Credentials to become a DAN Doctor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am convinced we do not have any real diving doctors here in Canada. I hope someone can prove me wrong. I mean real diving doctors, not hyperbaric doctors.

@giffenk and @Dogbowl : I just spoke with one of our former hyperbaric fellows, Dr. Peter Zeindler, who now is a family practitioner up in Sundridge. He recommended Dr. Wayne Evans at the Toronto General hyperbaric medicine unit.

Best regards,
DDM

@giffenk and @Dogbowl : I just spoke with one of our former hyperbaric fellows, Dr. Peter Zeindler, who now is a family practitioner up in Sundridge. He recommended Dr. Wayne Evans at the Toronto General hyperbaric medicine unit.

Best regards,
DDM

Thank you DDM! I will try to get a referral to Dr. Evans.

Happy to help!

On a separate post, there is a discussion concerning the need for a medical clearance to dive in some countries, particularly if one is over 40.

How does a person get that done, particularly if living in the Great White North? I'm struggling to find a doctor within 7 hours drive that knows anything about diving.

The issue is also compounded by the Canadian health care system that requires referrals to doctors. One can't just phone up to make an appointment.

Well, sometimes you can. If the doctor is not part of the public system, as more and more aren't these days, you can sometimes call their office and make an appointment yourself. I used one such physician for years when I required a physical to renew my pilot's license. As to diving, I found an excellent dive doctor here in Montreal who IS part of the public system, so to get to her, I simply told my GP that I wanted a referral to this specific doctor. Judging by all the dive-related certificates on her office wall, and the photos of her in dive gear on her desk, I'd be willing to bet she knows dive medicine.

Well, sometimes you can. If the doctor is not part of the public system, as more and more aren't these days, you can sometimes call their office and make an appointment yourself. I used one such physician for years when I required a physical to renew my pilot's license. As to diving, I found an excellent dive doctor here in Montreal who IS part of the public system, so to get to her, I simply told my GP that I wanted a referral to this specific doctor. Judging by all the dive-related certificates on her office wall, and the photos of her in dive gear on her desk, I'd be willing to bet she knows dive medicine.

Is that a Quebec thing? AFAIK, all doctors in Ontario are a part of the public system, or am I misinformed? Healthcare is provincially regulated so there might be differences between provinces.

Is that a Quebec thing? AFAIK, all doctors in Ontario are a part of the public system, or am I misinformed? Healthcare is provincially regulated so there might be differences between provinces.

No idea about Ontario, but here in Quebec there are numerous doctors, and even entire medical clinics, where you can go and get service almost immediately. All privately owned and run. Not just doctors but also a full range of testing up to CT and MRI. All you need is good insurance or a big fat credit card, as you have to pay for the benefit of very short waits outside of the public system.

Back
Top Bottom