Trip Report Cozumel Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ross9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all - I recently spent a few days diving in Cozumel as part of a bigger backpacking trip in Central America.

My trip report is here. More reports to come later on our other dive spots in Central America!

Let me know if you have any thoughts, feedback or questions.

Cheers
Ross

I read your report, very nice writeup.
Looks like you dove alot of my favorite reef sites.

Santa Rosa Wall
Tormentos
Paso del Cedral
Yucab
Palancar Bricks
Punta Tunich

I, too, first dived in Cozumel as part of a backpacking trip around Central America (though it was not my first stop but rather my last bit of diving before slowly making my way northward back home to the US). I did it in the early 2000s, before there was such a thing as a blog. The internet existed, but you had to find an "internet cafe" to get connected. I had a Rough Guide to Mexico book that I had bought in Belize, but it didn't really help me much for Cozumel. I knew just about zero when I got off the ferry. I walked around, found a place to stay, then found a place to take me diving for the next few days. It's nice nowadays to have blogs and such to give travel tips, but just winging it, not knowing what the next stop was going to be like, was kinda fun.

I, too, first dived in Cozumel as part of a backpacking trip around Central America (though it was not my first stop but rather my last bit of diving before slowly making my way northward back home to the US). I did it in the early 2000s, before there was such a thing as a blog. The internet existed, but you had to find an "internet cafe" to get connected. I had a Rough Guide to Mexico book that I had bought in Belize, but it didn't really help me much for Cozumel. I knew just about zero when I got off the ferry. I walked around, found a place to stay, then found a place to take me diving for the next few days. It's nice nowadays to have blogs and such to give travel tips, but just winging it, not knowing what the next stop was going to be like, was kinda fun.
I did this trip in reverse, Lorenzoid. I picked up an Aussie hitchhiking on the transversal in Cozumel. I gave him a ride and listened to his story of backpacking around the world for two years. His next stop was Belize, and since I had planned to go there for the weekend anyway, I offered to take him with me. In Belize, I got my hands on a copy of The South American Handbook, an incredibly detailed book geared to backpackers, printed on Bible paper and around 1000 pages. It was amazingly accurate. That was 1979. I think they stopped printing yearly editions when the internet came to be. Anyway, I kept going one more day, then another, then another, until we finally reached the end of the road at the Darien Gap in Panama. Turned around and came back home to Cozumel. Fun trip and the The South American Handbook made it easy to find places to stay for under 5 dollars a night if you brought your own padlock for the room’s door!

good report, and nice clip video

Very nice trip report & video. Glad you enjoyed Cozumel. You can understand why many of us go there again & again & again. Thanks for sharing.

very professional post. thank you for sharing! Enjoyed the 2 minutes of video underwater too! Continued safe journey on your trip....you sure started in an epic place! ENJOY LIFE!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom