Crazy - 1080p cam + 180' housing for $270?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anybody know if there's going to be a factory solution in the near future? I know earlier in the thread some people mentioned GoPro was working on a factory solution but haven't heard anything new----I would think if the aftermarket can respond so quickly, GoPro should be able to get something out soon too.

Personally I'm very interested and holding out for now to see if there's anything official. I just hate the idea of buying the camera and than having to spend more for an aftermarket part to fix a problem which could be easily fixed from the factory.

Generally I woudl agree but the Eye of Mine solution is 70 or 80 bucks... not exactly huge dollar figures... plus Russel seems like a decent guy (and patient, since he answered all of my asinine questions :) )
I have mine in hand and am going diving in a couple weeks... if you don;t have any trips planned... wait, but keep in mind that Go pro promised
1. wrist mount in the spring - still not delivered
2. firmware update May 17 - still not delivered
3. screen and extended battery in Summer so we will see when that happens!

This was the latest answer I got from the company:

Sent: Thu 5/27/10 11:31 AM
Update for Case #49845 - "Underwater focus"

Hello Bill,

Our developers are working hard to design an acceptable solution to this problem. We should be able to release a solution this summer.

Many Thanks,

This was the latest answer I got from the company:

Will be believe it when I see it... I just got a pistol grip and a soft goodman handle and will be working up a couple of carry options today...

edit... here are pics of what I have done... The tape is 3M VHB and based on this less the awesome video I should be fine http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9019497174118474733#

but I am going to go to Lowes and pick up some spare tape... quick question... the tape is hanging over a little bit... any thoughts on trimming so it is flush or just leaving it as is?

I also need to pick up another clip so I can add a clip to the bottom of the pistol grip and one on the soft mount so I can clip the camera off if I want. I also have a pocket built into my wetsuit so I may play with sticking it in there, because it is that small! In case anyone is wondering the exterior measurements on the modified case are only a few mm more than the original.

Attachments

• IMAG0002.jpg
    IMAG0002.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 119
  • IMAG0003.jpg
    IMAG0003.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 129
  • IMAG0004.jpg
    IMAG0004.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMAG0005.jpg
    IMAG0005.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Looks good!

I also used the 3M tape to stick the GoPro to my Ikelite housing, and I don't think it's coming off easily. Wouldn't want to try knocking it off with a bowling ball, though. :wink:

Sorry, not sure about trimming it. But I'd probably try to cut it with a razor or small scissors. If you leave it sticking out, it's likely to start picking up gunk or dust.

The Eye of Mine housing modification looks good too. I was wondering if I should make my port a circle or leave it square -- but having the acrylic factory cut circles was more expensive so I went the cheap route.

Looking forward to hearing how you get along with it. I shot at 1080p30 when diving last time, but may try 720p60 next.

Hi,

I have a problem, I need to add a URPro Filter because the color are too blue... So what's the best solution can I have ?

http://www.facebook.com/v/399034888198

Here is a raw clip** from a couple of days ago in poor visibility (about 10 to 15 ft.) and lower light. It was a couple of hours before sunset, sky conditions were overcast. The GoPro HD does a lot better than the WIDE in low light. I was fee diving the Miracle of Life a few hours after it was sunk in brown water late in the day and 120 ft., the video from the WIDE was barely useable.

Unfortunately, most of my stuff online in lower light is from the older WIDE camera. Again the HD seems to do better in lower light. Here is another clip starting before sunset and continuing through it with both fairly fast subject and camera motion. btw, healed to where the braces aren't needed anymore. They're a bit distracting in the video.

http://vimeo.com/7200311

** The clip deals with a quick dive a couple of days ago to checkout the Bladefish 5000 dive scooter. Dave, a large fellow using a 130 cft. tank was using it primarily. I was using an Apollo Evolution scooter and free diving. The Apollo was set for medium speed to improve the battery life with the Bladefish running at max speed for most of the time. It weights about 1/4 the weight of the Apollo and less than 30% of the price.

Go pro at the Seatiger 90'
Just bought a gropro and the eyofmine housing, Russel is a good guy and was pretty stoked to see some real underwater footage.

as far as the housing Its great well made. With a little bit of vignetting on the edges at 720.
we took it down to 112' with no problems.

as far as the gopro. Its size and image quality are superb when compared to its price. Although it does have some issues with low light, and with sun balls. or high/low contrast areas.

Pretty awesome! And I can't imagine free diving down to the Sea Tiger. That's pretty amazing too.

Been quite happy with the GoPro HD. Low light performance is so-so, but then again it's a small sensor camera. I also get sun balls and totally blown out highlights with my DIY mod to the housing.

I dove Shark's Cove on Oahu with the GoPro on June 14. Hopefully I'll get to edit some of the footage together and post it shortly.

I've been using the SD GoPro for a while windsurfing. Takes OK U/W photos in shallow depths, deeper it washes out pretty quickly.

Video works great for U/W Hockey though! Search you tube for: "U/W Hockey Practice 3MAR2010" (can't post links yet :idk:)

Back
Top Bottom