Crazy travel story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ukmc

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
I just watched a video by @Xterra diving cenote. It gave me a flashback of a my own travel experience, I am not sure I would duplicate nowadays. I suppose many of you have had similar or even crazier stories, I would love to read about :)
Anyhow, about 30 years ago my buddies and I rented a house in Playa del Carmen to go hang out for a week. We were 18 at a time and couldn’t afford a resort in Cancun. :wink: While eating lunch from a street vendor in town (never got sick either, good to be young) we met a local who promised us an adventure diving a cenote. He said it was an uncharted cenote and promised an amazing experience. Of course it sounded fantastic. I don’t remember how much we paid him, but it could have not been a lot since we were pretty poor at a time. He picked up two of us in his pickup truck, we drove for about an hour (I remember driving south a bit and then straight into a jungle). We pulled up to an uncharted cenote after driving at least a half an hour into a jungle and free dove from one cenote into others through underwater channels with stalactites and stalagmites coming of from bottom and top. Mask and snorkel only. It was incredible, kind of like @Xterra ’s recently posted video. We saw translucent fish, which the guy said was blind because it never see the light ( I have no idea now what fish it was) :) We came out from underwater tunnel into one different cenote that did not have above ground access but we saw sun rays peaking through a ground hole above us (somewhere in the jungle) . It was incredible! I wish I owned a waterproof camera at that time. :wink: When we came out, the local guy’s wife fixed us guacamole and salsa (ground it with a stone). Tasted amazing.
We got back to our place by the end of the day safe and totally stoked and now I have this amazing experience to reminisce about. In retrospect, therecould have been more than one thing that could have gone wrong :)

I just watched a video by @Xterra diving cenote. It gave me a flashback of a my own travel experience, I am not sure I would duplicate nowadays. I suppose many of you have had similar or even crazier stories, I would love to read about :)
Anyhow, about 30 years ago my buddies and I rented a house in Playa del Carmen to go hang out for a week. We were 18 at a time and couldn’t afford a resort in Cancun. :wink: While eating lunch from a street vendor in town (never got sick either, good to be young) we met a local who promised us an adventure diving a cenote. He said it was an uncharted cenote and promised an amazing experience. Of course it sounded fantastic. I don’t remember how much we paid him, but it could have not been a lot since we were pretty poor at a time. He picked up two of us in his pickup truck, we drove for about an hour (I remember driving south a bit and then straight into a jungle). We pulled up to an uncharted cenote after driving at least a half an hour into a jungle and free dove from one cenote into others through underwater channels with stalactites and stalagmites coming of from bottom and top. Mask and snorkel only. It was incredible, kind of like @Xterra ’s recently posted video. We saw translucent fish, which the guy said was blind because it never see the light ( I have no idea now what fish it was) :) We came out from underwater tunnel into one different cenote that did not have above ground access but we saw sun rays peaking through a ground hole above us (somewhere in the jungle) . It was incredible! I wish I owned a waterproof camera at that time. :wink: When we came out, the local guy’s wife fixed us guacamole and salsa (ground it with a stone). Tasted amazing.
We got back to our place by the end of the day safe and totally stoked and now I have this amazing experience to reminisce about. In retrospect, therecould have been more than one thing that could have gone wrong :)
Priceless

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom