Cozumel Hotel Assn- Hotel Info/Pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YellowRoseCozumel

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Everyone~
The following information is from the manager of the Cozumel Hotel Association, including two photos. Keep in mind that not all hotels are part of the Hotel Association. Some of the hotels in the Association have not yet responded such as Melia, Occidental Alegro, Cozumeleno. If you do not see your favorite hotel listed, it does not necessarily mean that it is not open.

It was also announced that the island's new slogan is, "Cozumel, Returning Greater than Ever!"

Best regards and we hope to see you soon!

From the Assoc:
General Information:

The Cozumel Country Club will open 9 holes by December 1st, 2005
The Cozumel Museum will be open on November 14, 2005
Atlantis Submarine will reopen on December 15, 2005
Fiesta Holidays is open for snorkeling tours and car rental.
Several dive shops are open and working
The Cozumel airport is open since last Saturday
There are over 30 excursions available since last Monday
Electricity and water are back in 90% of the island
95% of the restaurants will be open on November 14, 2005
The first cruise will arrive on November 14, 2005
95% of shops will be open on November 14, 2005

Hotels and opening dates (or "open" status):
Casa del Mar
Dic. 15

Casa Mexicana
Open

Coral Princess
Jan. 15

Cozumel Palace
Pending

Cozumel Resort
Open

Days Inn
Open

El Cozumeleño
Pending

El Cid la Ceiba
Nov. 15

Fiesta Americana
Open

Hda. San Miguel
Pending

Iberostar
Dic. 15

Melia Cozumel
Pending

Occidental Allegro
Pending

Occidental Grand
Dec. 24

Park Royal
July, 2006

Playa Azul
Dic. 15

Presidente
Oct-06

Reef Club
Dic. 23

Sol cabañas
Pending

Villablanca
Open

Vista del Mar
Open

Presidente Oct-06

WOW!!!! They really must have taken some incredible damage, or they are taking the opportunity for a major renovation! I am leaning towards the latter.....I bet that place will be N I C E after they get done! :11:

Brules:
WOW!!!! They really must have taken some incredible damage, or they are taking the opportunity for a major renovation! I am leaning towards the latter.....I bet that place will be N I C E after they get done! :11:

That has to be a typo, don't you think?

Well I thought it might be, but then based on the damage at the caletta and the areas right around the presidente......it doesn't seemed so far fetched. From all the pics I have seen, it looks like that general area really took a pounding wave wise.....

If you figure in rebuilding and renovations, and to be up to snuff to the Presidente standards.....it sounds like they are being realists. Plus with all the new hotels that are pretty swanky (Palace), I imagine they might take this opportunity to make the place the best hotel on the island again.

All conjecture on my part.....but if *I* owned the place, it is what I would do. Close the place, collect insurance $, rebuild and do major renovation at the same time during what is most likely going to be a bad season regardless. Makes business sense to me.

Anyone else?

Wow... that's an awesome before and after pic.

I wonder what the Sol Cabanas is looking like

Brules:
Well I thought it might be, but then based on the damage at the caletta and the areas right around the presidente......it doesn't seemed so far fetched. From all the pics I have seen, it looks like that general area really took a pounding wave wise.....

well, i still hope it's a mistake. their website says "until further notice". the pics i have seen show the caletta in bad shape but the hotel in the background looks fine. the roof seems completely intact. of course, that is just one part of the presidente and it is the one farthest from the water. maybe a little wishful thinking on my part but hope does not hurt.

Oct 2006 for reopening of the Presidente is indeed correct by all accounts in Cozumel including the diver operator concessionaire for the hotel. Damage was considerable. From the back side, one is able to see through virtually all the rooms to the front of the big building in the center.

It'll probably be the only true 5-star resort here once it is finished and beautiful.
Best regards!

Gordon,

I called on 11-12-05 and spoke with someone AT THE HOTEL. I could hear the construction going on in the background. She said that the target is next May 31, 06. I asked her if she thought that was realistic and she was reluctant to answer. After hearing what the damage was and the plans for the NEW Presidente, I'm thinking August 1, 06 might be more realistic. The hotel did take an awful pounding. Most but not all of the rooms on the ground floors were essentially washed through by wave action and had their windows blown out. The El Caribeno restaurant was under water and had extensive damage to the bar and flooring. The Italian restaurant inside with the huge picture windows was completely trashed. And, the beach was mostly washed away.

I was told that the rebuild will be extensive and that they now intend to do things to the hotel that they could not do before the storm. They are looking at this as an opportunity to make it even better than before. I plan on being one of the first back when it re-opens.

Back
Top Bottom