Cozumel shortage of Lionfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are of course being facetious; I get it, but lionfish are an invasive species in the Caribbean while turtles are indigenous.

FWIW, when I first started going to Cozumel, turtle was on the menu in many restaurants. It was muy delicioso.

Dave was talking about Lionfish in the Indo-Pacific. Follow the thread...

You need to talk to a local that hunts non-local Pez Leon... Sallye comes to mind. DM's Liang, Dario, Jorge Dzul... Plus any of the DM's that hunt should know where to find them. Look outside the park. North, Rasta's, Islote, Aldora Special Ops sites... Ask a native who sees the reefs everyday where to find the non-native fish.
Happy hunting!

Just got unpacked and settled. No shortage of Lionfish on our dives I am afraid. Saw three large ones on the first dive of the trip and the was about par the course for the rest of the dive week.

In Grenada, there are guys that go out on their rebreathers and hunt the deep. Unfortunately, they are always successful but they do what they can.

That place is disgusting. Visitors are told that they release “thousands” of turtles annually. Real number is about 75. The rest are turned into soup. Deceptive rotten “tourist trap”. One of the worst things about GC.

That place is disgusting. Visitors are told that they release “thousands” of turtles annually. Real number is about 75. The rest are turned into soup. Deceptive rotten “tourist trap”. One of the worst things about GC.
That may well be true. At least they are not taken from the wild.

Back
Top Bottom