Crappie, Rock Bass, or Other?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda:
grab one of these fish the next time I see it and count the holes in my hand
HHhhaarrr!
It is becomming increasingly apparent that we need to go back for a better look!
Let's add the project to the agenda for the Vortex Oktoberfest weekend the 15th-16th!
Rick :)

Well, to save Yoda some holes in his hand I just happen to have a picture of the same fish or one in his immediate family with all his fins extended.

The black crappie would generally have seven spines on the dorsal fin and a long forked caudal with rounded lobes.

The rock bass on the other hand would have eleven spines on the dorsal fin with a broad indented caudal.

Looks like a rock bass to me but to be safe I would call it some sort of sunfish.

Tom Smedley:
Well, to save Yoda some holes in his hand I just happen to have a picture of the same fish or one in his immediate family with all his fins extended.

The black crappie would generally have seven spines on the dorsal fin and a long forked caudal with rounded lobes.

The rock bass on the other hand would have eleven spines on the dorsal fin with a broad indented caudal.

Looks like a rock bass to me but to be safe I would call it some sort of sunfish.

A perfect Ambloplites rupestris (Rock Bass) specimen.

All the pictures were from springs here in Florida.

The ones that look more like rock bass (#1 & #12) were below 40' in and around caverns at Morrison. The last picture in #12 at least has some red around the eye.

#19 top was at 30' in an open basin surrounded by rocks at Cypress - he was a lot smaller than the others. I think he's a crappie.

#19 bottom was at 20' open water above the cavern at Vortex. His size was between the other two. He looks like a crappie to me.

Well, I have been gotten various state citation trophy fish certificates for catcing that very fish on rod and reel and they say "Rock Bass". So let's not rock the boat. i am out of whiteout.

james croft:
Well, I have been gotten various state citation trophy fish certificates for catcing that very fish on rod and reel and they say "Rock Bass". So let's not rock the boat. i am out of whiteout.
Which picture did your's look like?

Bob3:
Beer Batter Crappie, Rock Bass, or Whatever~

6 cans of beer
l-l/2 cups flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 large egg
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon crushed fennel seed
1/4 teaspoon pepper or Cajun spice
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
3 to 4 pounds fish fillets
l-l/2 teaspoons salt
Oil for frying, preferably canola

Combine 1 can of beer, flour, cornstarch, egg, baking powder, pepper or Cajun spice, paprika, and garlic in bowl and whisk lightly until smooth.

Reserve remaining beer for the Cook to consume.

Heat 2-3 inches cooking oil in large skillet to 375-400 degrees.

Pat fillets dry with paper towel; lightly sprinkle with salt and coat with batter.

Fry fish on one side for 3-4 minutes; then turn to fry other side an additional 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. DO NOT OVERCOOK! Drain on paper towel.

Note: It is NECESSARY to add either the paprika or cajun spice, as this will impart the golden color without overcooking the fish!

Other hints: Keep both the batter & the fish as cool as possible. If the batter doesn't stick, the fish was probably too wet or the batter too thin. (a light dusting of flour on the fillets will help).

Pancho,

A very practical solution to the mysterious fish identification. Mmm, mm.

Best Regards,

Dave

SeaYoda:
Which picture did your's look like?
SeaYoda- The picture you posted is a rock bass. I am not a biologist but a guy who has numerous trophy fish citations for this fish. Just ask me about the one that got away! All the other pics I have seen appear to be crappie. The rock bass is a hell of a good fighting panfish on ultra-light tackle but I have never eaten one as I catch and release these little bulldogs. They pull 2X as hard as a bluegill. The eyes have a reddish color. The mouth is more similar to a bass. The crappie has a more translucent mouth. I will eat the crappie as they need to be culled and are magically delicious.

WVDiver:
It is so hard to tell anything from a picture, even the best pictures that I have seen in ichthyology books and dichotomous keys can be misinterpreted at times due to the above mentioned variablity factors. This is why the key is more important than the picture in a dichotomous key, otherwise we would just use the pictures for identification and not worry about other characteristics.
I agree, up until I found a 1971 publication from Texas Parks & Wildlife (bulletin 5-A). It's a true colour fish ID guide, done by a biological illustrator (Nancy McGowan) whom I can only view as a genius. External dimensions and minute anatomical details are as accurate as if you had the type-specimen in your hand. After I found this and checked it against some keys, I put the keys back on the shelf. It really is that good. Variability in coloration is well described in the lower margin, or even with supplemental illustrations. Man, nobody does supplemental illustrations anymore.

I assume you are refering to post #1. Again color is not a good indicator in all instances and seldom used as a defining characteristc in any of the genera we are discussing here. The picture may not show good color depending on depth, light, refraction, appature settings etc. As for the number of anal fin spines.......I can't count them, they are laid back. How many do you count? I will venture to say it is not Lepomis macrochirus as it does not have a posterior dorsal fin spot which is a defining characteristic of macrochirus. Again I guess Ambloplites.
Nah, all of the comments here were from post #19, in this case, what you and I are calling the bluegill. Although I'm glad to have someone with better experience support that ID. Bluegill suck.

I want to get a rock bass for one of my teaching aquaria. Anybody know if they'll eat fish flakes?

archman:
I agree, up until I found a 1971 publication from Texas Parks & Wildlife (bulletin 5-A). It's a true colour fish ID guide, done by a biological illustrator (Nancy McGowan) whom I can only view as a genius. External dimensions and minute anatomical details are as accurate as if you had the type-specimen in your hand. After I found this and checked it against some keys, I put the keys back on the shelf. It really is that good. Variability in coloration is well described in the lower margin, or even with supplemental illustrations. Man, nobody does supplemental illustrations anymore.

I'm sure it is a good tool but remember that in the lab when fish have been fixed (preserved in alcohol or formalyn) prior to id all color is gone and a good key is still your best friend.

Fishes of Virginia by Jenkins is a good key but the pics. are drawn, which also has its advantages. Fishes of West Virginia by Stauffer is not really very good but on the up side my old boss and one of his colleaques is currently working on a new version of the Fishes of West Virginia and it will be an awesome publication complete with an atlas. His id skills are nothing short of amazing. People from all over the area come to him for answers. I was fortunate to have worked with him for about 4 years. In the past couple of years my diving has been primarily responsible for allowing me to expand my biological knowledge to include mussels. Now I am primarily a freshwater mussel biologist which is very rewarding as I get to do a lot of diving.

archman:
I want to get a rock bass for one of my teaching aquaria. Anybody know if they'll eat fish flakes?

They will eat flakes but they probably won't thrive on them. Throw in night crawlers, grubs, grasshoppers, mealworms, bloodworms, crayfish, guppies and other small fish if the rock bass is large enough and they will do fine. I would refrain from seining minnows for food just because they are such filthy little buggers and the tank will always need cleaning if you use them. Rock Bass are dirty enough by themselves.

Good luck with your studies.

Back
Top Bottom