Cracked tooth/infection should I be worried?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrsmeaux

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am new to diving and found out recently that I need to have a tooth extracted. I will be heading to Cozumel in a week. My intention is to have it extracted when I return in 2 weeks. I am concerned about tooth squeeze or other issues that may arise while diving. Any insight or recommendations are welcome.

I had a cracked tooth and it was supposed to be extracted for an implant just before I went to Palau... Dr made the decision that it would be best to just dive on it. I only had slight pain when chewing under pressure. On the trip, I had no pain and dove without incident. However, you may want to get a prescription for pain just in case, depending on how the crack of your tooth is and if you feel any pain now or expect it to get worse.

Talking to your dentist is better than getting info from me... Or SB.

+1 about talking to your dentist, and make sure he/she understands the pressure changes you are going to be experiencing while diving. Also, if you have an infection or abscess in addition to the cracked tooth, that may open another whole can of worms for you. Also, check DAN's website for diving with dental issues.

If it is abscessed, get it treated. It can lead to septicemia or cellulitis. We aren't Nostradamus, capable of predicting when a tooth will blow up and become a serious health issue. Chances are it won't, but...

Cracked teeth, that are vital,usually won't cause any problems except pain on chewing.

Pain never killed anyone, but infections have. Go to your Dentist and get his/her opinion. That's the one that counts.

Good luck

Been to the dentist. Dentists aren't divers. Looking for diver experiences to supplement the dentist that prescribes pain meds and antibiotics.

The antibiotics will help with any infection and if it gets so awful you need pain meds, the diving will be over anyway. If worse comes to worse, there are dentists in Cozumel. You'd save a ton of money having it pulled there!

I'm sorry...I don't mean to sound uncaring at all. In reality, I have been through dental issues like this on more than a few occasions and everything went OK. I was in a serious head-on collision and suffered a broken jaw and had a few teeth unwillingly removed. Over the years I've had to endure the effects of cracked roots and teeth. Had to have a couple removed and implants put in, and of course it always seems to happen right before a dive trip. My dentist prescribed antibiotics and pain meds just in case, but everything was fine...except my bank account :eek:

Thanks y'all. Doesn't hurt to bite down on reg. Starting a second round of antibiotics.

Don't bite down on your reg mouthpiece anyway. That's not necessary to keep it in place and only serves to cause various issues including templar mandibular joint pain and damage to your mouthpiece.

Thank you all for your input. I was afraid to have it pulled before I went diving. I am trying to get in to see the oral surgeon before I go and get another round of antibiotics to take to Cozumel. I heard that diving after an extraction can be painful. I don't want to take any chances with my health and I want to have a good dive experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom