Cozumel March-April Trip 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yarik83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As promised long ago I am finally done with my cozumel trip videos. Some thoughts and reflections:

With a heavy heart I am officially retiring my Bonica HDDV camera. My beloved camera served me well all these years but it is time for a change. My gopro cameras outperformed it on every level by a mile. To make things worse my camera did not flood but fogged up between lens and glass on the lens and messed up my auto/white balance... permanently. 80% of my bonica footage on my trip is useless as it was fogged up entire time. I did a surgery on my camera to discover what caused it. Right now it is sitting in a rice bowl in a zip bag but either way camera is being retired.

Gopro footage barely received any color correction except for a couple of places. Even with all its faults I found that polar pro filters work wonders. Granted I could have tweaked my footage to make it a little less yellow... but after spending hours and hours and weeks and weeks I really ran out of motivation. I felt that I would not be doing it justice by messing with it more. I previewed every clip on my apple tv on my 50 inch plasma tv and it looks spectacular.

One of my polar pro filter broke on 2nd dive of the trip. I have been promised a replacement but its been well over a month now with no news. I fixed the broken tab using JB-weld and an old credit card. I am so impressed with the filters I will be purchasing polarized filters from them.

There were issues with gopro on my dives. At 90ft deep I saw back door very visibly pressing up against battery back pack. One of cameras stopped recording a few times so I had to keep an eye on that.

Camera positions: Bonica in middle of 2 hander tray. Gopro #1 facing forward on left fork. Gopro #2 facing backward on right fork. I was able to capture some really cool angles because wall was on my right hand side. Now with bonica being retired I am thinking of moving one gopro to middle of the tray in its place.

There are 24 videos total. I compiled them into a playlist so feel free to come back a few times and watch videos you do like.

90% of the video footage came from gopros. 10% (visibly fogged up) came from bonica.... what I could salvage.

Videos feature popular deep and shallow reefs along cozumel.
Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTIyopOxu-PjLF6g7YvTxy-OJXMZ79SkX

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom