Cozumel Trip Report (Blue Angel) -- 5/23 - 5/28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ligersandtions

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Three years and 300+ dives ago, my husband and I got certified in Cozumel. I didn’t remember much about the diving (we were kind of in survival mode :wink:) but it started the obsession. So when one of his cousins was getting married in Playa del Carmen, we jumped at the opportunity to take a long dive vacation. The first week would be spent diving Cozumel and the second week would be mostly topside stuff on the main land.

After reading through the Cozumel subforum on SB, talking with friends who had dived Cozumel in the recent past, and contacting a number of dive ops, we chose to dive with Blue Angel. They provided us with lockers to store our gear, unlimited cylinders for shore diving, small boats with a great captain and a nice group of divers with whom to spend our mornings, and (most importantly for us – because we were being lazy) cylinders with DIN valves! Of course, it would have been nice to have slightly larger capacity steel cylinders rather than Al80’s, but it wasn’t really that big a deal. My only complaint about BA was that it was incredibly difficult to get an afternoon/evening charter run (we only managed a single night dive from a boat but had really hoped for two two-tank charters per day).

We hit pretty much every site I had wanted to dive (I think my favorite day was when we dived Columbia Deep first immediately followed by 80 minutes of Columbia Shallow to off-gas) and saw pretty much everything I had wanted to see. I really wanted to see a Cozumel Splendid Toadfish and we saw quite a few (including one completely out of his hole on a night dive); also wanted to see eels (we met a real feisty one that was not thrilled with having his picture taken and tried to attack the camera....which my husband readily handed over and backed away from so as to not become a victim himself!), turtles, sharks, groupers, scrawled filefish, and a Flamingo Tongue (I’m kind of a slug nut!) and definitely checked those off the list! And as much as I hate to admit it, I had really wanted to see a lionfish because I think they are really extraordinary looking fish (though I am also happy to say we only saw a couple on each dive at most).

Being a relatively experienced Southern California diver, I had expected the diving in Cozumel to be simple and relaxing, but I was surprised at how challenging the diving actually was. I’m not used to good vis and tons of ambient light and was thus disappointed in my 21W HID’s ability to signal my buddy. I’m also used to surge….the “current” is supposed to push you five feet in one direction and then five feet back to where you started, not just keep going in one direction forever! So the first few drift dives felt a bit out of control, but you definitely learn quickly how to duck behind structure and shield yourself from current if you want to stop for a moment. Also, since my husband was shooting pictures, we’d often want to hold position in a location where there was no protection from the current….which meant finning against it, and of course, going through gas a bit quicker than we wanted.

My absolute favorite thing about this trip was diving a drysuit in 82F water! I’m one of those people who get very cold in wetsuits (I dived a 7mm in Hawaii in 80F water and found that I often didn’t enjoy my dives because I was so cold). Plus, I just like the way a drysuit dives over a wetsuit. We got some very odd looks, lots of questions, and even some very funny comments (my favorite was when we had just come back in from diving and a guy at the resort said to us, “You’re diving drysuits in Cozumel? You know it’s like 80 degrees out there…” and I had to remind him that we had just come back from diving so we were quite aware of the water temperature!). The only time the drysuits were ever uncomfortable was when putting our gear together on the boat before leaving the dock – once we were moving or in the water, we were perfectly comfortable. Plus, we were usually the only ones not shivering on the way back in after diving :D

Just a side note for my local buddies: while I did enjoy 84F water with 100 feet of vis, cold water and low vis is where my heart is – really glad to be back into local diving!

Hubby took a lot of pictures over the course of the trip. Here are a few of our favorites:

NKP_0180.jpg

NKP_0366.jpg

NKP_0297.jpg

NKP_0056.jpg

NKP_0028.jpg

NKP_0022.jpg

NKP_0265.jpg

Glad you had a good trip. I'm surprised at this excerpt tho...
My only complaint about BA was that it was incredibly difficult to get an afternoon/evening charter run (we only managed a single night dive from a boat but had really hoped for two two-tank charters per day).
I think they require 4 divers to send out a boat, so with 2 of you, I'm surprised that they couldn't often come up with 2 more. How many afternoon trips did you get?

Nice report! Great pics. I think you should make your Scuba Board status "slug nut".

Where did you stay?

I think they require 4 divers to send out a boat, so with 2 of you, I'm surprised that they couldn't often come up with 2 more. How many afternoon trips did you get?

You know, the lady I corresponded with the whole time before the trip (for about six months) told us we only needed three paid spots. At that price, we had planned to pay for the third spot if we couldn't find a third to join us. When we were there, however, we were informed that they required four paid spots....at that price point, it was not reasonable for us to pay for the extra two spots.

Every day, they were advertising night dives to let people know there were two interested and we needed two more. Only one time did we actually find two other people interested in night diving....and even then, we were disappointed because we wanted to do an afternoon and night dive, but they only wanted the night dive....so we settled for a single night dive off the boat over the course of the week.

Nice report! Great pics. I think you should make your Scuba Board status "slug nut".

Where did you stay?

Hah, maybe I will change my status :D

We stayed at one of the downtown hotels, Hotel Flamingo. We were very happy with our choice as we didn't want a big AI resort, it was inexpensive and nice, and it put us near lots of good food. And even though I'd read the warnings to not get a scooter, both my husband and I ride, so we decided to get one....and it worked out very well for us. I wouldn't recommend scooters for people who have no riding experience, but it was a non-issue for us and saved us a bit in cab fees :wink:

Nice photos, thanks for the trip report. When we stay and dive at the BA one of the first things I do is let the dive shop know if anyone is ever interested in a 2-tank twilight/night dive just let me know. Of course it only happened once in 10 days.
But there is always the shore dives, which I did almost every late afternoon and a few nights.

Great report and very nice photos! So glad you had a wonderful trip. Yes, a shame that more people didn't want to do afternoon/evening dives (I just don't get that!), but sounds like the morning jaunts were all worthwhile. Jen and I would love to hit Coz at some point relatively soon. I've only ever done a couple of drift dives, and only one in decent current. :)

Oh, you didn't stay at the BA. If you had, hanging out with the others, it may have been easier to find other divers. So many like to dive mornings and leave the rest of the day for other interests tho, and lining up the boat, skipper, and DM takes time even after commitment from divers.

Agreeing on 3 paid spots in advanced then changing to 4 on arrival was wrong. :mad: Come back to Coz sometime. We can suggest Ops who will take you out for twilight & night dives.

Nice photos, thanks for the trip report. When we stay and dive at the BA one of the first things I do is let the dive shop know if anyone is ever interested in a 2-tank twilight/night dive just let me know. Of course it only happened once in 10 days.
But there is always the shore dives, which I did almost every late afternoon and a few nights.

We did a few shore dives from BA at night (three, if I remember correctly). The hardest thing about that was that we finished the morning charter around noon....and it wasn't getting dark till after 7pm. Seven hours is a lot of time to get unmotivated and/or drunk :wink:

Great report and very nice photos! So glad you had a wonderful trip. Yes, a shame that more people didn't want to do afternoon/evening dives (I just don't get that!), but sounds like the morning jaunts were all worthwhile. Jen and I would love to hit Coz at some point relatively soon. I've only ever done a couple of drift dives, and only one in decent current. :)

Well, if you ever go....we'd have four people and would be able to book our own night charters :wink:

Honestly, at times, the current was unnerving. I felt like I wasn't quite in control. I think it would have been different if we had just drifted, instead of stopped and tried to look at things....but then you'd miss all the neat critters. You definitely learn to "hide" from the current quickly!

Agreeing on 3 paid spots in advanced then changing to 4 on arrival was wrong. :mad: Come back to Coz sometime. We can suggest Ops who will take you out for twilight & night dives.

Yeah, the changing the agreed upon number of paid spots really irritated me.

If we ever make our way back, I'll hit you up for some of those dive ops who will take us out for twilight/night dives :D

Thanks to everyone for reading my trip report and for the nice comments about the pictures (btw, that was really my husband's first time with the camera and strobes....I think he did a really great job :D).

Nice report and great pictures. I agree with your favorite sites since Columbia Shallows lends itself for lots of critter finding.

Great report, and awesome photos! Thanks Nicole - now I'm whipped into even more of a frenzy for my upcoming trip. We leave next Thursday. Can we leave yet??? :D

Back
Top Bottom