Cozumel Palace and Cozumel beaches?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carlos Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any help would be appreciated. I have only been to the island twice, both via cruise ship, and I only dove then hit up C&Cs while I was there. I love the island, and I am trying to organize a trip there to an AI in May. I would be the only diver in the group, so obviously I need a way to trick, err, I mean convince :eyebrow: my friends to go with me. I am hearing amazing things about the Palace, but they dont have a ``beach.'' I know the beaches are mostly on the Atlantic side of the island. Are they difficult to get to? I doubt we could care if its a short bus trip to one. Also, are there any beaches closer to the Palace?

Any input on both the beaches and the Cozumel Palace would be excellent. From what I have back logged on the site, people on here seem to really like the Palace, but info on beaches on the island is very hard to come by.

Any help would be appreciated. I have only been to the island twice, both via cruise ship, and I only dove then hit up C&Cs while I was there. I love the island, and I am trying to organize a trip there to an AI in May. I would be the only diver in the group, so obviously I need a way to trick, err, I mean convince :eyebrow: my friends to go with me. I am hearing amazing things about the Palace, but they dont have a ``beach.'' I know the beaches are mostly on the Atlantic side of the island. Are they difficult to get to? I doubt we could care if its a short bus trip to one. Also, are there any beaches closer to the Palace?

Any input on both the beaches and the Cozumel Palace would be excellent. From what I have back logged on the site, people on here seem to really like the Palace, but info on beaches on the island is very hard to come by.

There are beaches over on the "wild side" of the island, as you say, and also on the south end of the island. They are about the same distance from the Palace - 10 to 12 miles. Taxis to them are easily arranged.

It's been a while since I've been there, but I'm pretty sure there is still a small beach area just south of Blue Angel and the Stingray prison. My husband used to ride his bicycle there and hang out there while I was diving. It would be about a 10 minute or so walk from the Palace.

What do you mean by "wild side"? The wife and I will be there in April. Are you just referring to the diving conditions on the Atlantic side? Hoping for some crazy night club.

LOL, nope. Wild side would be like saying a nun who wears brown shoes instead of black shoes under her habit is a wild nun.

Wild side is simply the windward side of the island, its way less developed and I mean way less... like deserted... because it's the windy side, the surf and chop are typical of any windward side of an island. San Miguel and all the diving and resorts are on the leeward side or protected side of the island. Going to a beach on the 'wild' side will mean you're probably the only person there. There are a couple of beach bars on that side, a small hotel and that's about it. There is a beautiful beach on the protected side of the island at the southern end, but you will have to pay to get in. No crazy night clubs in Cozumel, that's over in Cancun or Playa Del Carmen which is a short ferry ride away.

The best beaches are on the southwest side of the island. I wouldn't normally recommend staying at one of the AIs down there, because they are so far from town and the great dining. But if that's very important to the rest of your group and a deal breaker, you might consider it. Allegro and Occidental Grand have big white sand, clean, easy entry beaches.

The other plus is that you will have a short boat rides to the south sides. But you will also have a smaller selection of second dives.

PH

The Palace is a great option. They do have a nice man made beach and easy access to the water. I think most people think they will miss a beach but once you are there we have never felt that way. The food is great, service is beyond excellent, and the location is great; especially if you are traveling with nondivers; easy walk to town. I could go on and on about the Palace but I won't. PM me is you have any specific questions; we stay there every trip to Coz (2-3 times a yr).

Some will steer you away from AI but just remember that you can still venture out and eat at local places etc even if you are staying at an AI. We get out all the time and never feel tied to the hotel just because it's AI. I know some who stay at AI never leave the hotel, that is just crazy not to venture out. The island is a wonderful place, I can't imagine not getting out and enjoying everything the island has to offer.

Depending on who you dive with they may pick you up at the Palace.

If the group has to have a real beach there are tour options included with your Palace stay that will take them to Chankanaab. Also, it's an easy taxi ride or car rental to head over the wild side and stop at different quiet beach areas. There is a beach club trip included with your stay but I wouldn't recommend it. Lot's of cruise ship guests and the lounge chairs are lined up side by side, row after row. We went once so our daughter could play on the water toys, we could not get out of there fast enough. If you want a beach club there are many other options that you would enjoy better.

As I said I could go on and on. We will be there in 15 days, I can hardly contain my excitement, focusing on work is getting more and more difficult!

If the group has to have a real beach there are tour options included with your Palace stay that will take them to Chankanaab.
There are wide expanses of sand at Chankanaab, but it's not really a beach, as the sand does not reach the water. The shoreline is pitted rock with stairways down to the water.

Thanks for the input guys. I look forward to reading your trip review atatt. Have a great week!

The beach isnt a big deal to me. I just want to look at the ocean everyday. Driving to the sand isnt a big deal, I hope :).

Back
Top Bottom