Credentials to become a DAN Doctor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

K

KeithG

Just wondered if anyone knew what it takes to become a "DAN Doctor"?

My google-foo is poor and I was unable to find the appropriate information on DANs website.

How do doctors get on DANs recommended list? What qualifications are required?

My curiosity was sparked by a local experience with a DAN doctor. The doctor in question runs a hyperbaric chamber outfit, but demonstrated minimal diving knowledge. My assumption is the doctor is a hyperbaric treatment expert.

Please tell me that DANs list is not like Wine Spectator Restaurant Awards Wine Spectator Restaurant Awards or PADI 5 Star dive shops...

Just wondered if anyone knew what it takes to become a "DAN Doctor"?

My google-foo is poor and I was unable to find the appropriate information on DANs website.

How do doctors get on DANs recommended list? What qualifications are required?

My curiosity was sparked by a local experience with a DAN doctor. The doctor in question runs a hyperbaric chamber outfit, but demonstrated minimal diving knowledge. My assumption is the doctor is a hyperbaric treatment expert.

Please tell me that DANs list is not like Wine Spectator Restaurant Awards Wine Spectator Restaurant Awards or PADI 5 Star dive shops...

I am convinced we do not have any real diving doctors here in Canada. I hope someone can prove me wrong. I mean real diving doctors, not hyperbaric doctors.

I am convinced we do not have any real diving doctors here in Canada. I hope someone can prove me wrong. I mean real diving doctors, not hyperbaric doctors.
Based upon multiple contributors here I claim there are some excellent diving doctors out there. But how to find them?

But based upon my extremely small sample set of 1 DAN referral, I have little faith that the "DAN Doctor" labels means anything more than a Wine Spectator Award (which is bought with $250US, no questions asked).

We do in Calgary, 2 that I can think of right off the top of my head.

We do in Calgary, 2 that I can think of right off the top of my head.

Really? I’ve asked around but wasn’t able to find one who is a diving doctor. Lots of hyperbaric doctors. I wouldn’t mind getting a dive-specific check-up. And I’d like to discuss some concerns.

Really? I’ve asked around but wasn’t able to find one who is a diving doctor. Lots of hyperbaric doctors. I wouldn’t mind getting a dive-specific check-up. And I’d like to discuss some concerns.

Have you asked around at any of the local dive ops?

Who are the doctors in Calgary. I have a buddy who is going to need one. Thanks

Dr. Pivnick
and now that you've asked, can't remember the female doctor's name. Catherine something, I think.

It's likely that neither one will be taking new patients but Pivnick would always see someone new to him, if it was diving related.

I can get the female doctor's name, if it's really urgent

That’s an interesting question. As a physician myself, I dive with many other doctors, and snow of quite a few just in my town, so yes of course there are plenty out there. However it sounds like you’re looking for more than just a physician who dives and rather a dive medicine physician. Although I have taken many courses from the wilderness medical society in Conjunction with their fellowship, I certainly don’t consider myself a diving medicine physician. Please keep us informed on what you find out especially from DAN.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom