Crazy - 1080p cam + 180' housing for $270?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks pretty cool... so small it might be interesting to mount on top of a goodman handled light, with some sort of a diffuser over the beam.

-Erik

Sounds like to something for Christmas... but I want it NOW!

When can we order? :)

You can pre-order here, I found...

Helmet Camera Central

They are supposed to get the first batch on 10/18, I think it said.

I've decided to return the Flip (only had it a few days thankfully) and get this thing. I hope the case is actually usable for scuba, and they aren't playing some numbers game where a 180' rating actually means something much less!

Note that the 180' housing is also in the motorsports & helmet packages. The surf package is the cheapest way to get in, but if the surfboard mounting hardware is useless for scuba (which I suspect) it may be a better idea to get a different package. The car package comes with several adhesive mounts for the quick-release fixture on the housing... don't know if the adhesive on them will hold up under water but they look like a good starting point for tinkering.

I just had a little chat with customer service. Good news, scuba ability is verified. And he cleared up a question on accessories.

Please wait. A helmet cam customer service guru will be with you shortly.
Erik says:
Hello Matt. My name is Erik how can I help you?
Matt says:
Hi Eric. I have a question about the HD Hero.
Erik says:
surely
Matt says:
There is some incomplete or confusing info in the product pages and before I order anything I hope you can clarify it for me.
Matt says:
All 3 packages (car, helmet, surf) mention having the waterproof housing good to 180 ft.
Erik says:
yes the housing is the same
Matt says:
But the bike handlebar accessory says it only works with the car or helmet housings.
Matt says:
GoPro Ride HERO Expansion Kit - Helmet Camera Central
Matt says:
Does it actually work with all 3?
Erik says:
Yes that was from before the surf hero, the housing is exactly the same
Matt says:
Ah ha.
Matt says:
Thank you very much for the help. Now I can figure out what I need.
Matt says:
By the way... Have you heard of these being used for scuba?
Erik says:
No Problem!
Erik says:
absolutely
Matt says:
The housing depth rating is easily enough--but as you know sometimes those numbers aren't quite right. :)
Erik says:
yeah for sure, it will be fine
Matt says:
Excellent. Thanks! That's all I needed to know.​

I've tried to get in touch with these guys over the last day, but have had no luck reaching them through their main or customer support lines. Huh...

Anyways, if I got this camera, I would be looking at either the wrist strap option, or just threading some line through the mounting point of the underwater housing to a bolt snap, which I can attach to my gauge bungees (which is what I do currently for my Sony). That would let it dangle free while I'm swimming, but be in easy reach whenever I wanted to film.

My biggest concern is how you'd know what you were shooting without the optional LCD back.

Also, since GoPro seems to be quite open about providing specs, I've gleened from the materials the following low-light comparison against the Flip Ultra:

Pixel size: 2.2um for both
Low light: >1.4 lux-sec for both
Bitrate: 7.5Mbps in 720p for the HD Hero, 9Mbps (adaptive) in 720p for the Flip

This suggests we'll see similar low light performance between these two cameras (and from other identical specs, suggests that they may share innards of identical origin), which in my book is a big plus over what I currently have.

Now if only I can get in touch with them to ask some questions...

Edit: Matt, looks like we were posting at the same time. Strange, I've been calling all morning and getting nothing but a call-tree runaround. Glad you were able to talk to somebody.

Try the Live Chat button. I may have lucked out though...

Ah, sounds like you talked to someone at helmetcamcentral (a shop that carries the camera). I'm trying to talk to the manufacturer (GoPro).

Gotcha, I misunderstood.

I buckled and ordered the moto package plus the bike mount.

I am still not sure where to put it on my scuba rig.

Part of what put me over the edge was looking at the accessories in the PDF. You can get adhesive mounts, replacement lenses for the housing, and other doo-dads for not too much dough. It looks like a good system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom