Cozumel shortage of Lionfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That may well be true. At least they are not taken from the wild.

I agree. But...when you visit, they pretend to be something that they are not. They’re turtle farmers - not turtle conservators.

In Grenada, there are guys that go out on their rebreathers and hunt the deep. Unfortunately, they are always successful but they do what they can.

It's like trying to totally get rid of fire ants. It ain't gonna happen. Fortunately, these pests are delicious. And, no, I have not tried a fire ant. That ain't gonna happen, either.

That place is disgusting. Visitors are told that they release “thousands” of turtles annually. Real number is about 75. The rest are turned into soup. Deceptive rotten “tourist trap”. One of the worst things about GC.

What else is bad about GC?

This looks interesting:

Meet the robot submarine that acts as a lionfish predator http://flip.it/qNnhj0

Elegant solution! It could impact Lionfish populations significantly. Divers are making inroads on controlling the species. But they need help. And that robot consumes very little while it does the job tirelessly. Bravo!

This looks interesting:

Meet the robot submarine that acts as a lionfish predator http://flip.it/qNnhj0

What else is bad about GC?

I once met a rude ant named Charles at 7MB. He did not respond when I greeted him. Those damn GC ants. I hate that about GC. How about you?

We're still finding them in large numbers outside marine park up north. This was with @Pelagicsal last month in early May. I haven't done any hunting on the East side lately but surprisingly I did not do very well there compared to say a random sample of sites in the North. A lot of these actually weren't very deep either.

59087165_10101029275101799_980167367227080704_o.jpg

59384282_10101029275206589_2307290529156562944_o.jpg

59415094_10101029275121759_3608357331387023360_o.jpg

59592696_10101029280900179_7312978391844519936_o.jpg

Now thats what Im talkin about!

To elaborate more, they are there if you know where to look but their numbers / population have diminished compared to say 3-5 years ago which is a good thing. I remember being able to fill multiple 5 gallon buckets or zookeepers easily. I don't even bother carrying a zookeeper anymore (not worth the extra drag if you're only going to spear ~5-8 lionfish).

Most of the ones I see inside the marine park now are in Maracaibo, Punta Sur and are often deeper than 130ft. Most of the ones in the post above were well past Barracuda outside the marine park or in debris/rubble fields 40-60ft of water downtown.

The ones inside the marine park where you can't hunt have gotten "smarter", gone deeper and know where to hide. The ones outside the marine park where they have not been "speared and scared" let you get very close and it's like shooting fish in a barrel. Obviously this is a huge generalization but it's just an observation I've noticed.

I'm wondering if we are now going to start seeing the lionfish population slowly move back up the wall inside the marine park.

I'm dying to see what underneath the ferry pier looks like. I bet it's very dense.

Back
Top Bottom