Crash dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps you are correct. But with the greatest of respect you do not own the courts.

Maybe...but I did go to law school and I am a licensed insurance adjuster (you know, the guy who decides what an insurance company is going to pay prior to a judgement). I'm pretty sure I have a good idea of how the court system works here in Florida. But, try again. Lol

I think you are probably 100% correct. My point is part of the function of the court is punitive, to punish bad behaviour, while another part is corrective. If a litigant is thumbing his nose at the court with an I am indemnified you can't touch me attitude you may find a judge with an attitude who makes a project out of correcting the matter. One example I have seen of this type of thing was a clown who was running a "booze can" an after-hours unlicenced bar where you can pay ridiculous prices to drink all night. He is bringing in a couple of grand a night and first time he is busted he gets a small couple of hundred dollar fine which he thinks is a joke. The second time he is arrested it is five-hundred. The third time he gets a thousand and the judge asks him if he needs time to pay? He responds no and that he can pay it in cash that day. Judge asks what about $5,000? He again responds that he does not need time to pay and that he can pay the fine that day. Judge says fine, let's make it $10,000.00. Lucky he did not have the cash on him cause the judge was on a roll.

There is a very fine line between overly enthusiastic perhaps, aggressive driving and reckless diving that should not be crossed.

As I understand the story, Peter Sotis was not injured, but hypoxic, which he had recovered from. And the Rob-student had finished the class. But still it must have led to a conversation with his subsequent-weekend-student, “I just dove with someone who died while diving with me, so do you still want to keep our appointment to dive, or would you like to postpone or cancel our dive lesson?” And the next weekend’s Student still wanted to dive with Peter Sotis, and I admit I’d like to know what THAT guy was thinking.

I'm sure his brain cells would beg to differ about whether going hypoxic to the point of passing out is an injury or not....

@rjack321 there is so much conflicting testimony it's not even funny unfortunately. Knowing what I know though, there was definitely $ moving to get him to go out for that dive. He didn't volunteer to go be a safety diver

One of the reasons why it is kind of pointless arguing the matter here is because you are not on the jury or the judge. If your on this site you have an advanced understanding of diving physiology and technology that they will not have. At the end of the day it serves little if people are scratching there heads saying, it was kind of a mystery why the judge found him guilty or innocent? It is the job of the lawyers through evidence to educate the court on the matter. In court, the evidence of people like coroners carries more weight that yours like it of not. That is why medical experts are commonly called.

There is one thing that many of you can do that is worth considering. There are so many people on this site who are great photographers. or shooting great video. Put your own, "This is What Diving is all About to Me, video together. There has to be balance, if the public perception of diving, through media presentations, projects a message that diving is all about a pointless quest to extreme depths, it will not matter what happened on the dive, In court, you will be found guilty of being a diver, a risk taker, reckless, and deserving of your fate.

Put your own, "This is What Diving is all About to Me, video together.

Try Youtube - there are lots of videos out there. Not sure of your point but the videos exist. :)

I find if I am interested in a subject I look it up - if I don't care about rock climbing I don't even click on the videos I go straight to the ones I like. But there are videos of rock climbers and I dont think more or less of them... I just dont care to spend my time on those videos... So not sure why someone creating a video is going to change perception... To change you must be ready for that change... my 2 cents

Put your own, "This is What Diving is all About to Me, video together.
This would make a great thread, in which each poster shows a video of what scuba Diving means to them. Since you, Scott, are also a long term diver, do you have video to post with a voiceover explaining your take?

One thing to remember is that no one wants to watch a rerun. There is a constant market for new material. As for my own efforts, I am currently involved it three film making projects. We shot the trailer for (project working title) The Search for North America's Oldest Shipwreck, this summer. My interest in diving is it's application in underwater archaeology. This year we had very exciting research dive to see if my mask will still seal over the beard and can I still fit into my suit. It was a light 11 dive summer for me but I am still living the dream. I am just living it a little slower.

@Scott McWilliam luckily you are talking to a sales and marketing mba, so I can tell you that elderliness of a shipwreck is not actually a draw. The oldest shipwrecks were Native Nation’s so why not call it Something reflecting the Tribes, and the mystical associations with them? John Q Public generally likes archeology a lot more if Treasure or armaments are found so any beads or axe heads will go farther than canoe ribs. I say put the “spicy artifacts” front and center of your story. If you can get one oral history story of love lost to the waves, and reunited in the Aurora Borealis, you would add romance to the story of these ancient shipwrecks, which would add entertainment to education.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom