Cozumel fish ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ColoDale

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I found this small fish in Cozumel at about 30-40 feet in a sand channel on a reef. It is about 3/8 to 1/2 inch long. I don't think it is an adult and could just be passed larvae stage. The pectoral fins still have a gill appearance. What is it?

Unknown 001 Coz Oct 2018 resize.jpg

Unknown 002 Coz Oct 2018 resize.jpg

Unknown 003 Coz Oct 2018 resize.jpg

I am not thinking blenny since there is no cirri above the eyes. However this may be juvenile or just post larvae so maybe. I am leaning towards a dragonet. The Lancer Dragonet is similiar especially the lips but mine has bands. Again could be juvenile. I am hoping someone recognizes it.

Definitely Dragonet, but think adult not juvenile.

I agree on dragonet but the pectoral fins look like gills turning into fins. I know nada about dragonets so if it's adult and the info I have looked up (Humann and Deloach), show definite fins. Any idea how this can be or maybe the dragonet I have is supposed to have these?

I agree on dragonet but the pectoral fins look like gills turning into fins. I know nada about dragonets so if it's adult and the info I have looked up (Humann and Deloach), show definite fins. Any idea how this can be or maybe the dragonet I have is supposed to have these?
Not sure. but know I have photographed same Dragonet on Grand Cayman.

OK. Thanks. I see the forward dorsal that stands up and the clear fin towards the back and those seem consistent. The lips are unique and consistent. The pectoral fins have me baffled. Unless someone says different I think dragonet.

Definitely Dragonet, but think adult not juvenile.
At 3/4 inch long? That's about half the size of the reported adults.

Back
Top Bottom