Creaking joints and other parts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tedtim

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK,

Over the past few weeks those nagging joint pains have started to get a bit worse. I think that it must have something to do with all of the shovelling of snow recently (that is my story and I am sticking with it).

I could understand it if it was just one of my knees. I badly injured my right knee back in '79 and have had surgery five times to make repairs, or otherwise fix what I should not have been doing with it. Too stupid or stubborn to stop.

Now, both knees are aching. I had to put ice packs on them both earlier this week. It feels like arthritis is starting to set in.

For those of you who have already gone through this, what are you doing to ease the pain? I tried different shoes, othopedic inserts, continued exercise (although not as much as I should), and OTC remedies.

I am hoping to catch this early enough to at least delay the depth of the onset.

I find that about 5 to 7 miles of walking everyday helps relieve some of the soreness and stiffness. Also swimming seems to help reduce the level of soreness. There are times when a good dose of Ibuprofen takes the edge off enough to tolerate. Sometimes I get more relief with a heating pad wrapped around the knee joints. Being underwater, hovering, is about the only time I don't feel really sore. At that time I actually feel good.

I don't have the level of outright pain I used to have some years ago but I don't push myself as hard anymore. Several injuries between the age of 14 and 15 did in my knees and my back. I have had pain ever since then and to some degree I feel I have just gotten used to it.

Now we know why old men are so grumpy! Honestly, my wife just had one hip replaced. She uses alot less motrin now than before. She is putting the second hip off for another year or so. I can't take motrin, so I am not sure what I'll do if my joints go bad.

Have you seen an orthopedist or rheumatologist? At least they can discuss the current therapies available?

Joint pain is not a matter of if for me; but how bad. I’m in constant pain so I’ve looked at a number of things. I’ll love to hear of other ideas here.

First off I find alternative ways to do what gives me the most problems. For example shoveling snow is simple – snow blower. Shoveling snow is good exercise and a snow blower is not only expensive but maybe overkill for your frequency of need. But could also be of value by delaying getting to where I am for quite a while.
I’ve had 5 knee surgeries too and I’m guessing that’s a knee ripe for osteoarthritis and abusing it further is just speeding up the process. Listen to yourself; ‘too stubborn to stop’ (is that my voice echoing from 10 years ago?) Look for other things that put stress on that damaged joint and find another way. (My personal least favorites are carrying less weight and taking steps one at a time with a load.)

I’ve found just losing a few pounds of excess weight makes a marked difference in knee pain.

Tylenol does a pretty good job and it’s nice to lose the stomach problems I have with all anti-inflammatory meds. Also unlike anti-inflammatory meds, Tylenol doesn’t have to keep the blood titer constant for most value. Or when I’m heading out to do something hard on my knee (my cutting down banana trees yesterday is your snow shoveling) I load up on Tylenol before heading out.

Something I’m finding helpful sure seems like hogwash, Phiten. You can find it on e-bay too. The tape I use on my knee all the time. I can’t say it is a miracle. If I can barely walk in the morning and put on the tape, I’m just limping in an hour so all I can say is it works. Same with their bracelet for my problem thumbs, it's nice to close my hand and hold a pen.:D

How I do Tape on the knee: Cut a piece long enough to cover the front from behind knee crease from side to side. Peel carefully, it curls. With knee at right angle, stretch tape slightly and apply to the space between Patella and Tibia. Carefully and smoothly it will last me for 3 to 4 days before the edges begin peeling. Showering is not a problem but slacks might be (I wear pants probably once a year.) :)

Another is MSM, oral more improvement than lotion, I usually take one at night. But the lotions and creams are great for morning stiffness. If my back is really sore I stick on the small Salonpas patches and soon good to go.
DMSO, (yeah, I’m into homeopathic.) DMSO is something you need to learn about before using and is controversial. I’m too chicken to take internally.
Also use Arnica, Boswellin and Astaxanthin.

Re: Astaxanthin: I am employed by Cyanotech Corporation, Nutrex Hawaii (that’s the Farm) is a wholly owned and operated subsidiary, and believe in this stuff but I’m not alone. Listen to Annabelle, World Record Free Diver.
We’ve got a book on what we call Ax (as well as Spirulina) but I’m not seeing it online. I ship, not sell and I send out plenty free to new customers. If you’re interested PM me and I’ll see what I can do.

So, the bottom line for me is I use a variety of options, not all at the same time and found some work better for one thing and less for another.

OK,

Over the past few weeks those nagging joint pains have started to get a bit worse. I think that it must have something to do with all of the shovelling of snow recently (that is my story and I am sticking with it).

I could understand it if it was just one of my knees. I badly injured my right knee back in '79 and have had surgery five times to make repairs, or otherwise fix what I should not have been doing with it. Too stupid or stubborn to stop.

Now, both knees are aching. I had to put ice packs on them both earlier this week. It feels like arthritis is starting to set in.

For those of you who have already gone through this, what are you doing to ease the pain? I tried different shoes, othopedic inserts, continued exercise (although not as much as I should), and OTC remedies.

I am hoping to catch this early enough to at least delay the depth of the onset.
You might want to talk to your doctor and find out if it is arthritis. What you should do is HIGHLY dependent on if it is arthritis or not. I've had arthritis since I was 12. There is not a lot you can do to stop it but you can slow it down. The oils from fish helps (tuna, salmon, cod, etc.). I eat a lot of sashimi but if you are not into the raw fish you can take supplements. The deep sea fish, e.g. Tuna, have the best properties.

Bottom line, if you have arthritis you can slow it down but because there is currently no way to stimulate the regeneration of cartilage there is no way to reverse it. Most doctors will help you with pain management. Some homeopathic doctors will recommend things like fish oils or glucosamine.

Hopefully it is just muscle ache (which I'm starting to suffer from as well). As you get older you cannot just 'turn it on'. You have to warm up the muscles. If you were a car, in your 20s you were a drag racer. You could go from zero to 100 in seconds. Now, you're my Honda Civic with 400,000 kms on it. If I don't drive it every day, it refuses to start without a lot of effort.

I'm with RedRover -- It's not a question of if, but just how much.

I find that number one is staying mobile. Anything that rests for very long gets stiff and painful. Pushing through severe pain is a bad idea, though -- Pain is a signal of damage.

Icing sore joints has helped me, when I've overdone. I did a rafting tour through the Grand Canyon a few years back that involved hiking anywhere from 3 to 9 miles a day, starting with a couple thousand feet straight up, and ending with the same straight down. The downhill part was murder on the knees, and I found that wading out into the 41 degree water for a half hour or so really helped.

I take chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine because there is some force plate work with horses that showed significant improvement. I figure horses and force plates aren't susceptible to much observer bias, so I take the stuff, but I can't say I'm convinced it makes a difference. (Nor does the human literature support that for the most part.)

I like antiinflammatories. Yes, they can play havoc with the gastric mucosa and with the kidneys. But they're good pain relievers, and good antiinflammatories, which is more important, because what you want is to prevent further damage. Although the antiinflammatory doses are generally the higher end of the range, I've found that breaking my ibuprofen up into smaller doses and taking it more frequently gives me much better relief. (Those with histories of ulcers and bleeding, or those with any kidney problems, need to coordinate any antiinflammatory use carefully with their doctor.)

Weight loss, for those who are carrying a few more pounds than they need, can do a great deal of good for relieving stress on aging joints.

I haven't yet reached the point of considering joint injections, but there are some non-steroid therapies now that give some people a great deal of relief.

The key is to temporize as long as possible, because joint replacements, although they're extremely good, have a life expectancy. So it's best to put them off as long as possible.

I take chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine
I have to take daily doses or I start feeling generally achy. I like to lift weights a bit, and that along with general work around the house leaves me with such an overall aura of joint pain that I'd be pounding anti-inflammation's all day. Only takes a couple days not taking the stuff to feel the ache creeping in.

I dunno if what I feel is arthritis or just 60 y/o aches and pains, but the G & C really does take the edge off, and is not damaging to your system as the painkillers are. Give it a shot, you might be surprised.

I take chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine because there is some force plate work with horses that showed significant improvement. I figure horses and force plates aren't susceptible to much observer bias, so I take the stuff, but I can't say I'm convinced it makes a difference. (Nor does the human literature support that for the most part.)....

Weight loss, for those who are carrying a few more pounds than they need, can do a great deal of good for relieving stress on aging joints.....

The key is to temporize as long as possible, because joint replacements, although they're extremely good, have a life expectancy. So it's best to put them off as long as possible.
Glucosamine! Holy smokes. That is the stuff we give to our little Yorkie because she displaced a knee. I will have to ask my doctor about that.

Weight loss. Yep, but it is sure harder than it sounds. I find that losing those five pounds gained over Xmas is a lot harder now than a few years ago and I believe I am as active as I was before.

I remember the last time I had surgery on my knee. The recovery was more difficult. Surgery is definitely the last resort for me.

Thanks for all of your input folks.

Back
Top Bottom