfast. Their buffet is impressive by any standard.

Im looking forward to trying some lobster sandwiches on this trip and maybe some lionfish. Ill search this forum for previous posts but if you have a favorite, please share. Im always looking for something new!!!

24 days and counting. thanks in advance for your response.

Jay

Might that be the Costa Brava around the corner from the Casa Mexicana ?

My current favorite spot is Ohana on 5th Ave between 6th and 8th. Everything I've had there has been amazing, and the Peanut Butter Tequila shots are OFF-THE-CHAIN! Matt and the extended local familia have been super nice to me. Can't wait to get back there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom