Creepy things found diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RICHinNC:
Can you clean out the inside of a drysuit?

Dang, Rich . . . I sure hope you don't need any dental work done!!!! :D

the K

Diving just the other day off the local Salt Dock looking for a friends lost ring when we came upon the pelvis and leg bones of a large dog, nearby was a cement block with a bit of rope trailing to the bones.

After just about getting run over by an impatient fishing person (yes daylight and large dive flag in tow) A local diver saw us come up and told us the story of this guy who had drowned his german shepard off the dock about ten years ago (sad) Also made a few coments about the guy in the boat............

I found a human femur last year 100 yard off the back of the Chester Poling off Gloucester. I left it where it was among the rocks, the capt and my buddies said I should have brought it back topside. I though you should let the dead rest in peace. Unless your searching for a d/b.
Where are the Jersey divers? I expected a few mob bodies found. Sid

I think you should have brought it back. It may have belonged to someone who is missing, and could have helped out a family.

mtsidford:
I found a human femur last year 100 yard off the back of the Chester Poling off Gloucester. I left it where it was among the rocks, the capt and my buddies said I should have brought it back topside. I though you should let the dead rest in peace. Unless your searching for a d/b.
Where are the Jersey divers? I expected a few mob bodies found. Sid

Strangest thing I've found thus far were some marbels... Granted I've only had 8 dives total so far, I left them at the bottom of the quarry, hoping that a kid might find them. I'm guessing that since this is a "divers quarry" that somone's youngling must have gone down to the dock and started tossing them in :)

The posts above raise some good questions though... I have yet to see any sort of "published" guidlines on recovery of objects. My understanding thus far is...

If it's on a wreck, leave it be, especially if your looking at say a 200 year old wreck, but if your looking at a quartz watch on top of a 200 year old wreck, that's fair game...

Personally I hope I never find dead bodies/bones, BUT IF myself or any other divers run across those things, what should you do?

ReefGuy:
I think you should have brought it back. It may have belonged to someone who is missing, and could have helped out a family.
I think I'd have shot a marker bag and called the police after the dive. Everything remains undisturbed that way and the exact spot can be easily found again.

Joe

I found a dead deer and a dead seal. I've also found watches and other personal stuff but no human body parts. The dead deer was funny because it was right below a bridge where people were fishing. It still had some hair and flesh on it as well as the eyes. I stuck my dive knife into the bottome of it and raised it slowly out of the water while I stayed below. My buddy was on the beach and said it scared the ***t out of everyone fishing. It was like the deer head popped up, looked around and went back down. :)

Video Diver:
On our deepest dive we found a skull in Truk (can't remember the wreck right now). The dive guide quickly put it back in a cupboard (!) after we left the room so as to thrill the next group of divers. Seemed wrong to me, but then... there was a lot wrong with Truk.

Bill
Bill@pwrvideo.com
http://www.pwrvideo.com

are there no rules out there for messing with war graves?

This does bring several questions to mind I been under the understanding that if the body is found at a wreck (a old one not one you are trying to search for for recovery) that you do not disturb the grave. I also been under the understanding if you found something just in a normal dive that you need to at least report if not surface it. What are the laws about this, are there any laws about this, whats our responsibility as divers?

Thankfully I have not made any grizzly discoveries of real human remains though I have posted my find a of a medical skelton that was dressed in torn cloths and covered with crabs in the treasure hunt forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom